ADVERTISEMENT

***WAR ROOM*** UGA team and recruiting notes

Ben Bachmann

Choppy
Staff
Sep 19, 2018
Team

-First, I’ll talk about the team side of things. After talking to people at the scrimmage and in the program, I expect a big 2nd year from Silas Demary. I was told Demary has made adjustments to his jump shot and looks like a legit shooting threat now. Demary being a shooting threat will open the offense even more this season. Mike White likes to run his offense through his guards so expect big things out of Silas Demary and Tyrin Lawrence. I expect Lawrence to be the lead guard when Demary isn’t on the floor. I do expect Georgia will mix up who’s the 2 guard between Cain and Lawrence throughout the year though.

-Dylan James is making big strides like Demary I’m told. James will likely play more SF this year and has improved his jump shot like Demary.

-One noticeable upgrade for this Georgia team is post and center play. One source said Somto Cyril will be Georgia’s biggest offseason addition. Georgia has never had a legit center with the athleticism of Somto Cyril. Cyril is growing offensively and will be the best shot blocker Mike white has had in his team at Georgia so far.

-The hype around 5-star signee Asa Newell is legit. Multiple sources say Newell has opened eyes so far and in practices. Newell was effective on both ends of the court making and blocking shots. Newell’s ability to play in the post and on the perimeter is allowing Georgia to space the floor better.

-The transfer that’s opening eyes is Dakota Leffew. I was told Leffew can flat out score. The effort on both ends of the floor has been great and one source said he had the best showing at UGA’s recent scrimmage.

-Justin Abson’s ability to rebound and block shots has flashed a ton in practices. UGA sees Abson as someone who can run the 4 or the 5. RJ Godfrey versatility has flashed as well and could play both forward spots and defend all over the floor.

-The biggest takeaway for me from talking to people is that Georgia’s rebounding, versatility, and perimeter shooting is all improved.

Recruiting

Top 40 recruit guard Kayden Mingo is committing on November 1st. I talked yesterday about Mingo putting out a top 4 of UGA, PSU, VT, and Wake Forrest. After speaking with a few sources, I like Georgia to win out here. It’s a two-team race between UGA and PSU who still can’t be overlooked here.

One thing I was told as it pertains to Mingo is Mike White playing freshman early is helping. Another factor is Mike White running his offense through his guards. Anthony Goins is the lead recruiter here and without that hire UGA wouldn’t have a shot.

If Georgia lands Kayden Mingo on November 1st, it could have big implications for the 2026 class. Kayden’s brother Dylan Mingo is a 5-star PG in the 2026 class. I know he doesn’t report a UGA offer but Georgia will pursue. The last time Georgia pushed for a pair of brothers Jaden and Asa Newell it turned out well….

Another 2025 target Georgia is in on is 4-star SG Dante Allen out of Montverde academy. Allen is a Villanova legacy as his father played basketball for the Wildcats. After speaking with sources Villanova has the edge but Georgia is not giving up. A recent visit to UGA impressed Allen who’s being recruited hard by Erik Pastrana. Pastrana was the lead recruiter for Asa Newell who attended Montverde. It will be a tough pull for Georgia, but UGA isn’t giving up. I predict Allen commits to Villanova tomorrow.

-2025 C Jackson Mcvey put Georgia in his top 5 along with FSU, Florida, Georgia Tech, and Stanford. A source told me a couple weeks ago UGA was in good position but that was before Georgia landed 4-star Kareem Stagg. I am leaning towards Mcvey now ending up elsewhere. Mcvey has taken official visits to Georgia Tech, FSU, and Florida.

The No. 16 recruit in the 2026 class 4-star PF Moustapha Diop is another UGA target in the 2026 class to watch. Diop recently took his first official visit to Ole Miss who’s high on Diop’s list. Georgia’s coaching staff is in contact here and I expect to get a visit out of Diop at some point. Alabama and Missouri are also recruiting the elite power forward.

Georgia is recruiting the No. 8 recruit in the 2026 class Caleb Gaskins who is the No. 1 SF in the class. Gaskin is taking things slow and its early in the recruiting process, but Georgia will receive a visit at some point. UGA and FSU were the first two to offer the 5-star prospect. Gaskin attends Montverde Academy the same powerhouse high school that help produce Asa Newell.

The biggest name recruit on Georgia’s board in any class is the No. 4 recruit in the 2026 class SG Caleb Holt. Holt is the No. 1 recruit in the state of Georgia and a player Georgia has recruited for over 2 years now. Auburn and Alabama have been able to get Holt on campus recently. Holt’s first official visit will be to Ole Miss in November. I know there’s Georgia fans in Holt’s circle and he’s teammates with Georgia commit Jacob Wilkins. Holt visited UGA a couple times last year and will be a serious contender if they can get an official visit from Holt.

2026 SF Colben Landrew recently visited Georgia recently. Landrew is a player whose gained offers from Clemson and others recently. I expect Landrew to end up as a 4-star prospect in the next ranking update. Landrew recently transferred to Wheeler high school in Georgia. UGA, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, and others are recruiting Landrew early.

2026 PF MJ Madison is another recent visitor to UGA. Madison will likely be a 4-star prospect in the next set of rankings as well. Madison is currently playing at Long Island Lutheran in New York. Madison is now high school teammates with both Kayden and Dylan Mingo. Madison’s in state ties being from Georgia and being teammates with the Mingo brothers could play dividends if Georgia pushes here.

Observations

-This is Mike White’s 3rd season and one thing I’ve noticed is White is willing to recruit every powerhouse high school program in the country. Blue Cain and Kareem Stagg both come from IMG academy. Asa Newell and his brother Jayden both attended Montverde Academy along with multiple UGA targets. Somto Cyril played for Overtime Elite. Georgia is looking to states like Georgia and Florida well but with new assistant coach Anthony Goins are expanding to recruiting the northeast.

-One big issue I had with Georgia’s previous recruiting approach was the lack of recruiting high school centers. Somto Cyril, Kareem Stagg, and the pursuit of Jackson Mcvey shows me that has changed. I really like the blend of high school and transfer recruiting from coach White. UGA is getting good young talent and experience in spots it’s needed.

-Another factor that’s helping recruiting is Mike White has started signees as freshman except Mari Jordan since being the head coach. The transfer portal has taken over college sports and Georgia showing love to day one dawgs is appealing to recruits.

-I will make a prediction a month out from the season and that’s Georgia makes the NCAA tournament. UGA hasn’t had a center with the talent of Somto Cyril. Asa Newell is the most talented player Mike White has had at Georgia. Newell being a lottery pick and good pro wouldn’t shock many people. Silas Demary is poised to breakout alongside Blue Cain and Dylan James. Justin Abson and RJ Godfrey will allow UGA to be more flexible on defense and be a great rebounding team. Dakota Leffew and De’Shayne Montgomery can flat out score whether as starters or coming off the bench. Tyrin Lawrence being a guard with SEC experience you can run your offense through with Demary on the bench will help. If Georgia has the season I’m expecting and people in the program are expecting watch out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.