ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of restaurant does Athens need?

Do you mean as in ethnicity? Or styles of food? Being from Athenns and growing up there ive seen the restaurant industry evolve. It’s. Tough business to begin with for several reasons, finding good, steady employees on a long term basis in a college town is very challenging, lots of young people coming...and leaving. I live in Alpharetta now, we have TONS of great places to eat around here, but the Alpharetta’s economy isnt driven by a 40,000 plus student population. I wish Athens n had more good BBQ places, we used to go to Zeb Deans in Madison county, and Walter& Ralph’s on Broad street had great runs years ago.
Do you mean as in ethnicity? Or styles of food? Being from Athenns and growing up there ive seen the restaurant industry evolve. It’s. Tough business to begin with for several reasons, finding good, steady employees on a long term basis in a college town is very challenging, lots of young people coming...and leaving. I live in Alpharetta now, we have TONS of great places to eat around here, but the Alpharetta’s economy isnt driven by a 40,000 plus student population. I wish Athens n had more good BBQ places, we used to go to Zeb Deans in Madison county, and Walter& Ralph’s on Broad street had great runs years ago.
I agree that employment was the hardest part for me. I had a couple of places in the 70’s and early 80’s

Reactions: paintdawg
Along these lines, one thing most college college towns have that Athens doesn't is THE pizza place. It's been there since the 50s, memorabilia on the walls, food is maybe not spectacular but at least solid. Lots of TVs even if not mega-sports bar levels. We don't have that.

A problem for the Athens pizza economy is that students care more about cheap than good and so the bad cheap chain pizza undercuts and drives out anyone trying to do better.

mellow mushroom says hello.

Sounds like you’re describing Fully Loaded. It took over the Waffle House space in Five Points and has a much bigger, sports bar-type location in Watkinsville.
Doughbys in Watkinsville fits your bill as well

I’m very surprised nobody has opened a Food Hall concept in the area yet. They seem to be gaining popularity in many areas these days.

Reactions: paintdawg
We always stopped at Geautreaus - first in East Athens - and later in Watkinsville. Been gone for several years. As has Harry Bissetts. They were both great. Are there any Cajun restaurants in the area?

Reactions: I was there dawg
I’m very surprised nobody has opened a Food Hall concept in the area yet. They seem to be gaining popularity in many areas these days.
Yep..we have Alpharetta City center, tons of great places to eat& drink all right next to each other.

Reactions: Fed_Dawg
All Taco Macs should be burned to the ground. I've recently eaten at the downtown ATL and then Prado locations and both didn't even try...food, service, etc. was all really poor.

Those places were legit in the late 90s and early 2000s. Not sure what went wrong.
Agree 100%...the one in Alpharetta is god awful.

We always stopped at Geautreaus - first in East Athens - and later in Watkinsville. Been gone for several years. As has Harry Bissetts. They were both great. Are there any Cajun restaurants in the area?
Yeah George’s could probably be considered that. Owner was the chef at Bissetts

And there was a place called NONA that closely resembled Bissetts but it closed a few years ago. Sucks

In other words whats missing? While there are some good restaurants in Athens theres always room for improvement. I know there are not enough international/ethnic restaurants but there are other categories that could do better. Those of you that live in the area or visit alot I would appreciate your opinion.
Haggis. Baked, broiled, or Blackened. Or someday, if we're lucky, on a steeck!

It's really kind of fast food; but, man I would love to see a Rubio's in the area...California Bowl with blackened salmon for lunch at about $10. It's a deal.

What Athens needs more than anything is an Antico Pizza.

I wish I could also bring Superica here (or Cinco y Diez back).

Wish I could turn Fuzzy’s downtown into a Taco Mac.

Flying Biscuit Cafe will be a nice addition. As will Jim n Nick’s.

A Zunzi’s would kill downtown. As would a Halal Guys.

I learned last week that downtown Athens is getting the 2nd location of Arditi Pizza soon, which is Neapolitan style similar to Antico, the original is in Gwinnett, near Snellville. They already had an Athens connection, only beer they serve is Creature Comforts.

Last edited:
My idea would be a UGA themed spot.

Serve pizza, wings, subs/hoagies/sandwiches, and signature chili. All of them done consistently and well. Local beers on tap and can/bottle .

Dawg celebs making appearances periodically.

Great bar with multiple TV's and terraced seating with big screens and selectable audio at each table like what Damon's had back in the day.
Broad street bar and grill owned by mark lake was on broad but closed sometime aroun 08.

Wasn't Harry Bissetts killing it but had tax problems or something like that? Loved that place. Would love another.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT