ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg I could list a bazillion of these. But name a certain song that just hits you, man...

As a brother and Liverpool fan... this one always meant a ton to me...

Off the top of my head:

Morning Song - Avett Brothers
Banks of the Deep End - Govt Mule
Parabola - Tool
Down in a Hole - Alice in Chains
Soup - Blind Melon
Into the Deep - Galactic (feat Macy Gray)
I Don’t Mind - Sturgill Simpson (Cuttin Grass Version)

Reactions: Jhatche2
What a wonderful world - Louis Armstrong

drive - Alan jackson
Concur on “What a Wonderful World”. My mother loved that song so I chose it to dance with her at my wedding. She passed in 2013 so every time I hear it I think of her.

Belle of the ball - Waylon
Can’t you see -MTB
If it’s the beaches - avert brorhers
Living proof - Hank jr

Some great picks so far! I'm going with Vampires by Jason Isbell. Talks about how you and your spouse may have 40 good years together and that one of you have to pass 1st.

As a brother and Liverpool fan... this one always meant a ton to me...

"Can't you See" - Marshall Tucker Band (reminds me of my time in college)

"Have You Ever Seen the Rain" - CCR (reminds me of my dad)

"Learn Me Right" - Birdie (with Mumford and Sons) - (reminds me of my daughters)

"Brighter Days" - JJ Grey and Mofro

Last edited:
Georgia - Ray Charles, can’t beat it & it’s the official state song. Oh how I do love this state!
That was mine and my wife's first dance song (her first name just so happens to be Georgia). Unfortunately, the band declined our request to go into the Ludacris version at the end.

YNWA - Gerry and the Pacemakers
If I Needed You - TVZ
In My Life - Beatles
Ruby and Carlos - McMurtry

"Oh, Comely" and "Two Headed Boy Pt 2" - Neutral Milk Hotel

Box of Rain - Grateful Dead

Chop Suey! - System of a Down (the bridge gets me everytime)

Elephant- Jason Isbell

Reactions: Radi Nabulsi
Great songs listed here- would add several that get to me for personal reasons:

Agree with
1) YNWA- big Liverpool fan
2) No Hard Feelings - Avett bros- beautiful sentiment and raw (could add multiple other Avett Bros tunes to this list as well)
3) Yesterday and The Long and Winding Road- Beatles -sang these songs to my older two kids (16 and 20) to put them to sleep for years - gets me every time
4) So. Central Rain- REM My sister sent it to me on a mix tape full of great tunes not too long after Reckoning was released and REM was getting noticed nationally. She had just gone off to UGA and I was still in high school- very cool of her. I kept that tape for 20 years until it fell apart as she died several years later. That song has been a great memory of her for me.
5) Fairytale of New York- The Pogues. My wife and I performed this duet with each other every Christmas for years. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a difficult divorce- the irony.
6) Sam Stone- John Prine- defy you to listen to the words and tone and not tear up a bit.

Awesome thread, @BaronVonHeinsteidel!

There are a few songs that immediately jump out for me. All of these get cranked up full blast when they come on my Spotify shuffle.

1) Driving Song - WSP
2) Just a Phase - Incubus
3) Try and Love Again - The Eagles
4) Cortez, The Killer - Warren Haynes & Dave Matthews
5) Long Black Veil - Dave Matthews

Reactions: Radi Nabulsi
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad - Derek & the Dominos
Eminence Front - The Who (mainly the intro, but the song is good too)

Reactions: acndog
Watched every second of Peter Jackson's doc. Some thought it was too long. I loved every second. It was a privilege to watch genius and see how the sausage was made.

@jbirdawg

Last edited:
Kashmir and When the Levee Breaks - Zep (so many incredible hs memories hanging out at UVa fraternities)

Thunder Road - Springsteen (one of the greatest lyrics ever in terms of seeing it in your minds eye (“the screen door slams, Wendy’s dress sways, like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays”)

Allison - Elvis Costello
“But I heard you let that little friend of mine, Take off your party dress.
I'm not going to get too sentimental
Like those other sticky valentines,
'Cause I don't know if you are loving some body. I only know it isn't mine.”

On The Western Skyline - Bruce Hornsby - reminds me of home in Virginia where Bruce is from (“about this time of evening, out by the bay, they turn the road lights on the bridge, well a diesel rolls in silhouette, eastbound, lovers glad the sun has set”).

Rich Girl - Hall & Oates “high and dry, left out in the rain, it’s so easy, to hurt others when you can’t feel pain.” One of the most incredible lyric of all time.

Kodachrome - Paul Simon - always puts me in a great mood (“when I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it’s a wonder I can think at all”)

Mrs Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel - “ where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you … what’s that you say, Mrs Robinson, Joltin Joe has left and gone away”. Always think of my granddad who loved DiMaggio.

So. Central Rain and Driver 8 - I have always loved trains and these songs are Athens - REMs best imo .

others …
Slit Skirt - Pete Townsend
IGY - Donald Fagan
Georgia - Ray Charles
Bluebird - Miranda Lambert
Angel from Montgomery - Susan Tedeschi
Feathered Indians - Tyler Childers

Last edited:
Reactions: Diverdowndawg
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad - Derek & the Dominos
Eminence Front - The Who (mainly the intro, but the song is good too)
Great post on Eminence Front - phenomenal song

Reactions: Diverdowndawg
Watched every second of Peter Jackson's doc. Some thought it was too long. I loved every second. It was a privilege to watch genius and see how the sausage was made.

@jbirdawg
Totally agree! Going through the quieter slow parts was paid off when they played the rooftop. I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was less than a month away from being six and I’ve been all about them ever since. Still collect magazines and articles, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT