ADVERTISEMENT

The Daily Dawg Caller What time is it in Texas?

Patrick Garbin

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
Sep 24, 2015
Bishop, GA
Georgia’s “10 to 9” upset victory over Texas in the 1984 Cotton Bowl remains the Bulldogs’ lone win over the Longhorns in the five-game series entering tomorrow.

The 1983 team got me hooked on Georgia football as an eight-year-old, so I have a lot of fond memories from this game.

For one, and some of you may remember, Georgia was given very little to zero chance of upsetting Texas. “On paper, Georgia has no chance,” The Macon Telegraph declared.

“Going into the Cotton Bowl, I got sick of hearing about how bad we were going to get beat out in Dallas; we supposedly had no chance,” linebacker Know Culpepper once told me in an interview. “That was the primary reason why beating Texas was such a sweet victory.”

It was a historic victory that just as easily could have ended in defeat. Check out the stats below. Lastinger, who was named the game’s MVP, had totaled only 64 offensive yards (rushing + passing) on 28 plays prior to his game-winning, 17-yard touchdown run.

Also, the ironic thing about Texas’ fumbled punt was the fact the Longhorns actually thought the Bulldogs weren’t going to punt at all, but run a fake punt. Texas didn’t even have its normal punt returner in place—but instead Craig Curry, the team’s starting safety who had never fielded a punt in his college career.

Nevertheless, more than 40 years after the 10-9 win over Texas in Dallas, some Georgia fans still wonder aloud, “What time is it in Texas?” Only to be answered by those in the know with, “It’s 10 to 9.”

cbowl.png

Anyone else remember this "sweet" victory?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.