ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it ok for the Chinese to own land in America but not a social media app?

OriginalGatorHator

Them Dawgs Is Hell
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2015
Oh illegals invading? No big deal.

Castrating kids? No problem.

Allowing the manufacture of insulin and other necessary medications to be done overseas? Sounds great.

Billions of dollars of intellectual property theft? Sure go ahead.

America social media companies working hand in hand with the FBI to influence elections? Sign me up.

Keeping political prisoners? Right on.

Planned Parenthood? Gotta fund that obviously.

An education department that indoctrinates children to our history is worthy of contempt? Here’s some more money.

But an app? That’s a bridge to far!! Let’s ban it and be sure to make sure the federal government has the power to ban any website it deems necessary. After all that’s what important to for America.

I despise the Republican Party. It has nothing but contempt for you.

Allowing the manufacture of insulin and other necessary medications to be done overseas? Sounds great.

America social media companies working hand in hand with the FBI to influence elections? Sign me up.

An education department that indoctrinates children to our history is worthy of contempt? Here’s some more money.

But an app? That’s a bridge to far!! Let’s ban it and be sure to make sure the federal government has the power to ban any website it deems necessary. After all that’s what important to for America.

Those are mostly democratic principles.

It's not ok for the Chinese to own land in America. Nebraska legislature looking at outlawing it.​

So you’re in favor of TikTok?

Reactions: shonuff253
So you’re in favor of TikTok?
I’m not in favor of any social media, and don’t think people should have access to the internet before the age of 21, but that’s not the point of the post.

Republicans use power to eliminate a relatively harmless app but do nothing about actual problems.

Of course democrats don’t either but they have the decency not to pretend they don’t despise Americans.

I’m not in favor of any social media, and don’t think people should have access to the internet before the age of 21, but that’s not the point of the post.

Republicans use power to eliminate a relatively harmless app but do nothing about actual problems.

Of course democrats don’t either but they have the decency not to pretend they don’t despise Americans.
This app is not harmless.

The Wall Street Journal has been doing an investigation on it for over a year, I assume you have not read that.

There is an app that is used by virtually every American under age 25, it is the number one source of information for about a quarter of our country, and it is run by the communist Chinese government.

That is an extraordinary problem, possibly existential problem, and it must be remedied immediately.

What I like more solutions from Congress? Sure. But I will absolutely take this win.

The Wall Street Journal has been doing an investigation on it for over a year, I assume you have not read that.

There is an app that is used by virtually every American under age 25, it is the number one source of information for about a quarter of our country, and it is run by the communist Chinese government.

That is an extraordinary problem, possibly existential problem, and it must be remedied immediately.

What I like more solutions from Congress? Sure. But I will absolutely take this win.
The only existential problem that exists in America is the millions of illegals replacing the populace.

There isn’t any difference between the propaganda conveyed through tik tok and the propaganda conveyed through the American media.

The regime just doesnt like the lack of control they have over the propaganda on tik tok so it must be banned.

• Haha
Reactions: TivoliDawg
I have no idea what the truth is but Rand Paul says China doesn't own the tiky tok.

• Haha
Reactions: TivoliDawg
The best recent example of "they are all crooks". Both sides.

I agree with Rand Paul on spending issues but he may be only 1-2% less compromised than the other senile senator from Kentucky.

Exactly. Trump is actually the guy who started talking about banning TikTok. Then, one of his large conservative donors mentioned that he had a huge stake in ByteDance and Trump now feels “Facebook is the real enemy of the people”. 🙄🙄

What planet are you living on? George Soros and the rest of the left wing absolutely despise this country! No doubt about it. They should not let Communist China buy anything in this country. Not one damn thing.

Except they'll use this legislation to stop anything they don't like...not just this app...

Reactions: OriginalGatorHator

Of course democrats don’t either but they have the decency not to are pretend they don’t despise Americans.
Man you crazy! The Dems have caused all of these problems. The Pubs just don’t have the backbone to fight these radicals. By the way the Dems despise the middle and working class . That’s why they are trying to destroy them.

Man you crazy! The Dems have caused all of these problems. The Pubs just don’t have the backbone to fight these radicals. By the way the Dems despise the middle and working class . That’s why they are trying to destroy them.
That’s what I said. They just do us the decency of not pretending to care. Unlike the Republicans who have to pay lip service to us for votes, despite the republicans doing nothing for us and having just as much contempt for us as the dems do.

And no the Dems haven’t caused all these issues. Don’t let the GOP off that easy.

What planet are you living on? George Soros and the rest of the left wing absolutely despise this country! No doubt about it. They should not let Communist China buy anything in this country. Not one damn thing.
Where did I say they don’t?

I just said they do us the decency of not pretending otherwise.

I agree the Chinese shouldn’t be allowed in this country nor should we have any trade with them.

But they are allowed and we do. The fact the GOP drew the line at an app is what makes me furious.

The ONLY reason why the regime care about this app is because they don’t control or profit from it. It’s not about national security and or any other excuse the Dan Crenshaws of the world give. If the app was truly a security threat then the bill would simply ban the app.

Instead the bill grants sweeping power to the executive branch to ban whatever the hell they want to.

Where did I say they don’t?

I just said they do us the decency of not pretending otherwise.

I agree the Chinese shouldn’t be allowed in this country nor should we have any trade with them.

But they are allowed and we do. The fact the GOP drew the line at an app is what makes me furious.

The ONLY reason why the regime care about this app is because they don’t control or profit from it. It’s not about national security and or any other excuse the Dan Crenshaws of the world give. If the app was truly a security threat then the bill would simply ban the app.

Instead the bill grants sweeping power to the executive branch to ban whatever the hell they want to.
Actually, the bill incentivizes the Chinese parent company, Byte Dance to divest TikTok or face a ban of the app.

The bill gives the executive branch power to designate other social media apps owned by foreign adversaries as a threat to national security, but that’s a pretty limited power since TikTok is the only one that qualifies.

Except they'll use this legislation to stop anything they don't like...not just this app...
Except that they won’t.

It is specifically written to withstand ByteDance’s first amendment challenge. It only applies to apps owned by foreign governments. Of which there is only one right now - TikTok.

It doesn’t matter anyway - TikTok is worth $250,000,000,000. Think about that. It is 40% owned by US investors and 40% owned by Chinese investors/ capitalists… They are not going to let $250 billion disappear which is what would happen if the app was banned.

A sale would be forced to an American operator within seven days of the legislation being signed

Except that they won’t.

It is specifically written to withstand ByteDance’s first amendment challenge. It only applies to apps owned by foreign governments. Of which there is only one right now - TikTok.

It doesn’t matter anyway - TikTok is worth $250,000,000,000. Think about that. It is 40% owned by US investors and 40% owned by Chinese investors/ capitalists… They are not going to let $250 billion disappear which is what would happen if the app was banned.

A sale would be forced to an American operator within seven days of the legislation being signed
Luckily for us the US Govt never oversteps or revises legislation when we’re not looking…

Reactions: OriginalGatorHator
Actually, the bill incentivizes the Chinese parent company, Byte Dance to divest TikTok or face a ban of the app.

The bill gives the executive branch power to designate other social media apps owned by foreign adversaries as a threat to national security, but that’s a pretty limited power since TikTok is the only one that qualifies.
You should read the bill, not the articles/opinions about it, before making that determination. It is not that long.

There's some funny stuff in there about "declaring" ownership by foreign adversaries. Remember, most publicly traded companies have some foreign investment, some from places we don't like, or might not like in the future.

I would also ask questions when a bill specifies which federal court can hear cases on the matter.

Reactions: DTwnDawg

All you named are Democrat programs but you hate Republicans . I am not understanding your reasoning.

All you named are Democrat programs but you hate Republicans . I am not understanding your reasoning.
Republicans routinely provide funding for all of those things.

The reason I hate republicans is two fold. First, they act like they care about those issues and care about you but they despise you and hold the same views as the dems.

Second, they routinely cry they are powerless to do anything about those things. They aren’t.

they will spend political capital in order to takeover an app. They won’t spend one ounce of political capital on things that matter.

That’s why I hate them. They were elected to represent our interests and they don’t.

Dems on the other hand are doing exactly what they are elected to do for their voters.

"Republicans use power to eliminate a relatively harmless app but do nothing about actual problems."

Democrats just ignore existing rules/laws in order to avoid doing ANYTHING about those actual problems.

It's all about control of information, which is bipartisan.

The best recent example of "they are all crooks". Both sides.

I agree with Rand Paul on spending issues but he may be only 1-2% less compromised than the other senile senator from Kentucky.

He could do what the people you support do and he could have lied about it. Even when proof was available still lie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT