ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Twitter “rate limit exceeded”

Twitter is losing advertisers left and right. He has to force people to pay to become verified users to get more content. In other words, he hopes to replace advertising dollars with subscriber dollars. It is a huge risk. With fewer views per viewer his advertising will take an even bigger dive unless paid subscribers explode in number. My best guess - death spiral.

many ITT need not quit their day jobs. Musk is a loon but he cut the employees by over 80%, dramatically reduced overhead, cut down on the fraud and twitter has a chance to actually……..make money.

This is a company that was losing hundreds of millions a year pre acquisition.

What’s the boards opinion/explanation for the new rule on the twitters?
FWIW, the limit increase is up to 10,000 for verified, 1000 for unverified & 500 for new unverified.

From my understanding, this is all temporary.

Twitter has been an unmitigated disaster since Musk took over. With the Twitter Blue crap, now you can’t even tell if you’re engaging with a legitimate person now because someone just needs to pay a few bucks and they’ll get a blue check. Servers have been trash. Now with this latest update, he’s literally restricting his user base to its most valuable resource, the tweets. All throughout the day today, I have to wait 45 minutes or so before I am allowed to refresh tweets. He is limiting his advertiser’s impressions thereby decreasing their value. Twitter’s single best attribute is its immediacy and ability to disseminate information at a moment’s notice. He has totally killed the product.

Last edited:
He fixed Twitter for me. I dropped it and started reading more.
e683359e53e8af5c.png

Dammit he got me!

many ITT need not quit their day jobs. Musk is a loon but he cut the employees by over 80%, dramatically reduced overhead, cut down on the fraud and twitter has a chance to actually……..make money.

This is a company that was losing hundreds of millions a year pre acquisition.
Expect that Twitter has done nothing but lose revenue since he took over

Expect that Twitter has done nothing but lose revenue since he took over
When you cut expenses by over 80% you can take a small hit in revenue (much of which he claims has been re-established).

But no doubt this is a really clunky move that is likely driven by other forces.

I am glad the censorship has ended so hopefully he survives.

Yeah that’s what he wants everyone to think. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence their $1B contract with Google Cloud storage lapsed literally today. They are working to move things off Google Cloud but it isn’t a trivial task.

This 100%.

The liberal Elon 180 vitriol is hilarious to me. He is arguably (maybe not even arguably) the single most influential human being ever in the democrat fight against climate change / global warming whatever you want to call it.

He is everything that liberals love. A highly intelligent scientist. He even voted for Joe Biden.

Now he’s public enemy number one. He dared question Covid lockdowns. Dared to share “conspiracy theories”. He’s full right wing now.

The 180 on Elon is as good a case study as exists regarding liberal thinking and “tolerance”.
Doesn’t it actually show an ability to reevaluate based on new information and to not be dogmatic in one’s view of the world?

Elon has had some very unfortunate posts and has boosted or retweeted some truly despicable posts from other people. That’s his most direct channel for sharing his thoughts and values and I form an opinion based on that. I’m not saying he can’t post whatever he wants. It’s his platform. I just don’t like it.

I appreciate what Elon has accomplished with Tesla. I wish he had a little more appreciation for the very significant role government subsidies and tax rebates have had in his success.

Regarding the latest developments at Twitter, rumors is Elon isn’t paying his bills and Google is throttling their bandwidth. I’ve also seen some evidence of technical issues.

Regardless, I think one way or the other this new plan introduction suggesting this is intentional is BS.

Private businesses can do whatever they want—good or bad in the public eye. They only answer to the shareholders and applicable regulation.
Exactly. @MacGATA doesn’t seem to get that the outrage he alludes to came because Twitter said it wasn’t banning/censoring or shadow banning people for political reasons (which Musk has said was blatantly false and which Dorsey lied about under oath in front of Congress on multiple occasions). On this issue, Musk has been completely open about what he is doing.

To your point, whether people like it doesn’t really matter.

Follow me on Bluesky! 😆 it’s the beta version of the site Jack Dorsey (Twitter founder) created after selling Twitter.

https://bsky.app/profile/dayneyoung.bsky.social

I have some beta invite codes if y’all actually want to join.

I don’t know if it will be a hit, but I’m checking it out. It would be a hoot if the guy made the money from selling Twitter and then just replaced it with the same thing
Slang me one

I don’t really understand why people think they have standing to be outraged about changes to a service that they don’t pay for.

For me, it’s because it’s probably the single biggest outlet for curated content specific to my interests. It allows me to cut out all the crap seen on Facebook and Instagram. It’s perfect for news, all in a centralized platform. News hits the feed in real time before other outlets have time to broadcast or publish. There is no other platform like it that’s as widely adopted.

Twitter has never nailed the revenue generation plan. Other platforms like Facebook and Instagram don’t need user subscriptions because the user’s interaction is paid by their time and eyeballs. It allows them to collect data and tailor ads with higher success rates. Twitter hasn’t done that. But Twitter going the subscription route and limiting tweets is not the answer, either. I feel confident it will tank the product, minimize advertisement impressions on users, and the end result will be an eventual consumer shift away to another platform.

When you cut expenses by over 80% you can take a small hit in revenue (much of which he claims has been re-established).

But no doubt this is a really clunky move that is likely driven by other forces.

I am glad the censorship has ended so hopefully he survives.
Elon has worked with dictators to help silence opposition parties and voices. So there is still plenty of censorship.

Well pull all your facts out of you're imagination then. Life is a lot easier when your only citation is what makes you feel the best. Some just grow out of acting like a 5 year old.
Yikes - I am just looking for a reputable site. Or not - no big deal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT