ADVERTISEMENT

Vols upset they are unranked in the preseason top 25..........of EA Sports NCAA football offensive power rankings

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
"They will never be able to sell that game again" Vol: lol wow, so they think schools like Arizona, Memphis, Kansas, and Virginia Tech will all have better offenses than Tennessee this year? LOL. LOLLL. I look forward to the inevitable "yeah we effed up" admission, because boy did they ever eff that up. I realize they'll say "oh it's because it's based on individual player ratings" or whatever, but if that's the case, then you messed up on those player ratings, buddies.

Erik Ainge Vol: Wow, and I thought they were gonna be a bit more accurate with this release. I also seen where their top ten stadium rankings don't include us. What a fn joke and slap in the face.

Snafu Vol: That list has to just forget about us. Clemson at 10? After being terrible last year? Yet we've been 1st and 9th in scoring last two years and not top 25. I just cant believe that

Rocky is Top Vol: We're ranked 13th in toughest places to play. Half the stadiums ranked above Tennessee on that toughest stadiums list aren't even worthy to sniff Neyland Stadium's proverbial jock strap.

"I actually spent time thinking about this shiola" Vol:
Let's pretend for a second that EA is playing 4D chess for engagement and traffic/news.

First you intentionally underrank Tennessee. You get engagement from Tennessee fans, and even neutral fans, saying "how can you forget Tennessee?" Lots of articles written about it, looking at other teams to compare, etc. More press than you'd get otherwise.

Then you have some references to the rating slight on national broadcasts. Picture Herbstreit talking over Tennessee highlights saying "Tennessee scoring 45 at so-and-so stadium, not bad for an 82-rated offense." Lots of little in-jokes from commentary. More free publicity.

And imagine if Iamaleava's so good he gets Heisman talk? There's be SO MUCH commentary on how EA missed the mark with that guy. More free publicity though.

And then EA comes out with a big mea culpa some games into the season, puts out comments, explains the re-ranking system, how they'll handle things in the future.

Then EA updates the game and ranks Tennessee's offense so high that it pisses off the haters, who say "how can you rank Tennessee higher than us!?" Lots more articles written about it, more press than you'd get otherwise. "That's too much!" "Iamaleava's not a 91, no way!" Etc., etc. Even more free publicity.

A win-win for EA across the board. Makes EA College Football a part of the narrative for most of the season, if not all of it.

Unlikely? I agree. A bit much, a bit too conspiratorial. BUT STILL. I could see a company doing it. It costs them nothing, and keeps them in the conversation on a weekly basis - especially if you believe Tennessee will have a great year and think they're a true dark horse to make waves.

"I have a real job" Vol: EA Sports???? Oh my Lord. That anybody would pay one lick of attention to that ranking is amazing to me. More click bait. I mean they put Memphis on the list and their schedule outside of Florida State looks like something out of a Pop Warner league. They obviously don’t take opposition into account. Must be ranking them with no defense on the field.

"Dad, you're so lame" Vol: This is the first college football game in 11 years and the first one to ever have real players. A lot of us who have been looking forward to the game would like some realism

Vol Son's friend: Mr. Vol, Good grief, we've already been over this. This isn't just a disagreement of opinions. "What EA Sports thinks" impacts the actual gameplay. I can't speak for the "dissing Tennessee" angle, but the ratings will have a direct impact on the game experience. So here we are, excited to play the first college football game in a decade, and EA's basically saying "hey, thanks for your 59.99 but your big high octane offense actually sort of sucks this year."

"Son, those players in that game aren't real. Just like they weren't real when they didn't get a dime for being in that game" Vol: Maybe I’m missing something and I’m probably too old for this discussion. “Real” players in a video game? How is that possible?

"Really gonna be next to impossible to pretend I'm playing a real football game now" Vol: Hard to take this game seriously after that list

"This is gonna really kill our chance of making the EA Sports CFP" Vol: Tennessee has the #3 most points scored over the last 3 seasons combined. This is such a joke.

"Prime Time owns EA Sports shares" Vol:
We aren't in the top 25 for offense or defense.

Colorado however is 8th on offense and 20th on defense. What a complete clownshow EA is.

"They won't be getting any of my moonshine money" Vol: Yea I’m probably canceling my preorder they massively screwed us over

"Kirby has a friend working there. They're trying to hurt our recruiting" Vol: The stadium rankings were bad but this there isn't a good explanation for this except for it being done intentionally.

"Son, it's just a video game." Vol: But at the end of the day it’s a video game and not real, correct? So how in the world should a video game ranking mean anything to anybody other than a video game player? In the real world, that non-ranking means zip.

"Dad, you don't understand my generation" Vol: Sports simulation games are supposed to represent realism. If you don’t have any interest in video games then I don’t expect you to see it from our standpoint.

"I want to see the names of the voters in the EA Sports poll and their ballots" Vol:

I'm seeing win projections of 10-2 but we arent a top 25 offense or defense in this game. It doesn't add up

Mainstream media bias Vol:

So Tennessee won't be higher than an 83 in either offense or defense. This is ****ing ridiculous. This is why Tennessee hates the media. It's constant nonsense like this trying to diminish our team's success.

Internet terrorism Vol: Sounds like there is a lot of frustration about this, how about we email bomb EA? Does anyone on here know anyone that works for EA?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: athensdawg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News