ADVERTISEMENT

Waaaay ND. Lets talk hot tubs shall we

1gadave

I am Spartacus!
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2001
CARTERSVILLE, GEORGIA
Who here has one. Gimme pros and cons. Looking to acquire one from my neighbor who is getting rid of his because he never uses it. (Which is a con)
When you look for reviews online all you see is horror stories, but everyone I've known that has one I've never heard complaints. Which is only a few people so very small sample size.
So it gets a bit confusing.
I've always wanted one and definitely think I'll use it on a fairly regular basis.
Had a deck built last year and Had it reinforced in anticipation of getting one.
This is a 5-6 person with a lounge seat.
800lbs dry weight.
One of my things wonder is what the cost might be to move it from his house to my house because I'm going to have to hire somebody that's got some sort of lift that can get it up on my deck.

You better make sure that you deck can handle the load of a filled hot tub.

We had one for 10+ years. It was nice - especially in the winter. But in my opinion, it was something else to take care of. We used it a lot the first year. Occasionally the second/third year, and rarely for the next 5-6. In that time we had some basic maintenance repairs like filters, a new pump and new heater replacement. No major issues. But it finally became something we so rarely used it wasn’t worth it. So my advice is to think about how often you’ll use it and divide by three.
Again, it was really nice and we enjoyed it when we used it - which was rarely in the grand scheme of things. Good luck with your decision!
JC

We had one for 10+ years. It was nice - especially in the winter. But in my opinion, it was something else to take care of. We used it a lot the first year. Occasionally the second/third year, and rarely for the next 5-6. In that time we had some basic maintenance repairs like filters, a new pump and new heater replacement. No major issues. But it finally became something we so rarely used it wasn’t worth it. So my advice is to think about how often you’ll use it and divide by three.
I've enjoyed mine but agreed on "something else to take care of"

I would never have got it if it didn't come with the house. With that said, it's very nice in the winter.

one thing - if you do it, you've got to keep an eye on the chem. If it gets out of balance it can really make a mess of people's skin (chem goes out of balance and those with sensitive skin can wind up with folliculitis). One question you might research - what is your water like? city water does generally better than well water, etc... as the former is professionally maintained and balanced, whereas the latter can be all over the place so you have to adjust for that initially.

Last edited:
Again, it was really nice and we enjoyed it when we used it - which was rarely in the grand scheme of things. Good luck with your decision!
JC
Couldn't have summarized my experience any better. I was happy to give it away for free when we moved. I still have a boat but I think the rule of boats applies to hot tubs as well - the best 2 days of ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I've enjoyed mine but agreed on "something else to take care of"

I would never have got it if it didn't come with the house. With that said, it's very nice in the winter.

one thing - if you do it, you've got to keep an eye on the chem. If it gets out of balance it can really make a mess of people's skin (chem goes out of balance and those with sensitive skin can wind up with folliculitis). One question you might research - what is your water like? city water does generally better than well water, etc... as the former is professionally maintained and balanced, whereas the latter can be all over the place so you have to adjust for that initially.
Have city water and also a water softening system installed in the house to keep out hard minerals so i'm good there.

Have city water and also a water softening system installed in the house to keep out hard minerals so i'm good there.
You’ll love it for some period of time. I loved it for a few years, wife for 5 or 6. I have known folks who enjoyed it for far longer than that. Soaking before bedtime makes you sleep well. If you can work toward using only baking soda to adjust ph it makes the experience more chemical free. All I ever used was bromine tablets and baking soda. Never any complaints about itchy cooties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT