ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE *****Tuesday Practice Report***** UPDATED with 5 sets of notes

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Afternoon all.
It's week 3 of preseason practice, and today the Bulldogs took it inside. Not 100 percent sure if it was planned, but there were showers and lightning in the area earlier.
Here's what we saw

Injury update

...Cornerback Kamari Lassiter was back at practice, albeit in a black jersey. He seemed to be moving around without any issues. Ditto for defensive tackle Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins, who was in a white jersey.
Now for who we did not see:
There was no sign of tight end Lawson Luckie. Sources say he suffered some sort of ankle injury. It's unclear how serious.
Was also no sign of linebacker Raylen Wilson, linebacker Smael Mondon, defensive back Chris Peal. or running back Kendall Milton.

...The first team offensive line remains the same - LT Earnest Greene III, LG Xavier Truss, C Sedrick Van Pran, RG Tate Ratledge, RT Amarius Mims. Second team OL - LT Austin Blaske, LG Micah Morris, C Jared Wilson, RG Dylan Fairchild, RT Chad Lindberg.

...Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, Dominic Lovett, and Ladd McConkey are the first group of receivers. Today, Jackson Meeks, Mekhi Mews and Arian Smith ran with the second unit. Today, freshmen Tyler Williams, Anthony Evans and Zeed Haynes ran as the third group.

...Senior walk-on Sevaughn Clark repped with the third team during one team offensive drill. Daijun Edwards was the first back, and Andrew Paul the second. For those wondering, yes, Roderick Robinson is practicing, just did not go with the groups during the brief time we were watching.

...AJ Harris is a very physical corner. Young man is not afraid to hit.

PATRICK GARBIN

…We observed the first three periods of practice inside the IAF. For the first period, the running backs received short passes from the quarterbacks. Defenders attempted to force a fumble on each rep. Fwiw, the running-back order during the drill: Cash JonesDaijun EdwardsAndrew PaulSevaughn ClarkJoseph Daniels. Branson Robinson was in a black non-contact jersey.

…For the second period, Georgia was in an 11-on-11 hurry-up drill with each of its top three quarterbacks running three-four plays. The play-by-play:

Carson Beck throws a short sideline pass to Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint.
- Beck to Rosemy-Jacksaint on a similar play (nice fake to Edwards).
(Kirby Smart is counting down between plays: 7-6-5…)
- Beck throws a longer pass to Rosemy-Jacksaint—a nice back-shoulder throw that should have been caught but dropped.
- Again, Beck throws to Rosemy-Jacksaint for about a 15-yard gain.

…During the drill, UGA's No. 1 offensive line was what Dash mentioned: Greene—Truss—Van Pran—Ratledge—Mims.

- Brock Vandagriff completes a short pass to Andrew Paul.
- Nice throw by Vandagriff to C.J. Smith for at least 15 yards.
- Vandagriff’s third throw should have been incomplete, but Mekhi Mews made a terrific catch in traffic.
- Play of the Drill: Vandagriff throws a long pass down the left sideline, Jackson Meeks somehow made the catch with a man draped on him and while falling backwards.

- Gunner Stockton completes a sideline pass to Anthony Evans.
- Stockton throws to Clark coming out of the backfield for a short gain.
- On his last play of the drill, Stockton threw a long dart to a wide-open Pearce Spurlin down the right sideline.

…I noticed a scout from the New York Giants watching practice.

JED MAY

…Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins
and Kamari Lassiter were out at practice today. Lassiter had a black non-contact jersey on. No sign of Smael Mondon, Raylen Wilson, or Chris Peal.

…Malaki Starks and AJ Harris had nice tackles in a no-huddle drill during the first portion of the viewing period.

…Speaking of Harris, he and Julian Humphrey were working with the first-team at corner during that no-huddle drill. Tykee Smith went at star. Nyland Green and Daylen Everette went with the second team, with Lassiter sitting out that part of the viewing period.

…Jamon Dumas-Johnson and Xavian Sorey worked with the first team at inside linebacker. CJ Allen and Terrell Foster got some reps with the second unit.

…The defensive backs went through a run support drill before then switching to a man coverage drill. Harris had another nice tackle, as did Humphrey. Lassiter also had a nice pass breakup.

…I was also impressed with freshman defensive back Daniel Harris. He's listed at 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds on the roster, but he is LONG out there on the outside.

LANCE MCCURLEY

I am the newest addition to UGASports.com. I am grateful that Radi contacted me about this position. I will be a recruiting analyst posting on the Vault and will also handle team coverage as well. Enough about me for now, though. Go check the Vault later, I will do a full introduction, but here are a few practices I gathered today.

…I tried to mainly focus on the freshmen in the short time Kirby gave us. DB AJ Harris went up against another first-year Bulldog in RB Andrew Paul during a rep. This was when the RBs were catching balls out of the backfield and trying to evade defenders. Paul didn’t shy away from contact as the blocker couldn’t contain Harris, who took the Texas native to the ground. Harris displayed great speed on the ball and was eyeing down a patch to get past the WR blocking for Paul.

…Freshman ILB TroyBowles is built like a brick house. UGA Athletics lists him at 6-foot and 200 pounds. He certainly fills out that frame and can run, too.

…I noticed during position drills that freshman DB Daniel Harris was running third behind Nyland Green and Kamari Lassiter, who was in a black non-contact jersey, but still looked to be running full-speed. Two DBs ran together, one acted as a receiver, and the other was doing their job covering as a defender. Harris batted away two balls on consecutive drills from what I assume was a walk-on DB.

…While the running backs were in front of me, I didn’t see freshman Roderick Robinson, but maybe Patrick saw him. I wasn’t paying that much attention to them after the drills rotated. However, I did hear Scott Cochran tell Paul, who was the No. 2 player in a drill where the RBs were with the DBs, to “run through this [guy].”

…I did notice freshman EDGE Gabe Harris practicing behind Chaz Chambliss and Marvin Jones Jr when the offense and defense were together for a short time at the start. The two units quickly separated as the media walked into the facility. Harris seems a little taller than 6-foot-4 but moved well trying to find the man the ball. I noticed his speed at a practice last week and Tray Scott praised him.

…Other than watching for freshmen, I heard DBs coach Fran Brown say a rep during position drills was, to paraphrase, "soft," but other than that, I didn’t hear the coaches trying to tear their players down today. Smart was yelling a lot, of course, but he was instructing as he went instead of calling players out.

…As far as Lassiter goes, he was running fine, and his injury has already been well-documented. RB Branson Robinson was in a black non-contact uniform as well. Again, if you refer back to last week, Smart gave an update on his injury and status.

RADI NABULSI

Watching Warren Brinson and Xavier Truss go head-to-head was fun.
Earnest Green took on Warren Brinson (hard to see the number but thought that’s who it was).

Running back Joseph Daniels ran into cornerback AJ Harris. Haris was spun around but he was congratulated on the rep.

Daijun Edwards was stopped by Julian Humphrey who grabbed Edwards high.

Kirby was telling everyone to “stay up” as in don’t tackle to the ground. He was all over the Z receivers.

The hurry-up offense section we watched was called “Fastball.” Kirby introduced it by telling them they only had “four plays four plays, four plays” to get it done.

Beck’s two passes to Marcus Rosemy were good. Despite the speed, the offense moved well. Kirby seemed happy but who knows? Delp was praised by Smart with the second team.

The long pass to Jackson Meeks that Patrick mentioned above had to make him feel good after getting teased by Mike Bobo last week about his speed. Meeks seemed excited.

Gunner Stockton to Anthony Evans is a combination I’d like to see more. It worked well on the third team. Sevaughn Clark was swallowed up by Danlel Harris and Justin Rhett.

Damon Wilson was tossed to the ground by Joshua Miller. Freshman on freshman crime.

Fran Brown is a salty Dawg.

Daylen Everett likes to pop pads even in individual drills. Same with Daniel Harris./ AJ Harris continues to impress. Brown praised Nyland Green.

The wide receivers were running cones, and believe it or not, Dillon Bell got through them quicker than Arian Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News