ADVERTISEMENT

UGA/UTex Media Takes: John Middlekauff and Josh Pate

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
JM: I heard a story yesterday actually from a buddy that is close with a coach on Georgia's staff, and that coach told him when they were getting ready to play TCU Tuesday of that week..... they went full padded practice and he's like you might as well thought this was the first scrimmage in Fall Camp He's like there was blood. He's like it was a war zone. I was on with Cowherd last week and I said the one thing with coaches, you can't fake toughness and at the end of the day Kirby is just a tough guy. That game against Texas was just a microcosm of everything he stands for as a coach. You can't fake that edge and I can't even imagine what it was like at Georgia for the seven days leading up to that game. Sark's done a good job. He's clearly improved a lot as a coach but if you're not truly a tough guy, and listen most offensive former quarterbacks are not, right? That's just not like.... Lane, Lincoln, that's not their thing. That's that's not who they are at their core. This is an overachieving safety who was mentored by Nick Saban, and it was on full display. You watch Georgia in that game and you take the second half of the Bama game... I know they've had some weird games... but even with a little shaky quarterback play, that defense man, I mean that's going to be tough to beat. I don't think anyone's beating them if their defense is bringing that intensity in a game. Obviously once they get to the playoffs or the SEC Championship or some of these big games, I don't know man. Walker coming off the edge? Holy moly!!

JP: I texted one of their staffers afterwards and said "Are you guys confident you can reach in your bag and pull that out three more times... you'll probably need that two or three more times....and if you are then that's a wrap for the season. It's a non-negotiable for them the whole toughness angle. It's not about hype or momentum or motivation. Everyone's hyped up for these games. That's the big misnomer. It's not about how loud the music is in the locker room, or what the pregame speech is like. This stuff is won in the spring. This stuff is won in summer workouts. You're talking about Bloody Tuesday. That's what they call their practices there every week, Bloody Tuesday. It's violent. It's unbelievable. It's far more taxing than the game will be on those players on Saturday, but that that's the only way they know. They'll they'll lose a couple of guys over the course of a season practicing in that way, but in their mind they'll lose a couple of games not practicing that way.

I went and watched Texas earlier this year against Michigan and that was a game that no one cares about now because Michigan's bad, but that was a game at the time where most of the country had convinced itself Texas is about flash and if Michigan can turn this into a street fight, Michigan will have a good shot to win this game. I remember talking to some of the Texas folks during that week and they were like "Dude, we hope it turns into a street fight. That's actually our game and the world doesn't know it yet." My point is they run things the same way Georgia does or they think they do and so I want to put it into context. Texas is as big and strong and fast as any roster in the country, including Georgia. If you see those guys in person and then you understand Georgia did what they did to those guys it would blow your mind that anyone could do that to Texas. That's really the differentiator in who gets to make $13 million a year to coach this sport. It's not cause Kirby Smart has an edge on the grease board when he talks X's and O's. It's not about how good he is in a pregame speech environment or anything like that. It is about taking your mentality, which is just eat glass for breakfast every day basically. You have to be able to make an entire building full of people think and act that way and some of them weren't born that way by the way. Some of them you have to put that mentality in them so that you can pull it out of them. It's like... it's like watching a bunch of people get their hands tied behind their back and there's a huge fan in front of their face and human nature would be to back away from it. Kirby Smart has his entire organization willing to just lean into it. They just trust him that it'll work out. It's so simple to say. It's so simple for us to say. We just did this in two minutes and yet it takes a lifetime to master that and most people won't master it even in a lifetime. But if you can, there's no limit on what you can achieve because you can get other people to do that collectively. That is the difference. There are guys, I guarantee you right now, sitting around busting their tail who have worked in football their entire lives who are making $60,000 in some support staff role and they're like how come this is what makes this guy worth 13 million. And it's cuz he can get other people to act like that. That's the difference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.