ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Top 3 Grateful Dead Songs

Terrapin Station
Brokedown Palace
Standing on the Moon (surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet)
I mean, if you love the Dead, this is really an exercise for fun, no way anyone who loves GD can narrow to 3 songs. So have fun with it, I guess!

• Love
Reactions: AgentMuschamp
Why? Because it is popular? You like what you like. It is a badass song. The “you aren’t authentic enough for me” BS exposes you a lot more than it does the guy who just likes the damned song.
Music is subjective = i get that. I was just having a little fun with Bailey Dawg

Reactions: -lowcountrydawg
It is so much easier to list the one's I don't like, and I realize that my list may be blasphemy, but I don't like:

Dark Star
Loser
Black Peter

Terrapin and Wharf Rat are not my faves, but they can be ok (I know others love them...)

All others probably enter my top 3 depending on day/time/headspace

Reactions: Jimy jenga
Music is subjective = i get that. I was just having a little fun with Bailey Dawg
I get it. To steal an analogy from the best fried chicken thread, TOG is the Publix fried chicken in the Dead archive. Not the coolest or most unique take to call it one of the best, but it is still really good.

Reactions: klev21
It is so much easier to list the one's I don't like, and I realize that my list may be blasphemy, but I don't like:

Dark Star
Loser
Black Peter

Terrapin and Wharf Rat are not my faves, but they can be ok (I know others love them...)

All others probably enter my top 3 depending on day/time/headspace

love loser . Black Peter used to be a skip for me. It really grew on me and now I really like it . I would say it definitely falls more in the wharf rat type of music . Tranceish

Nobody has mentioned Deal either. I love that one...Jerry does such great work on that song.

Also, haven't seen a crazy fingers or a when I paint my masterpiece.

A list of their best covers would have Masterpiece on it. And I know Morning Dew is a cover but I think most would consider it a GD song since I'm not sure anyone has ever heard the original.

Reactions: AgentMuschamp
A list of their best covers would have Masterpiece on it. And I know Morning Dew is a cover but I think most would consider it a GD song since I'm not sure anyone has ever heard the original.

Agreed. Masterpiece is almost not even a cover in my book. Dylan wrote it but never truly released it.

Nice OP.
Peggy-o, black muddy river, ripple

for all those interested, i produced an action sports film with the dead called “fire on the mountain”. Narrated by Bill Walton.

I heard someone talking about how good this was on the radio recently but haven't seen it.

Reactions: FranDawg
For anyone still watching this thread , love this show . Amazing weather report suite ...

good thread

1. Brown eyed women (Hartford 5/28/77)
2. Peggy O (Englishtown NJ 9/3/77)
3. Row Jimmy (Cornell 5/8/77)

good thread

1. Brown eyed women (Hartford 5/28/77)
2. Peggy O (Englishtown NJ 9/3/77)
3. Row Jimmy (Cornell 5/8/77)
PSA: Billy Strings tonite starts a 6 night run at Capitol Theatre - Port Chester 50 years after the Dead did the same. First and last night stream free; others are very modest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT