ADVERTISEMENT

ANALYSIS Thursday Practice Report: What we saw, what we learned

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
ANTHONY DASHER

The word of today for the first workout of fall camp is hot. I'm talking HOT.
But that did not stop the Bulldogs.
The media did not receive a lot of time—three periods for maybe 13 minutes—but we have plenty of tidbits to pass along.
Here we go.

The first four wide receivers out of the blocks today during individual drills were Dillon Bell, Arian Smith, Dominick Lovett and Anthony Evans III.
Freshmen Sacovie White and Nitro Tuggle were in the second wave, along with transfer London Humphreys.
From a physical standpoint, Colbie Young is extremely impressive. Big target, who runs well.

The pecking order at quarterback is no surprise - Carson Beck, Gunner Stockton, Ryan Puglisi and Jaden Rashada, who is wearing No. 10. I'll tell you who looked very good though is preferred walkon Colter Ginn. Ginn (6-3, 203) is a bigger guy than I thought, and throws as good of a spiral as there is on the team.

Speaking of pecking orders, take the lineups of Day 1 warm-up drills with a huge grain of salt.
Nevertheless, at running back, the order was Trevor Etienne, Cash Jones, Roderick Robinson, and Branson Robinson. Nate Frazier was the first of the freshmen to take part in handoff drills, although Kirby Smart chastised him at the very end of availability for not running hard enough.

My first impression of tight end Ben Yurosek is maturity. He, along with Oscar Delp, was really setting the tempo for the tight ends during the drills I saw.

One of the first offensive linemen I wanted to check out was freshman Jahzare Jackson. Talk about a tall joker. Georgia lists the former basketball player at 6-10, and he's every inch of that. Jackson is a big project, being he hasn't played football in a few years, but you can see what coaches wanted to give him a shot.

As far as the rest of the offensive line, Dylan Fairchild and Micah Morris rotated at left guard.

Defensively, Jamaal Jarrett looks like he could still drop a few pounds, but he was getting after during practice.

Freshman Jordan Thomas impressed, as did South Carolina transfer Xzavier McLeod. Talking some violent hands there.

Star Joenel Aguero made some nice plays, including an interception that I personally witnessed.

Georgia's inside linebacker room is so impressive. Jalon Walker, CJ Allen, Raylen Wilson, Troy Bowles, Chris Cole ... Glenn Schumann may be the happiest of the assistant coaches on staff.

Much, much more to come.

JED MAY

I focused on the offense for today's session.

Freshman quarterback Ryan Puglisi is no longer wearing a knee brace. He missed much of the spring with a stress fracture.

On the injury recovery front, running back Branson Robinson looked great. He wore a regular red jersey, backing up Kirby Smart's notion that Robinson has no limitations.

Trevor Etienne and Nate Frazier also looked the part of a couple of newcomers. Etienne is one of those "short, but not small" guys.

The first wave of receivers/tight ends in routes on air went Arian Smith, Oscar Delp, Dominic Lovett, and Dillon Bell. The next group consisted of London Humphreys, Lawson Luckie, Anthony Evans, and Colbie Young.

At one point, Bell received some extra coaching from James Coley as the coach went through the steps of a route release.

Bell also made a nice over-the-shoulder, fingertip grab in routes on air. The same goes for freshman tight end Jaden Reddell.

Speaking of tight ends, Ben Yurosek looks like a slightly bigger Luckie to me.

The tight ends also got chewed out by Todd Hartley, who wanted to see some more aggression in a blocking drill.

The first-team offensive line consisted of Earnest Greene, Dylan Fairchild, Jared Wilson, Tate Ratledge, and Xavier Truss from left to right. The second group consisted of Jamal Meriweather, Micah Morris, Drew Bobo, an unknown player, and Monroe Freeling. The unknown player wore No. 70, which isn't listed on the roster Georgia gave us.

Mike Bobo harped on the receivers to have "late hands" when they went after the ball. He also got on freshman Nitro Tuggle for fading away from the ball as it got close to him.

As the teams transitioned to special teams, Kirby Smart yelled to Frazier, "Why are you walking? I thought you wanted to start on punt team."

Smart also asked Puglisi if he was "nervous or something" after he missed a few passes.

LANCE MCCURLEY

Dang, it was hot today. However, that didn't stop defensive backs coach Donte Williams from yelling at several players for taking their helmets off. During position drills, it looked like Daylen Everette and Julian Humphrey were first and second, and Daniel Harris and Ellis Robinson were third and fourth. Chris Peal also wore a black, non-contact jersey. The safety group was off working on the other side of the field.

It looks like Damon Wilson has hit the weight room in the past few months. He's a lot bigger than when I saw him during spring practice.

The inside linebackers were on the opposite sideline, but CJ Allen and Raylen Wilson were on the field together during position drills. Smael Mondon and Justin Williams ran together in one drill, and in another, Mondon was with Jalon Walker.

The outside linebackers and defensive linemen were working together. Chidera Uzo-Diribe was hard on players for "taking a play off." A few expletives were said. Scott complimented Xzavier McLeod several times for his effort. Nmandi Ogboko also looks like he's dropped some weight. As Dash said above, Jamaal Jarrett could shed some weight, but he was hitting the sleds hard, earning a pat on the back from Scott.

PATRICK GARBIN

Just before we were allowed to view the three-plus periods, Coach Smart was especially vocal. There was a lot of “hurry up!” and even a “Some of you are tired as f--- already!” Still, soon afterwards, Smart had high praise for receivers Dominic Lovett and especially Colbie Young.

Just as we walked on the field, Smart said he couldn’t hear Jaden Rashada’s snap count. The transfer quarterback was “like a mouse,” according to Smart.

Although the defensive line was missing some guys—I didn’t see Warren Brinson or Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins—it seemed to certainly make do, especially Jamaal Jarrett. Tray Scott seemed pleased overall with the sophomore, twice saying “There you go, Jamaal! That’s how you strike and drive!”

Smart to no one in particular at defensive line: “Work like no one is watching!”

At inside linebacker, I really liked how Chris Cole looked. He’s got some great size, comparatively speaking, and some quickness. He doesn’t look like a freshman (he did participate in the spring). Smael Mondon was out there participating.

Coach Donte Williams doesn’t seem to let up when working with the cornerbacks. He is always working. Williams instructed freshman Demelo Jones to keep his “eyes down more.” The coach praised freshman Ellis Robinson on multiple occasions.

I thought the safeties looked good overall. On back-to-back reps, Joenel Aguero made one interception where he tipped the ball with one hand and corralled it and another where he fell on his back to grab the ball. It was impressive. Justyn Rhett had a nice pick, as well. Redshirt freshman Chris Peal was in a no-contact black jersey.

The sixth period began with punt team. As the team was getting in place, Smart questioned why some players were walking. A little earlier, he had asked freshman quarterback Ryan Puglisi what sounded like if he was “nervous.”

At one point, Smart on his mic said something on the order of, “Hey, NFL scouts, our best players play on punt team.” He then named off the following jersey numbers: No. 24 (Malaki Starks), No. 11 (Jalon Walker), No. 32 (Chaz Chambliss), and No. 4 (Oscar Delp). Smart then mentioned “the gunners,” No. 6 (Daylen Everette) and No. 11 (Arian Smith), and added a stat on how good Georgia was vs. punt return last season.

There were at least a few NFL scouts out there today. I saw one from the New York Giants and another from the Seattle Seahawks.

For the one punt drill we saw, Anthony Evans was the return man. Following a return, Smart said to Evans that “everything matters.” The coach then referenced a dropped pass that Evans had—and apparently Smart witnessed—this morning in the indoor facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.