ADVERTISEMENT

You know, I have never liked to shoot very much......

bravodawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
...but I used to be a really great shot with my deer rifle. Then, one year, I decided that I had to have me a brand new Browning 300 WSM. It was a punisher. While sighting it in, I started to close in on what I was trying to hit....and then suddenly, every shot got farther and farther from where I was aiming. Didn't take long for me to develop a pretty bad flinch/jerking the trigger. I gave the gun away at my company's Christmas party that year, as I had had enough of that. That was 15 years ago, but it still affects me now. The only way I have been able to get it out of my head, every deer season, is to shoot an air rifle, over and over again, just before deer season starts. And- I am still nowhere near the shot I used to be. It's in my head. Big time. Reason being- I have yet to work it out on the range, with a real rifle, shooting real bullets. I missed the only deer I shot at last year.

Stuff like that is real. The fear of failing makes me not want to shoot, and not very confident when I do. But- the fact is that there is only one way I am going to be a good shot again- and that is to find a way to confidently shoot my way out of it.

I'm not the only person that's gun-shy. I know I still have being a great shot in me. Folks with that problem just need to keep pulling the trigger and find their groove again, me included.

bravo

...but I used to be a really great shot with my deer rifle. Then, one year, I decided that I had to have me a brand new Browning 300 WSM. It was a punisher. While sighting it in, I started to close in on what I was trying to hit....and then suddenly, every shot got farther and farther from where I was aiming. Didn't take long for me to develop a pretty bad flinch/jerking the trigger. I gave the gun away at my company's Christmas party that year, as I had had enough of that. That was 15 years ago, but it still affects me now. The only way I have been able to get it out of my head, every deer season, is to shoot an air rifle, over and over again, just before deer season starts. And- I am still nowhere near the shot I used to be. It's in my head. Big time. Reason being- I have yet to work it out on the range, with a real rifle, shooting real bullets. I missed the only deer I shot at last year.

Stuff like that is real. The fear of failing makes me not want to shoot, and not very confident when I do. But- the fact is that there is only one way I am going to be a good shot again- and that is to find a way to confidently shoot my way out of it.

I'm not the only person that's gun-shy. I know I still have being a great shot in me. Folks with that problem just need to keep pulling the trigger and find their groove again, me included.

bravo
meh - far from the same thing.

Football is a weak link sport. Hunting is just you. One weak link brings down the whole and we got a couple big ones (WRs, OC, C). As a result the whole is weakened and, to your point, gun shy.

But unlike your example you can't just convince yourself not to be gun shy. If guys are repeatedly not open, not where they need to be, it is far harder said than done.

But I do like your overall point - short of cager making it back this ain't getting better and you are just going to have to fling it. If the guys aren't where they need to be then oh well. Problem is this will be the best D we have faced by a wide margin

Reactions: bravodawg
This belongs on the Chat. It has nothing to do with UGA.
giphy.gif

meh - far from the same thing.

Football is a weak link sport. Hunting is just you. One weak link brings down the whole and we got a couple big ones (WRs, OC, C). As a result the whole is weakened and, to your point, gun shy.

But unlike your example you can't just convince yourself not to be gun shy. If guys are repeatedly not open, not where they need to be, it is far harder said than done.

But I do like your overall point - short of cager making it back this ain't getting better and you are just going to have to fling it. If the guys aren't where they need to be then oh well. Problem is this will be the best D we have faced by a wide margin
Yep- he's just gotta keep flinging it...only way we'll be able to run the ball. Lots of teams seem to run to set up the pass....we seem to be just the opposite. He can't just NOT throw it....it won't work against UF.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Yep- he's just gotta keep flinging it...only way we'll be able to run the ball. Lots of teams seem to run to set up the pass....we seem to be just the opposite. He can't just NOT throw it....it won't work against UF.
Problem is it could result in picks with these receivers. But we have no choice but to risk that because, as you note, if we just don’t throw it we lose either way.
Now when we play mizzou or A&M - i am fine with him just eating it and win ugly.

bravo

You'll never make the shots not taken. Maybe you need a new scope.

All sports are more mental than physical. Lots of people have the physical gifts, but can’t put it together. I’m 62 and not physically gifted and like many I am driving range master. Get me on the course and I get tighter than Dick’s head band. The pro I take lessons from recommended that I read Dr Bob Rotella, “Golf is not a Perfect Game “ It has really helped me. Everyone hits a wall and needs some help. Hopefully whatever is bothering JF will get straightened out.

bravo
1) put gun on fire
2) get your right elbow propped on fixed surface. Ok, youre right, keep gun on safety until u do that.
3) find ur target in the scope
4) breathe out
5) “slow and squeeze” trigger.
6) clean deer

Maybe Fromm isn’t breathing out correctly? But watch em shoot up those gators!

Let's hope our QB is not this mentally fragile. A lot of folks were talking about how the reason he played poorly for stretches in 2018 was because he had to compete with Fields and now he's allegedly fighting more unknown mental issues?? I hope this isn't the case and it's just a slump he's in.

I mean, we already have to have almost perfect execution & blocking on a given pass play for it to be successful because he's not a guy who makes
plays on the run/out of the pocket....do we now have to have everything set up perfectly for him mentally as well?

I hope all this talk about him having the "yips" or whatever is just fan speculation because a team who wants to win anything big can't have a QB who has to battle these mental issues every season and be coddled back into playing form.

Reactions: MetroDawg21
Let's hope our QB is not this mentally fragile. A lot of folks were talking about how the reason he played poorly for stretches in 2018 was because he had to compete with Fields and now he's allegedly fighting more unknown mental issues?? I hope this isn't the case and it's just a slump he's in.

I mean, we already have to have almost perfect execution & blocking on a given pass play for it to be successful because he's not a guy who makes
plays on the run/out of the pocket....do we now have to have everything set up perfectly for him mentally as well?

I hope all this talk about him having the "yips" or whatever is just fan speculation because a team who wants to win anything big can't have a QB who has to battle these mental issues every season and be coddled back into playing form.

you're not even the first person today to (even indirectly) accuse me of being "mentally fragile." My wife had that taken care of by 6:00 AM.

I had a similar problem. I bought a Lazzeroni Warbird for its knock down power. It had a kick that a camel would drool over. First time I fired it the recoil brought the scope back to hit me right between the eyes. Still got a scar. It got me twice more before I learned to love it. It did just what it was supposed to do, and I came to realize that I had never felt a rifle kick when I was shooting at a deer. Only at targets.

:eek:

bravo
Sounds like the Yips in putting. :eek::eek::eek: Good way to shoot a toe off.

bravo

try a .22 lr. it's how i got so good.

bravo

I get what you're saying and sympathize with you as private individual... but if you were on the UGA sharp shooting team I'd be on the UGA Sharp Shooting Vent telling anyone who would listen that you need to be benched and we need a Trigger Pulling Coordinator in the booth.

Buy a 10 gauge magnum shotgun and shoot from the hip!:)
Maybe DAWGS should try out their BENSON straight shooter I 'v heard it shoots straight accurate bullets to the intended receiver(if your are with me here it isn't a deer). Fromm should be taken out for at least time for coach to talk with him. I believe The BENSON straight shooter will hit a few targets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT