ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg We have a kid on my oldest son's Recreational Baseball team that is on the spectrum and

InsureDawg02

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
he has been hit by the pitching machine twice already in the hand (he gets closer and closer to the plate each time he swings and misses) and somehow he has not broken anything yet. Last week he had to go the hospital for an Xray to make sure there were no broken bones. I understand wanting to make sure the child is included but I am helping coach so I feel some responsibility each time he gets hurt. He is going to keep getting hurt unless someone is right beside him during each at bat to move him away from the plate. At first I was doing that every single time but it takes my attention away from the other kids when I am having to stand right next to him at the plate and right next to him in the outfield as well. After last week's issue I was hoping the parents would realize that there is a danger to it but that doesn't appear to be the case. We have a miracle league here in my town designed for kids with disabilities and they get a "buddy" who is right by their side so it would be a better fit. If all the other kids were doing well and knew what to do it would be a different situation but over half of them have played very little baseball mainly due to the covid issues in 2020/2021 so many of them are struggling mightily as well but not to the point where they are a danger to themselves. Should I tell the mom that she is going to have to accompany him to the plate each time or should I just take the time to continue doing it myself and ignore the other kids. Our local rec dept is putting their hands up in the air due to the threat of being sued of course.

I have friends who have children with autism and other disabilities so I do have sympathy. They do try to include them in certain extra curricular activities but they do realize they have some limitations. I am just concerned the mother is completely ignoring the fact that he is putting himself in danger each time he goes to the plate without someone right beside him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News