ADVERTISEMENT

What’s y’all’s take on this??…

My first impression is that I'm not a fan. And I'm a huge gun rights advocate. But the possibility that a student could get the gun or that a teacher make a bad judgement call is a real possibility in my opinion.
Who is at fault if the teacher has the gun taken away from them and the student shoots multiple people?
What if the teacher "goes postal" and makes a very unfortunate decision.
Just too many variables. Instead of arming teachers, expel the kids causing the problems - and not after the 20th infraction. Our schools need to go back to being more strict and standing beside our teachers when kids are misbehaving.
JC

My first impression is that I'm not a fan. And I'm a huge gun rights advocate. But the possibility that a student could get the gun or that a teacher make a bad judgement call is a real possibility in my opinion.
Who is at fault if the teacher has the gun taken away from them and the student shoots multiple people?
Just too many variables. Instead of arming teachers, expel the kids causing the problems - and not after the 20th infraction. Our schools need to go back to being more strict and standing beside our teachers when kids are misbehaving.
JC
Agree. Teachers do not seem like the best candidates for armed protectors. Maybe arming them with stun guns should be discussed. Regarding your final point, teachers have had responsibility heaped upon them while being stripped of authority. It creates a dangerous atmosphere.

JC
I hear ya….gotta admit, it makes me nervous as hayul. As I’ve mentioned before, I have a daughter that teaches at a middle school in TN.

My concerns are similar to yours.

1) crossfire would be a big one.

2) I see where they want to train people how to use a gun……but nothing substitutes experience in real life situations.

3) as you mentioned, overpowering and taking away a gun.

To me, have only one entrance to the school and have an armed pro or two at the entrance. Also, after school is in session, lock the doors and not let anyone else in without screening. Also have a metal detector.

Good point on the liability, thinks it would be less risky, safer and less costly in the long run to put some pros at the door.

Pretty dang sure arming teacher/s could make an issue from bad to worse in a hurry. Hoping someone talks some sense into these people.

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
JC
Teachers have to wear retention holster like police? I’d wear an IW.B holster to keep it out of sight and not let it become a distraction

I hear ya….gotta admit, it makes me nervous as hayul. As I’ve mentioned before, I have a daughter that teaches at a middle school in TN.

My concerns are similar to yours.

1) crossfire would be a big one.

2) I see where they want to train people how to use a gun……but nothing substitutes experience in real life situations.

3) as you mentioned, overpowering and taking away a gun.

To me, have only one entrance to the school and have an armed pro or two at the entrance. Also, after school is in session, lock the doors and not let anyone else in without screening. Also have a metal detector.

Good point on the liability, thinks it would be less risky, safer and less costly in the long run to put some pros at the door.

Pretty dang sure arming teacher/s could make an issue from bad to worse in a hurry. Hoping someone talks some sense into these people.
Only problem with the one way in thing is that SO many schools (speaking nationally here) either have trailers/portables or they require the kids to walk outside to get from building a to building b. Or have stairs that are on the outside of the school to allow for better traffic control.

My hope here is that this is a move in the name of deterrence. If you read some of the musings of both actual & potential school shooters, a consistent theme is the "soft target" nature of schools.

Zero actual guns could be brought onto school grounds by teachers and this could help prevent a future shooting.

Maybe.

JC
And multiple trained educators with guns

JC
Well, we don't really have to theorize about this subject as we have a very long history that we can review. Utah has allowed this for decades with none of the fears that people bring up on the subject have come true. There are several other states that allow this as well with no record of any of this ever happening.

In addition, the same people who oppose this idea are fine with school resource officers carrying guns. Let's consider this. Many of these officers have less training than is required by these teachers and administrators. If any of these things were issues, then these things would be happening with resource officers as well but that doesn't seem to be an issue there either.

We must harden the target and this is one of the best ways to do that.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Well, we don't really have to theorize about this subject as we have a very long history that we can review. Utah has allowed this for decades with none of the fears that people bring up on the subject have come true. There are several other states that allow this as well with no record of any of this ever happening.

In addition, the same people who oppose this idea are fine with school resource officers carrying guns. Let's consider this. Many of these officers have less training than is required by these teachers and administrators. If any of these things were issues, then these things would be happening with resource officers as well but that doesn't seem to be an issue there either.

We must harden the target and this is one of the best ways to do that.
I’ll admit that I was completely unaware other states were already doing this. Just curious but do you have any idea what percentage of teachers in Utah carry? I can’t find good info on that. Also how long have teachers been able to carry in Utah? Historical data could def change my mind.
JC

Edit - with just a little more research it looks like 16 states already allow teachers to carry. I had no idea!

I’ll admit that I was completely unaware other states were already doing this. Just curious but do you have any idea what percentage of teachers in Utah carry? I can’t find good info on that. Also how long have teachers been able to carry in Utah? Historical data could def change my mind.
JC

Edit - with just a little more research it looks like 16 states already allow teachers to carry. I had no idea!
I am not sure what year it started but all I have heard is it's been legal for "decades". In addition, this doesn't end with teachers and admin. Anyone with CWL can carry on schools grounds and at public universities.
In fact Utah is trying to encourage more teachers to carry by passing a law where the state will pay for their training and their license fee.

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT