ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion What UGA needs to fix

Ben Bachmann

Choppy
Staff
Sep 19, 2018
-Number 1 the biggest positive going forward is health. Georgia should get healthier over the next 3-4 weeks. George Pickens, Jamaree Salyer, Chris Smith, and Kendall Milton should be 100 percent next time they play.

-Number 2 lets get to the big debate the QB situation. I personally believe Georgia should role with JT at QB. Stetson wasn’t the entire reason UGA lost on Saturday but was a big reason for why. Bennett has had games in his career where he’s thrown multiple interceptions. He threw multiple vs Bama twice. The main thing you can’t do when playing a high powered offense is turn the ball over. JT has proven to be better with his decision making. If Stetson is starting impart due to his mobility Georgia should run him more. If Georgia isn’t using him due to his mobility I don’t understand it.

-The defense struggled to play to the opposing offenses weaknesses. Auburn and LSU rushed 6 and played press coverage which pressured Young. Georgia ran a lot of blitzes straight up the center repeatedly and it didn’t work. Georgia will have to run press coverage and rush 6 like the others did. Alabama can’t run the ball so I wouldn’t see Jordan Davis play many snaps if they see Alabama again. Georgia should focus Jameson Williams if they meet again.

-When Georgia plays Michigan they have to shut down Michigan’s run game. Michigan’s offense plays to Georgia’s defenses strengths. If you stop Michigan’s run game early Georgia will be in good shape. Georgia should run the ball against Michigan’s linebackers. Michigan’s linebackers are a weakness Georgia can exploit. Georgia’s offense shouldn’t get away from the run when it’s working. UGA rushed for around 5 ypc with its running backs yesterday. Georgia went away from the run to early. If the run game is effective Georgia should give Zeus and Cook each over 10 carries and Bennett more read option runs.

-No matter who the QB is the main goal in the passing game should be to feed George Pickens. He’s the best perimeter threat Georgia has. Georgia needs to use Ladd McConkey and Jermaine Burton more in the vertical passing game as well. Alabama stretches defenses with speed. Burton and McConkey give the most speed at WR with Arian Smith out.

-The 2 things Georgia can stick with from yesterday moving forward is the starting OL and Bowers high usage. The OL and Warren Ericsson in particular shocked me with how well they played. The OL pass blocked exceptionally well and give you your best chance to block Ojabo and Hutchinson. Bowers designed screens and jets sweeps worked for Georgia. Bowers was the one bright spot of yesterday and Georgia will continue to go his way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News