ADVERTISEMENT

From a leader with the Southern Bapt Convention

Sure, what do you need to know? I teach US history and I'm always happy to help folks that think they know, but don't really understand, American history.
LOL.......no wonder kids today don't have a clue since folks like yourself want to re-write history to suit their own political agenda. Not only am I an expert on the antebellum south and studied the history of the events leading up to the war, the war itself, and afterward but also studied and visited every major battlefield. There's NOTHING you can teach me, since you probably aren't even aware that the North's 2 most famous generals OWNED slaves and didn't free them until forced to do so thanks to the passage of 13th Amendment (which Delaware failed to ratify until 1901 BTW). You obviously know very little of the actual details of the war itself and almost nothing of those who fought it and their reasons for fighting it. When Grant was asked why he didn't free his own slaves he replied "good help is hard to find".

If they were traitors, explain the confederate memorial at Arlington ? ........yep, he's now searching google , cause the History professor didn't know about it.
No wonder kids today, having been taught revisionist history by someone so biased, are so ignorant as to the true facts surrounding some of the most important parts of our history. It's scary to think kids are actually having to borrow money to be taught by such incompetent individuals, especially on the college level.

If they were traitors, explain the confederate memorial at Arlington ? ........yep, he's now searching google , cause the History professor didn't know about it.
He doesn't even have a basic understanding of the "mindset" of most individuals in the 1850's leading up to the war, when there was a much greater allegiance to one's state than to the Federal Government. If someone can't wrap their head around that concept anything after that is pointless. Which is the only reason Robert E. Lee didn't command the Union Army. Pug's trying to attach a 2015 mentality to the 1860's. It's misguided and just doesn't work.

No wonder kids today, having been taught revisionist history by someone so biased, are so ignorant as to the true facts surrounding some of the most important parts of our history. It's scary to think kids are actually having to borrow money to be taught by such incompetent individuals, especially on the college level.
Exactly. I picture this guy as the Econ Prof in the Dangerfield Movie Back to School.

Thanks for the compliment. I consider William T. Sherman to be one of the greatest combat leaders in American history.

Actually, Sherman was pretty much a disaster. He had to be saved Grant. He should have been tried as a war criminal. He was only successful in the Atlanta Campaign due to overwhelming numbers and operational stupidity by Johnson and Hood.

Actually, Sherman was pretty much a disaster. He had to be saved Grant. He should have been tried as a war criminal. He was only successful in the Atlanta Campaign due to overwhelming numbers and operational stupidity by Johnson and Hood.

Sherman was one of the most brilliant officers ever produced by the United States Army. He was the first modern practitioner of total warfare.

My favorite quote of Sherman's: "My aim then was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. 'Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.'"

As for whether or not Sherman should have been tried as a war criminal, General Curtis LeMay said it best: "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier."

He doesn't even have a basic understanding of the "mindset" of most individuals in the 1850's leading up to the war, when there was a much greater allegiance to one's state than to the Federal Government. If someone can't wrap their head around that concept anything after that is pointless. Which is the only reason Robert E. Lee didn't command the Union Army. Pug's trying to attach a 2015 mentality to the 1860's. It's misguided and just doesn't work.

That's neo-confederate baloney.

As an officer in the United States Regular Army, Robert E. Lee swore this oath: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

This is an ironclad oath. Lee renounced this oath and became a domestic enemy of the United States. He was a traitor.

As an officer in the United States Regular Army, Robert E. Lee swore this oath: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

This is an ironclad oath. Lee renounced this oath and became a domestic enemy of the United States. He was a traitor.

You do know the US Army released men of the South from their oat? Man what a professor, more like a goofy dipshit

WT Sherman was a horrible commander. The Battle of Tunnel Hill alone should have been enough for him to resign his commission. To repeatedly order frontal assaualts on heavily fortified positions is insane. Grant bailed him out time and again. Do these NTACs even read history books? Oh, that's right, when you're busy re-writing them, you don't have time to read.

Maybe our currently military should uphold that oath as well. Lot of domestic enemies in DC that need to be removed. Of course, I'm sure you think otherwise.

Maybe our currently military should uphold that oath as well. Lot of domestic enemies in DC that need to be removed. Of course, I'm sure you think otherwise.
You do know the US Army released men of the South from their oat? Man what a professor, more like a goofy dipshit
Whitepug is about as good a historian as I am a golfer.

Reactions: Rolodawg2011
Sherman was one of the most brilliant officers ever produced by the United States Army. He was the first modern practitioner of total warfare.

My favorite quote of Sherman's: "My aim then was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. 'Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.'"

As for whether or not Sherman should have been tried as a war criminal, General Curtis LeMay said it best: "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier."

Sorry, Sherman was an idiot and made famous only by carrying out Grant's instruction but he followed them out in a much more brutal fashion than Grant desired. Grant was probably the best strategic mind of the war. Sherman was in the right place at the right time.

Every American should think about the confederacy and what it stood for. Neo-confederates won't admit it, but the ancestors they worship freely admitted their rebellion, and the society they wanted to preserve, was based upon owning and exploiting other human beings for their own profit. The confederates gambled on rebellion and treason and LOST decisively. Their selfishness and stupidity at challenging the industrial and manpower might of the United States cost the South dearly for nearly a century. The confederates should have been grateful they weren't hung as traitors (every confederate was certainly guilty of treason as defined by the US Constitution).
LOL. I gots me a flag. You welcome to come and get it. I can give you my address if you ax for it and will show up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT