ADVERTISEMENT

Trump on Rogan

I have listened to his rambling about tariffs and he states that the other side will pay for them (just like Mexico, right??)… the tariffs he is proposing are paid by the IMPORTER (the US) which will essentially automatically increase the price to the American consumer.

He is preying on people that do not understand, like himself and other un-educated whites (his base), basic economic principles.
Well, take it easy buddy. You’re educated and don’t seem that bright to me. I think he’s preying on emotional headcases . YMMV.

What I want to know from all you Trumpers who are complaining about grocery, goods and gas prices… please explain on 10-20% tariffs and up to 60% tariffs on Chinese imports are going to make things cheaper?

I honestly don’t think you or Trump know how tariffs work.

Also - explain how mass deportations is going to make life cheaper as well.

I’ll wait…
Why don’t you explain? Obviously you don’t know. An influx of more people in communities demand more supplies and as that supply shrinks prices go up. His tariffs philosophy has been used to threaten high prices on incoming goods in order to encourage better negotiations with other countries. When a better deal is negotiated, it helps both countries. It’s not one-sided

What I want to know from all you Trumpers who are complaining about grocery, goods and gas prices… please explain on 10-20% tariffs and up to 60% tariffs on Chinese imports are going to make things cheaper?

I’ll wait…
To level set, I didn't vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, am still not a fan, but did vote for him this time.

What took me a long time to learn is he is a New York Real Estate guy who is always negotiating and that you simply cannot take him literally. That is different than saying he is lying. (but yes, he does lie from time to time but don't they all. Kamala's big one last night was that Trump can ban abortions nationwide without congress. But I digress)

He said crazy stuff about leaving NATO if Europe didn't carry its weight and not defending Europe against Russia. People went nuts, said he lost his mind, said he was in Putin's pocket. But what happened? Europe started spending more on defense and we stayed in NATO.

I suspect tariffs the same thing. It's not that he doesn't believe in them to some extent, but he is playing chess by making threats, and he will likely get most of what he wants without tariffs.

I’ll wait…

This is hilarious. Harris can't even explain her own policies....And you demand answers from Trump supporters?

Just days ago, Harris said she was going to make things cheaper, by doing what we need to do, to bring costs down. And you are questioning Trump voters??

I’ll wait…
Ok, Pharm. I’ll play..

But, here are the rules.. no conjecturing on what MIGHT happen. We have to discuss real data. And it needs to be non-partisan. You up for it?

Real facts:

In 2011, Barack Obama put tariffs on Chinese Solar modules, ranging from 15% -250%
In 201, Obama put additional and new tariffs on Chinese and Taiwanese solar modules
In 2017, Donald Trump put tariffs of 25% on solar modules from effectively the rest of the world.
In 2022, Joe Biden renewed the Trump tariffs.

Real fact:

Over that duration, the cost of imported solar panels FELL approximately 85%

“A significant portion of the cost declines over the past decade can be attributed to an 85% cost decline in module price. A decade ago, the module alone cost around $2.50 per watt, and now an entire utility-scale PV system costs around $1 per watt,” said NREL Senior Financial Analyst David Feldman. “

The data irrefutably shows that tariffs did not result in an increase in price of the tariffed product in the U.S. Rather, it forced the Chinese government into a more robust, and unsustainable, pattern of increased subsidization of a targeted key “China 2025” industry.

In fact, one of the largest drivers of the price decline was China’s illegal (by WTO rules) subsidation of their industry that led to approximately 4x over-capacity relative to global demand.

The strategic consequence: after a decade of growing Chinese advantage, reflected as a percentage of domestic market share, over the last 36 months, US manufacturing has INCREASED, as a percentage of domestic market share, as China has continued to fall.

I don’t think anyone has said that tariffs are a quick fix, but they are 1 tool that can effectively be used to shift the cost burden back to China in areas in which the Chinese believe are strategic to their economic interests. The bet is that the Chinese economy is more dependent on the U.S. buying its goods cheaply , than the U.S. economy is on buying Chinese goods cheaply.

We have spent the better part of 40 years offshoring our manufacturing. To expect the hangover from a 40-year binge to pass rapidly is unrealistic. This is detox, not a morning after from a wild night.

To level set, I didn't vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, am still not a fan, but did vote for him this time.

What took me a long time to learn is he is a New York Real Estate guy who is always negotiating and that you simply cannot take him literally. That is different than saying he is lying. (but yes, he does lie from time to time but don't they all. Kamala's big one last night was that Trump can ban abortions nationwide without congress. But I digress)

He said crazy stuff about leaving NATO if Europe didn't carry its weight and not defending Europe against Russia. People went nuts, said he lost his mind, said he was in Putin's pocket. But what happened? Europe started spending more on defense and we stayed in NATO.

I suspect tariffs the same thing. It's not that he doesn't believe in them to some extent, but he is playing chess by making threats, and he will likely get most of what he wants without tariffs.
You figured it out. Same thing with dealing with these crazy foreign leaders like Kim, Putin and Lee. He manipulates them through the media

I’m fifteen minutes in and will listen the entire interview during a long car ride today.

So question for you and my other friends on the thread who find the interview so fantastic. For the sake of argument, try and imagine you oppose another Trump presidency (impossible, I know, but give it a shot). From that perspective, is there anything about that first ten to fifteen minutes you might be critical of or find concerning?

I’ll be in the car driving to and from the state championship for Cross Country (my daughter is in 7th grade and competing on varsity, which is fun) so I won’t be back online until this evening. I will share my full thoughts then.
lol

That's it on the nose.
His detractors take him literally, but not seriously.
His supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

Once one makes the paradigm shift from taking everything only at face value and start looking at the goals, the perception of the man changes. I may find some comments cringy at face value, but can't argue with the intended result.

Everybody should watch this in full. Three hours, long-form interview. It's amazing.
Well, I agree, that interview is amazing. There were so many comments from Trump of such hair-raising stupidity that it’s amazing the guy has an even-money shot at being POTUS again.

There is a lot to chose from, but the discussion of water in California was a real highlight. Just shear idiocy on display. It’s a great example of what happens when you combine deep ignorance and limitless hubris. No understand of any aspect of the issue, but he’s convinced he can fix it while offering up zero in the way of a plan. We just need to get all that Canadian water that is wasted into the Pacific down to California, natch.

Trump’s response to whether he won the last election or not perfectly summed up his position on the matter. Blithering nonsense.

To my comment earlier in the day, the issue with the first fifteen minutes that I had was the Rogan asked Trump a relatively simple question, which was what his first day in the WH was like. His answer was wandering mess, from the Lincoln bedroom to Lincoln’s height and large bed, to Abe and Mary Todd’s depression to Lee’s battle record and on and on with topics having zero to do with Trump’s first day in office. Trump’s famous weave is just marketing talk for an inability to come close to staying on topic.

Final thought. The discussion of Trump’s ear post-assassination was interesting. Fair to say that Rogan struggled to see a scar.

Well, I agree, that interview is amazing. There were so many comments from Trump of such hair-raising stupidity that it’s amazing the guy has an even-money shot at being POTUS again.

There is a lot to chose from, but the discussion of water in California was a real highlight. Just shear idiocy on display. It’s a great example of what happens when you combine deep ignorance and limitless hubris. No understand of any aspect of the issue, but he’s convinced he can fix it while offering up zero in the way of a plan. We just need to get all that Canadian water that is wasted into the Pacific down to California, natch.

Trump’s response to whether he won the last election or not perfectly summed up his position on the matter. Blithering nonsense.

To my comment earlier in the day, the issue with the first fifteen minutes that I had was the Rogan asked Trump a relatively simple question, which was what his first day in the WH was like. His answer was wandering mess, from the Lincoln bedroom to Lincoln’s height and large bed, to Abe and Mary Todd’s depression to Lee’s battle record and on and on with topics having zero to do with Trump’s first day in office. Trump’s famous weave is just marketing talk for an inability to come close to staying on topic.

Final thought. The discussion of Trump’s ear post-assassination was interesting. Fair to say that Rogan struggled to see a scar.
So tell us what you really think. Congratulations, you have four more years to hate DJT. I hope your daughter ran well today

Wow. That's what you got out of all of that? Not trying to be snarky, but your quoted post above reads like you were assigned to find something...anything...to find fault with. It's a pedantic mess.

I wish you applied similar standards to anything that Harris has said the last two weeks. The CNN Townhall alone was ripe for criticism.

Reactions: stray

He actually answered that question succinctly. The 'extra' was just that..."extra". Your complaints here are clearly colored by an overwhelming bias/predetermined opinion on Trump. It's a cliche, but I think it's clear now that he could literally announce the cure for cancer & you'd find something to take issue with.

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

Ok, Pharm. I’ll play..

But, here are the rules.. no conjecturing on what MIGHT happen. We have to discuss real data. And it needs to be non-partisan. You up for it?

Real facts:

In 2011, Barack Obama put tariffs on Chinese Solar modules, ranging from 15% -250%
In 201, Obama put additional and new tariffs on Chinese and Taiwanese solar modules
In 2017, Donald Trump put tariffs of 25% on solar modules from effectively the rest of the world.
In 2022, Joe Biden renewed the Trump tariffs.

Real fact:

Over that duration, the cost of imported solar panels FELL approximately 85%

“A significant portion of the cost declines over the past decade can be attributed to an 85% cost decline in module price. A decade ago, the module alone cost around $2.50 per watt, and now an entire utility-scale PV system costs around $1 per watt,” said NREL Senior Financial Analyst David Feldman. “

The data irrefutably shows that tariffs did not result in an increase in price of the tariffed product in the U.S. Rather, it forced the Chinese government into a more robust, and unsustainable, pattern of increased subsidization of a targeted key “China 2025” industry.

In fact, one of the largest drivers of the price decline was China’s illegal (by WTO rules) subsidation of their industry that led to approximately 4x over-capacity relative to global demand.

The strategic consequence: after a decade of growing Chinese advantage, reflected as a percentage of domestic market share, over the last 36 months, US manufacturing has INCREASED, as a percentage of domestic market share, as China has continued to fall.

I don’t think anyone has said that tariffs are a quick fix, but they are 1 tool that can effectively be used to shift the cost burden back to China in areas in which the Chinese believe are strategic to their economic interests. The bet is that the Chinese economy is more dependent on the U.S. buying its goods cheaply , than the U.S. economy is on buying Chinese goods cheaply.

We have spent the better part of 40 years offshoring our manufacturing. To expect the hangover from a 40-year binge to pass rapidly is unrealistic. This is detox, not a morning after from a wild night.
You have just done the unthinkable using what liberals call unsupported assertions, otherwise known as facts.

Reactions: ugadoc
Wow. That's what you got out of all of that? Not trying to be snarky, but your quoted post above reads like you were assigned to find something...anything...to find fault with. It's a pedantic mess.

I wish you applied similar standards to anything that Harris has said the last two weeks. The CNN Townhall alone was ripe for criticism.
Welcome to the party, pal.,

Reactions: Zonadog

I’ll wait…
Mass deportation easy- they are costing billions to support. They are given food shelter plane tickets phones while out poor suffer. They are not working so no construction to society or taxes. They clog up our hospitals where they don’t pay. Kids in school that don’t speak English which diminishes our kids education. Plus all the crime and devastation. The illegals being deported will save billions. Legal immigration is fine. Illegal invasion is NOT!
Tariffs are to encourage businesses to open and produce goods in the US by allowing them to compete against the slave produced goods from China. In addition it is a bargaining tool. Those countries put tariffs on our imports so they don’t purchase from us. Time we do the same.
Manufacturing must be done here. All our feel phones could have a kill switch installed where cons can cut off service with the flick of a switch for all we know. Most of our medicines are made out of the country. That is both a risk that they are inferior or could be poisoned and if war breaks out they could easily cut us off leaving many without life saving medicine. Some things MUST be made here to protect us. The more made in the US the more jobs and taxes paid the richer and more stable our nation is. I think it’s pretty simple.

I think he’s forgotten more about tariffs than you’ll ever know. If you actually listen to what he says , he tells you how they benefit the US.

Also the fact that so far we have spent $200 billion on illegals, getting rid of a shitload of them will save us billions . Our schools and hospitals are overrun with them and we can’t support them. Send them back to wherever the **** they came from. I find the open borders to be the most insulting thing this Administration has done, actually any Administration.
Open borders are treason and should be treated as such against those in power who did it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT