ADVERTISEMENT

Two red zone offense thoughts…

FivePtsDawg

El Guapo
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Dunwoody
1) It still boggles my mind that after almost 3 seasons, we still haven’t figured out a way to effectively integrate Darnell Washington into our red zone offense. He has 2 receiving touchdowns in his entire career, and one of those was last week when he was essentially uncovered after a pump fake to Brock. He could be the biggest red zone weapon in college football and yet we barely target him at all. I know Monken is a very smart, creative OC, so I can’t figure out why it’s so hard for him to get Darnell involved there.

2) After the game, Kirby said, “It was tough in the red area. They do a good job. They jam pack you down there.” I’m sorry, but if they’re on defense, how do they jam pack us in, or dictate how we have to line up? Our formation should dictate how they have to cover us, meaning if we wouldn’t stick all of our players inside a tight box, they wouldn’t be able to either. So why can’t we spread out and try to create space to either open up the running game or get easier passes down there? That apparent philosophy really troubles me and doesn’t seem like the normal alpha move that we’ve come to see from Kirby. We need to be dictating to the defense how they have to defend us, not the other way around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News