ADVERTISEMENT

WARNING. This one will be corny: One thing that's been very noticeable over the last few years is the sort of homecoming aspect of Kirby's tenure...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
Having so many former players and coaches with warm relationships with a staff isn't uncommon, but what's interesting is seeing so many different players and coaches with differing previous relationships, gravitate back to the program and form a new community. I could be off... but Dooley seemed like he was becoming more intimate in the end, if that's possible. Richt's relationship seems to be getting even closer. Pollack seems to be loosening his ridged professional relationship, and is visibly enjoying being a former Dawg right now. Aaron seems to be fully embroiled in Dawg homerism despite building his career in media. Of course Gant and Jennings are still here. Jarvis came back. Mike Cavan is bridging generations with his presence. So many former players (I can think of about ten) are doing Dawg-Centric podcasts now. Donnan loves hanging around. Bobo and Muschamp, who should have massive egos, started lingering around... started having too much fun and are now attached to Kirby at the hip. McClendon, who previously had a damaged relationship, came back home (and is crushing it). Matt Luke who was here for such a short time, can't even TRULY leave.

I'm really just scratching the surface. I love seeing people put their egos aside. Winning does so much.

The older I get, the more I realize people want a reason to come back home. It's a sense of surrender. There is something healing about it... especially if you've made yourself forget, because something soured along the way. Especially if you've hardened and detached your feelings and forced yourself to move on.

The most interesting aspect here is that Kirby came back home and demolished the old house. And human nature tells me feelings were hurt... especially with some people who had a hand in building the old house. And even though Kirby has a dominant presence as the familiy's new patriarch, the old family who may have initially had some awkward feelings about visiting, have now started boarding in the new compound that Kirby rebuilt and expanded.

In a funny way, it sort of reminds me of The Jerk when Navin came back home after making it big somewhere else. And with the family's new found fortune, they tore down the old house and just made a bigger version of the old one so everyone can dance on the porch.

jerk-26th-anniversary-edition-the-20050805051227737-000.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News