ADVERTISEMENT

Two rule changes that would make the college game much better...

andrepulpwood

National Champion
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2015
After watching last night's games, I'm reminded again of how bad the college targeting rule is. No great revelation here, but it's just awful. It's way too subjective and the officials often get it wrong even after reviewing it for ten minutes (the unnecessary length off all of these reviews is another pet peeve, but I digress). You just can't play tackle football on this level without having some plays where there will be helmet to helmet contact. It's inevitable. Unless it's malicious, make it a 15 yard penalty and move on like the NFL does. If you insist on something more punitive, make the kid sit out for the remainder of the quarter. The other rule change, not that it's not been widely suggested, is for any defensive player who gets "hurt" on a play and has to come out, make him sit out the remainder of the series or the quarter. That would presumably resolve these feigned injuries. These are simple fixes and long overdue. Now, GET OFF OF MY LAWN!! :) BTW, our lack of targeting penalties (have we even had one all year?) just tells you how well coached we are. Hope I didn't just bam us!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News