ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we pay for an English course in college

Hey man there’s nothing wrong with learning a trade . That’s what I did when I graduated high school and earned a descent living. Raised my family and some finished college. Everyone is not born with a silver spoon in their mouth and had the privilege of finishing college like you bleeding hearts. You people sit up there in your ivory towers and speak about the blacks like you are one of them. You people don’t even know what blacks went through only what you have read. The only time you people think about blacks is when it’s time to vote. Any other time they are just a nobody that you don’t know or want them in your gated community.
You’re so wrong. I am from a very modest family , I worked in peanut field as a high school kid for money . 5$ a day 12 hrs days hoeing peanuts. So my economic status posted by you could not be more untrue if you tried. I went your route made a very nice living for my family , served in SE Asia because I thought your were obglated to serve, did you serve your county? I know how blacks were treated in the 1950s. In 2020 not even close but the Democratic Party tells them constantly how they are slaves still. That was what I was talking about . I don’t feel sorry for minorities of today they have as much opportunity as anyone else in this country but they listen to the wrong people all the time.

You’re so wrong. I am from a very modest family , I worked in peanut field as a high school kid for money . 5$ a day 12 hrs days hoeing peanuts. So my economic status posted by you could not be more untrue if you tried. I went your route made a very nice living for my family , served in SE Asia because I thought your were obglated to serve, did you serve your county? I know how blacks were treated in the 1950s. In 2020 not even close but the Democratic Party tells them constantly how they are slaves still. That was what I was talking about . I don’t feel sorry for minorities of today they have as much opportunity as anyone else in this country but they listen to the wrong people all the time.
Man I was raised poor also. I started working when I was 11 years old. It wasn’t in a peanut field but I had a paper route and I made 4 dollars a week. I know that you weren’t treated fairly back then but I was to busy trying to survive myself to think about that.

Man I was raised poor also. I started working when I was 11 years old. It wasn’t in a peanut field but I had a paper route and I made 4 dollars a week. I know that you weren’t treated fairly back then but I was to busy trying to survive myself to think about that.
I walked up hill both to and from school…… ha

Came from lower middle class means. I am middle class now. Owned one new car in my life.

I am 66, one wife, four children, all married, ten grandchildren.

That’s not hard. It’s what was expected. But responsibility is no longer demanded, only personal narcissistic feelings and desires.

My whole point was to question why we are forced to take courses in college that should be understood without question during our 12 years of public education.

What a damn oxymoron.

Reactions: aadco
I walked up hill both to and from school…… ha

Came from lower middle class means. I am middle class now. Owned one new car in my life.

I am 66, one wife, four children, all married, ten grandchildren.

That’s not hard. It’s what was expected. But responsibility is no longer demanded, only personal narcissistic feelings and desires.

My whole point was to question why we are forced to take courses icollege that should be understood without question during our 12 years of public education.

What a damn oxymoron.
I wasn’t talking to you Willie. I was talking to Mikel. Didn’t mean to offend you if I did.

To say this country was built on the mistreatment and torture of AA is accurate. And if they makes you feel guilty then that's a you problem not anyone else's.
The problem is the libs of today preach whites of today are guilty of what happened 200 years ago. Thats not white guilt, but rather anger at being blamed for something they had no part of.

The problem is the libs of today preach whites of today are guilty of what happened 200 years ago. Thats not white guilt, but rather anger at being blamed for something they had no part of.
Who's blamed white people today for slavery?

Ibram X Kendi
Animated GIF

The modern day Far left.

Dont be an idiot lefty and mistake anger for false accusations as "white guilt".
Don't give me some random person give me a Dem of significance. Show me the policy in-which current white America is at fault for slavery.

What he's saying is that we should go back to the time when students were taught that slaves were happy with their circumstances and enjoyed positive outcomes like learning a trade.

Here is a page from a State of Virgina history book used for seventh graders. Look at the kindly master warmly greeting the newly arrived slave and his family! Looked at how well dressed they all are! Happy times!

OIP.4Tav3Ap3VdjQO51NG88tMwAAAA
Lol...not hardly...bunch of lies as usual.

There were thousands of black slaveowners too. Why aren’t they pictured?
Thousands?....just speaking with no proof...well there were millions of white slave owners...so the picture is more accurate than your bias non factual opinion

Great question. For decades in most of the South and much of the country, slavery was taught in a way to minimize the horrors of the practice while simultaneously reinforcing white supremacy.

This was all part of the propagation of the Lost Cause narrative, that was created expressly to teach that:
  1. Secession was lawful and justified: It asserted that the southern states had legitimately exercised their constitutional rights to secede from the Union over issues like state's rights and northern oppression.
  2. Slavery was not the main cause: It downplayed the role of slavery as the principal cause of the war, instead emphasizing issues like states' rights, northern aggression, and the preservation of the southern way of life.
  3. The Confederacy was morally superior: It portrayed the Confederacy as morally upright, and its leaders and soldiers as honorable, chivalric, and fighting for a just cause against northern aggression.
  4. The South was overwhelmed: It argued that the South was ultimately overwhelmed by the North's greater population, industrial capacity, and resources, rather than being defeated on the battlefield.
  5. Confederate soldiers were superior: It celebrated the Confederate soldiers' skill, valor, and commitment, often depicting them as underdogs fighting heroically against long odds.
The Lost Cause theory was propagated through writings, memoirs, speeches, and the establishment of memorial associations and monuments. It helped shape a positive historical memory of the Confederacy and provided a way for Southerners to cope with the trauma of defeat while setting aside the issue of slavery.

So, to answer your question, teaching about black slave owners might help soften the perception of the obvious role wealthy whites had in propagating and preserving slavery in our country. The problem is, that same message would be counter to the additional goal of reinforcing white supremacy while denigrating blacks as the inferior race incapable of autonomy and self-governance.
I figured you wouldn't get of responses

And slave industry wasn't just 3% of the southern economy.

The total value of enslaved persons on the south alone accounted for 35% of its GDP.

Because of slavery the American south was responsible for 75% of the world's cotton production.

Because of slavery there were more millionaires in the Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the country.

And because of slavery the American south of estimated to be the 11th richest country in the world.

To say this country was built on the mistreatment and torture of AA is accurate. And if they makes you feel guilty then that's a you problem not anyone else's.
Now we are talking truth and yet no likes or great responses. However they love Trump for his supposedly truth...lol. Happy Easter. God is love.

Thousands?....just speaking with no proof...well there were millions of white slave owners...so the picture is more accurate than your bias non factual opinion
Google, is your friend.

Google, is your friend.
I already addressed this in an earlier post. Yes there were black slave owners but they accounted for .06% of enslaved people in the US at the time. So whats the point of your comment? Are you trying to make the case slavery wasn't bad?

I already addressed this in an earlier post. Yes there were black slave owners but they accounted for .06% of enslaved people in the US at the time. So whats the point of your comment? Are you trying to make the case slavery wasn't bad?
No, I’m trying to say it was an equal opportunity endeavor

Again....06% of slaves in America were owned by black slaveowners and they on no way benefited financially from slavery in which southern white slave owner did. If this was an equal endeavor as you put it where are the black slave owning southern reps that pushed for succession?

Again....06% of slaves in America were owned by black slaveowners and they on no way benefited financially from slavery in which southern white slave owner did. If this was an equal endeavor as you put it where are the black slave owning southern reps that pushed for succession?
You’re arguing “how much” instead of why. Sure they benefitted, they wouldn’t have owned them otherwise. The correct response would been, there’s no telling how both were wrong, or something similar.

• Haha
Reactions: shonuff253
When we took English for 12 straight years prior?
Why History when we took it twelve straight years prior…….. oh, nevermind, don’t teach history any longer.

Shouldn’t the Constitution be a basic educational requirement? Seems the instruction manual is always a good thing to read when you don’t have a clue.

Or does ignorance to the basic foundation of our country help move us FROM the basic foundations of our country.
So we can talk and spell gooder when we get out in the adult industry.

Reactions: shonuff253
You’re arguing “how much” instead of why. Sure they benefitted, they wouldn’t have owned them otherwise. The correct response would been, there’s no telling how both were wrong, or something similar.
So we know for a fact there were a small number of Jews that conspired with the Nazis to kill 6 million of thier fellow people...by your logic the Holocaust was an equal endeavor right?

Of course slavery in all instances is wrong but you brought it up to make a false equivalency which you admit to in a previous post.

Last edited:
Great question. For decades in most of the South and much of the country, slavery was taught in a way to minimize the horrors of the practice while simultaneously reinforcing white supremacy.

This was all part of the propagation of the Lost Cause narrative, that was created expressly to teach that:
  1. Secession was lawful and justified: It asserted that the southern states had legitimately exercised their constitutional rights to secede from the Union over issues like state's rights and northern oppression.
  2. Slavery was not the main cause: It downplayed the role of slavery as the principal cause of the war, instead emphasizing issues like states' rights, northern aggression, and the preservation of the southern way of life.
  3. The Confederacy was morally superior: It portrayed the Confederacy as morally upright, and its leaders and soldiers as honorable, chivalric, and fighting for a just cause against northern aggression.
  4. The South was overwhelmed: It argued that the South was ultimately overwhelmed by the North's greater population, industrial capacity, and resources, rather than being defeated on the battlefield.
  5. Confederate soldiers were superior: It celebrated the Confederate soldiers' skill, valor, and commitment, often depicting them as underdogs fighting heroically against long odds.
The Lost Cause theory was propagated through writings, memoirs, speeches, and the establishment of memorial associations and monuments. It helped shape a positive historical memory of the Confederacy and provided a way for Southerners to cope with the trauma of defeat while setting aside the issue of slavery.

So, to answer your question, teaching about black slave owners might help soften the perception of the obvious role wealthy whites had in propagating and preserving slavery in our country. The problem is, that same message would be counter to the additional goal of reinforcing white supremacy while denigrating blacks as the inferior race incapable of autonomy and self-governance.
Remind me again when this was taught? I’m afraid I never took these courses.

I never took those courses either. This was not taught when I went to school. And I graduated high school in 1956.
This was a State of Virginia textbook introduced in response to looming forced desegregation mandates by the federal government in the late “50s. It was used as late as the early ‘70s.

Last edited:
Reactions: celticdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT