ADVERTISEMENT

Weather Update: Tuscaloosa & Tropics

Blocker57

Letterman
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2015
Raleigh, NC
two_atl_7d2.png

Many of you have likely seen that a tropical system is expected in the Gulf of Mexico toward the end of this week, which could impact the game Saturday night. The National Hurricane Center says there is an 80% chance of development over the next seven days.

TLDR Version:
This system, whatever it will be, should have cleared Alabama by kickoff Saturday night. This is a preliminary forecast, but I expect little to no impacts from this system on the game. I expect a mostly clear sky, with temps in the mid-70s for kickoff. Once again, this is my initial stab at the forecast. It is very possible that the development of this system changes, which could alter my forecast.

...For those wanting to read more...
A tropical storm is likely to form in the eastern Gulf of Mexico next week. Strengthening is likely, and it has the potential to become a hurricane Wednesday or Thursday. The upper air pattern will lift the system to the north, then northeast with the highest potential for a landfall along the Florida Gulf Coast Thursday night or Friday.

97-L-intensity-latest.png

The biggest question remains the intensity of this system... The OG @Artie Fufkin pointed out the trends with a stronger storm in the latest models. As typical, he is right, and it is something that needs to continue to be monitored. Either way, the most impactful weather looks to be experienced along the coast and a couple hundred miles inland. Weak or strong, this will bring in a lot of rain and flooding potential.

The weakening system will likely move through North and Central Georgia Friday, with heavy rain, gusty winds, and difficult travel conditions for those headed southwest to Tuscaloosa. I would absolutely keep that in mind, and prepare accordingly. Tropical downpours plus gusty winds, while not severe, can be dangerous on the roads. Please be cautious when planning your trip, or if you have students who will be making the trip from Athens...

This is a first look at what to expect. We are still 5+ days out; tropical weather forecasts often change within that time period. Check back in, and I will provide some updates.

Last thing I will point out is this... Our defense on Saturday will be as strong as a Seth Emerson press box greeting.... Saban Field will be under new ownership by the end of the game, and Chip Towers will once again be forced to write good things about UGA football. Bless him. Dawgs win 34-20

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.