ADVERTISEMENT

Why Darnell Washington holds the keys to this year's offense

Chew Dawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
NYC
Like most off-seasons, this one has been filled with talk of which player stands to make the biggest impact on next year's team and one that I think deserves more discussion is DW at TE.

It goes without saying that JTD is the most important player on the offense and his development will overshadow everything. True, but that's obvious and boring so I'd like to focus my attention elsewhere.

At all other positions, we have options, and I don't think one player's development or lack thereof will necessarily make or break us...

I hope Rosemy goes off, but if he doesn't we have A Smith and Robinson and AD Mitchell, and one of them probably will. I don't think the performance of our WRs as a unit hinges so much on the development of any one player.

Likewise for OL. Our floor looks like leaving Salyer at LT and having a "pretty good" unit. Would be great if Mims is elite and we can move Salyer inside, but if not I still think the OL will be fine.

RBs... we've got options.

But it looks to me as if the difference between a very good DW and a dominant, un-coverable DW could spell the difference between a very good offense and the championship offense that we all hope to see.

DW is the one guy who can command such attention in the middle of the field that -- if he becomes someone DCs have to give extra attention to -- there's just no way to cover the whole field effectively, and we're off to the races. I think some are hopeful that Bowers will become this. Maybe one day, but I'll pass on counting on a true freshman to be dominant immediately. DW, otoh, could render moot defensive game plans in a hurry if he takes a big step forward in his development this year.

And that's why Chew has his eyes firmly locked-in on big 0 as the key to blowing the top off this year's offense.

If any man disagrees that this is the most astute analysis of our 2021 offense heretofore seen, let him speak...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News