ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE *****Wednesday practice Observations***** Updated three more times

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Hello all.
Back from practice. We were able to see around 12 minutes of practice. Here is what we saw.

Daijun Edwards - Yes, Daijun Edwards was off on the back of the field running for trainers on the backfield. He was in a red jersey, and based on my eyesight, did not appear to be limping or anything like that. As Radi mentioned in another thread, he got stepped on a few days back. He looked OK to me. Take it fwiw.
Ladd McConkey - We did not see Ladd at practice today. Unclear if anything is wrong, or what. Will try to find out.
Kendall Milton - Was jogging alongside Edwards. Definitely seems to be moving better.
Cole Speer - Believe I saw him jogging with the walking wounded as well.

Offensive line: No change in the starting lineup from what I saw. Earnest Greene was out there at left tackle, with Austin Blaske continuing the slide in. Speaking of Greene, he's really changed his body shape from last year. Looks good.

Running Backs: With Milton and Edwards with trainers, and Branson out, the order of running backs through ball security drills went as follows - Cash Jones, Andrew Paul, Roderick Robinson, Sevaughn Clark, Jacob Hardie and Len'Neth Whitehead.

Wide receivers: With no McConkey, Arian Smith was practicing with the first group today, along with Marcus Rosemy Jacksaint and Dominic Smith. Dillon Bell made a nice, long reception as we were leaving.

Defensive line: Depth may not be what Smart likes, but it's a good-looking group. Maybe I'm hyping Jordan Hall too much considering he hasn't played a game, but he's always very impressive during the drills we see.

Outside linebacker: Marvin Jones, Darris Smith and Chaz Chambliss continue as the top three, with CJ Madden and the three freshmen after that. Another great-looking group.

Inside linebackers: Saw Glenn Schumann gave an atta-boy to freshman linebacker Troy Bowles. Fellow freshman C.J. Allen also making waves.

Secondary: Not a lot of change here, other than the corner spot opposite Kamari Lassiter who remains in a black jersey but is taking part in drills. Julian Humphrey, Daylen Everette and Nyland Greene still seem to be the main candidates for the spot opposite Lassiter.

PATRICK GARBIN

Observing solely the offense, I first watched the depleted running backs group catch passes out of the backfield. The order: Andrew PaulCash JonesRoderick RobinsonSevaughn Clark. I thought Paul looked really good, particularly at avoiding tacklers.

Dillon Bell stood out to me amongst the wide receivers in a particular drill. On back-to-back reps, he leaped high and caught a pass thrown by Gunner Stockton which should have gone over the receiver’s head, followed by catching a short pass and breaking two tackles. I did not spot Ladd McConkey during the drill.

At one point, Kirby Smart praised AJ Harris over the mic for the freshman defensive back’s performance “all fall camp.”

For back-to-back drills, the tight end order was as follows: Brock BowersOscar DelpPearce SpurlinDrew SheehanCooper JohnsonDavid Lalaian.

During the last period, the quarterbacks took turns taking deep shots down the field. On a ball thrown by Carson Beck, Arian Smith made a nice jumping grab as a staffer waved a pad at his face. Impressive catch. Zeed Haynes also made a great catch from a ball thrown by Brock Vandagriff. I also noticed the nice reception Dash mentioned—by Bell.

I noticed NFL scouts from the Green Bay Packers, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers and one unidentified scout.

LANCE MCCURLEY

While Patrick mainly watched the offense, I watched as much of the defense as I could.

The good news is I saw Smael Mondon and Kamari Lassiter at today’s practice, but both were wearing black non-contact uniforms. Each is returning from injury and both were running around today, but not full-speed. I did hear Kirby Smart yell to the NFL Scouts in attendance as we left that Lassiter was going to line up against wide receiver Arian Smith during the next period.

At the start, when the offense and defense were together, I saw Justyn Rhett opposite of Nyland Green. Daylen Everette and Julian Humphrey rotated in that period during the next rep.

I observed the outside linebackers group as position coach Chidera Uzo-Diribe and Jarvin Jones coached them up. Smart also joined in and told them that Oscar Delp burned them in the previous drill. Chaz Chambliss was running first and was followed by sophomore Darris Smith. True freshman Damon Wilson and Marvin Jones Jr. were in the next group during that period.

At one point, Smart was yelling at freshman Jamaal Jarrett because of his lack of hustle. He said the freshman defensive lineman wouldn’t play in the season opener if he kept up the same energy.

Smart also yelled something along the lines of, “When Smoke was here, he didn’t want the smoke.”

On the defensive line, an interesting note is that freshman outside linebacker Gabe Harris was working with Tray Scott’s group. Scott praised Zion Logue and Warren Brinson while I was near. True freshman Jordan Hall was also impressive off the ball and drew a clap from the coaches.

Radi Nabulsi

It was hovering between 88 and 90 degrees in the shade when we went out there and Kirby Smart was telling his players at the start of our viewing, “It’s nice and cool today.” He also told them that this was the “last cool day of the year.” Three minutes later it was chilly according to Smart. “It’'s like 65 out here today.” Even later he said “It’s 85 degrees today. Nice and cool.”
Not sure why it heated up so fast. Maybe smoke off his microphone?

It was as humid as crab salad so I am not sure why he said it was so cool. I guess in comparison to the scorchers of late.

He jumped on the offensive line saying that they weren’t moving anybody. “You disappear whenever it gets hot.”

Smart called for Anthony Evans to ball out. He was continuing to give “Seaside” some hell. And of course, Jamaal Jarrett was hearing the rough side of Kirby’s admonitions while we were out there. “Jah, if you don’t move your feet when you strike then you can’t play.”

Former Georgia lineman Ian Knight and failed IBM technician Jeff Foxworthy were in attendance.

Zion Louge looks to be in good shape. Maybe the best I’ve seen him.

Kirby Smart made Malaki Starks redo a pass coverage drill. He also was displeased with a Marvin Jones Jr. rep. He came over and spent some time talking one-on-one with Sam M’Pemba.

Tray Scott was teaching his outside linebackers how to confuse the quarterbacks when they try to read him. He got frustrated at one point and told them to wake the heck up.

“What are going to do when he looks you in the eye, Marcus? You going to sign that piece of paper? Aaron, are you going to sign that piece of paper? Brock Bowers, are you going to sign that piece of paper? I got to see it.” - Kirby

“Dom, you are not scaring him.” - Kirby

“The tempo on that drill. The tempo… if it ain’t real then I don’t want to do it. If we are just going through the motions then we should be doing something else.” - Kirby

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News