ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Georgia 3-2-1 report, recruiting edition (10/7)

JedMay

Pillar of the DawgVent
Staff
May 24, 2021
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this, like all 3-2-1 reports, is sponsored by the good folks over at Krystal. Radi is going to dock an extra year's pay for that one. Anyway, Krystal now delivers! Download the app or go to www.krystal.com to place an order for delivery or pick-up before or after the game. Use code “appsnack” with your first order and get two Krystals and a small soda FREE with minimum order.

image001.png

We’re back, folks.

The Georgia 3-2-1 recruiting report is here to answer all your questions as we near the midpoint of the season. Prepare yourself to read the word flip a lot. It’s not the four-letter f-word a lot of y’all are used to, but I think you’ll still enjoy it.

Three observations

Defensive back class rounding into shape

Georgia’s 2022 class started with a commitment from four-star corner Marquis Groves-Killebrew. As the 2022 cycle comes to a close, it only makes sense for the Bulldogs to be closing strong there as well.

The name you’ve heard the most over the past few months is Kamari Wilson. Georgia has led for the nation’s No. 3 safety for a long time now. After a visit to Athens for the Arkansas game, the Bulldogs’ position is stronger than ever before.

Wilson isn’t the only defensive back who left Athens impressed last weekend. Four-star and Florida commit Julian Humphrey also took his official visit last weekend. Whether it was the environment or the lack of jorts present on campus, Georgia made up plenty of ground with the Texas cornerback last weekend as well.

Along with five-star and No. 1 corner Jaheim Singletary, those two are the top targets left on Georgia’s defensive back board. Look for the Bulldogs to land at least two, if not all three.

Livin’ on the EDGE

First, let me just say I love typing EDGE in all caps. The best thing about this hybrid position is that it makes me feel like I’m yelling in the middle of a paragraph. All my writing teachers cringe every time, I'm sure (sorry, Cowne).

Anyway, Georgia’s group of pass rushers has been ever-changing throughout the summer. It once looked as if UGA led for five-star Mykel Williams, then he committed to USC. The Bulldogs led, then didn’t, then did for Philadelphia four-star Enai White. Three-star CJ Madden from Cedar Grove High School went from Colorado pledge to UGA commit in just a couple months.

Got all that? Now get ready for where things stand now.

First, Mykel Williams. He’s still pledged to the Trojans as of this moment. There’s plenty of smoke coming from the fire that seems to signal Williams’ eventual flip to the Bulldogs. The Georgia staff has never stopped recruiting him, although their pitch has evolved from him as a defensive end to more of an outside linebacker/end hybrid. Right now, we are betting on Williams to end up in Athens. Even the USC staff doesn’t think they retain his commitment.

As for White, Georgia seemed to lead for him after he visited for the South Carolina game. That’s no longer the case. White is not going to be part of this class, and sources have told UGASports that is best for everybody involved.

The third name to know is Shemar Stewart. The Florida four-star prospect took an unofficial trip to Athens for the Arkansas contest and, by all accounts, had a great time. He greatly enjoyed the atmosphere and the elite (had to fit that buzzword) crowd environment. He’s planning to return for an official visit later this fall, which is a good sign for a Georgia program that has already made up plenty of ground with him.

Travis Hunter! Loud Noises!

You know that scene from “Anchorman” where Brick just starts yelling in the office? That’s how our UGASports group text looked when we spotted Travis Hunter in the stands last Saturday.

Hunter is a bit of a rarity in the recruiting ranks. He’s a five-star and ranked as the top player in the 2022 class, yet you don’t hear much about his recruitment given that he’s been committed to Florida State for over a year and a half. For a while, it looked as if Hunter’s recruitment was over.

An appearance in Athens, however, raises plenty of questions. The current dumpster fire in Tallahassee makes the I-85 fire a few years ago look like a couple fireflies getting it on. Georgia, meanwhile, looks unstoppable. It only makes sense for Hunter to listen to his in-state school when it appears to be such an attractive option.

Georgia has given Hunter something serious to think about. If he does end up flipping, it will likely be to Georgia. That is by no means imminent - his ties to Florida State are strong and it will be tough to get him out of Tallahassee. Still, the Bulldogs look primed to make one last push for Hunter over the coming months. The next step in a potential flip will need to be to get Hunter back on campus.

Long live Ron Burgundy.

Two Questions

Who else will Georgia flip?

I’ve already mentioned most of the main flip candidates - Humphrey, Williams, even Travis Hunter. That is by no means the complete list.

Five-star corner Jaheim Singletary is one name that could count. Some of you might be more familiar with statutes of limitations than I am, but he was technically committed to Ohio State at one point. Same goes for 2022's top receiver Luther Burden, who was once committed to Oklahoma and has Georgia in his top three with Alabama and Missouri.

Georgia is still in on five-star defensive tackle Travis Shaw as well despite his commitment to the Tarheels. Much like Florida State, North Carolina has looked rough so far this season. The Tar Heels defense giving up 45 points to Georgia Tech isn’t a great look. By comparison, Georgia has allowed 35 points to the Yellow Jackets over the last three years. Then there was the loss to Virginia Tech...

Shaw has been battling injuries this fall. The Georgia staff is trying to figure out a time to go to North Carolina and see him. The Bulldogs aren’t done here just yet.

Other potential names to monitor include Deyon “Smoke” Bouie, Aliou Bah, Shemar James, and EJ Lightsey. Bouie had been committed to the Bulldogs before flipping to Texas A&M. Bah, like Hunter, is currently pledged to Florida State and would be a huge addition to the offensive line class. James and Lightsey are both committed to Florida. A beatdown in Jacksonville could make some serious waves there.

Will the new scholarship rules affect this class? How?

Short answer: I don’t know yet, and neither do you.

The recent rule change by the NCAA allows seven extra spots in a class to account for transfers. The extra signees must coincide with a player that transferred out of the program.

Much of those decisions won’t become clear until after the season is over, at least publicly. The coaching staff could have a better idea of which players might be entering the portal, and thus they might know how many spots are actually open in the class.

The early signing day will take many players off the market. However, the early part of 2022 could see plenty of movement in the recruiting class if players transfer out of the Georgia program.

One Prediction

This will be the greatest flip season Georgia’s ever had

Flip season started for Georgia months ago. Just over the summer, the Bulldogs flipped Madden from Colorado and Griffin Scroggs from Georgia Tech.

That’s just the beginning of what could be a massive haul on the flip market. Singletary, Humphrey, Williams, Shaw, Hunter, Bah - those are just the top names the Bulldogs are hoping to pry from the hands of other schools.

My prediction is this: This 2022 class will go down as one of the best years Georgia has ever had in terms of flips. Both in quality and quantity of prospects, the next few months are shaping up to be huge for the Bulldogs. A couple of those are already more likely than not to end up at Georgia, with the coaching staff working hard on the others as the calendars flip toward early signing day.

So, get ready for more flipping. Hope you don’t get too nauseous along the way.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9,208
Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News