ADVERTISEMENT

It's hard for me to admit this, but since Covid, Atlanta has become boring to me. Did Covid destroy the bar industry where you live?...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
It's not uncommon for bars to close between 10:30 and 11 now, three years later.

I have about 50 people coming to town in Sept (this group of people has a party once a year in different cities). We are having four day, weekend get-together, and I'm legitimately considering having them hang out in an Atlanta suburb where there is proximity to a bars that are open late-night, where guys can be shuttled back efficiently, in a short proximity to where we are staying.

We may not even leave the house because there isn't an ideal combination of the factors above in Atl anymore. This blows me away. Because not long ago, Atlanta was one of my favorite places to hang out (bar wise). I've always been proud of Atlanta. I've always bragged about it and defended it. But now I don't want my friends to see it tbh.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's COVID necessarily (or if the pandemic was merely an accelerant), but it seems to me like late-night drinking has dropped off altogether in favor of day-drinking. Not sure if it's consumer tastes or just evolution of the industry...maybe a chicken and egg thing there.

Brewery taprooms/restaurants, tastings at wineries, fancy daytime cocktail spots and social clubs have boomed in the last decade, such that they are now proven models being bought up and funded by private equity. They (at least at face value) have broader appeal, happier employees, and in many cases better profit margins for various reasons.

I think the late night environment will always exist in some form or fashion (especially in college towns, major international cities, etc.), but in places other than NYC, Miami, LA and Vegas, I think things are trending toward the kind of alcohol-centric businesses I mentioned above.

Not sure if it's COVID necessarily (or if the pandemic was merely an accelerant), but it seems to me like late-night drinking has dropped off altogether in favor of day-drinking. Not sure if it's consumer tastes or just evolution of the industry...maybe a chicken and egg thing there.

Brewery taprooms/restaurants, tastings at wineries, fancy daytime cocktail spots and social clubs have boomed in the last decade, such that they are now proven models being bought up and funded by private equity. They (at least at face value) have broader appeal, happier employees, and in many cases better profit margins for various reasons.

I think the late night environment will always exist in some form or fashion (especially in college towns, major international cities, etc.), but in places other than NYC, Miami, LA and Vegas, I think things are trending toward the kind of alcohol-centric businesses I mentioned above.
It goes hand in hand with Covid though. Bars were closed for weeks to months. When they reopened, they closed earlier. There are two huge reasons why. 1. Many workers in the industry didn't go back. 2. And because employees dictate the way the bars are run, more than ever, many refuse to work past 10.
I've become more of an evening drinker for this reason alone.

It goes hand in hand with Covid though. Bars were closed for weeks to months. When they reopened, they closed earlier. There are two huge reasons why. 1. Many workers in the industry didn't go back. 2. And because employees dictate the way the bars are run, more than ever, many refuse to work past 10.

Definitely impacted by COVID policies that have lingered on. But, you said it too, the staffing issues are significant for a lot of these places. If you want late night options, Nashville is the place to go with 50 people! Place is crazy every night of the week until LATE.

But, the drinking earlier idea above is interesting. My son works at a pizza place locally (suburbs of nashville) and they close at 11 on Friday/Saturday. It's a craft beer/pizza place with 30 taps and there's rarely anyone there after 10 on the weekends or after 9 during the week. And, they are VERY busy otherwise.

Yeah pandemic played a role for sure, just not sure if it wouldn't have happened anyway (seemed to me like it already was pre-COVID). One thing that the pandemic absolutely had a hand in - in addition to the labor shortage issue you note - I think outdoor space is also easier to provide, keep busy and service for day-drinking businesses than late night spots.

Reactions: Single Barrel Dawg
In the lockdown states, bars were the first businesses to close permanently.

I agree with you just based on my experiences of 2018 to now.

I was working a ton in New England and NY during 2018 and 2019 and the brewery/winery type more casual scene was in full swing. Then we all come out of the Covid era and I see much more of that scene growing here in the south as well. Don’t get my wrong, we had breweries etc but we didn’t have the “neighborhood brewery” like they did up there.

Now I have a handful of “neighborhood” type breweries, wine bars etc that are not the traditional bar. These are places that kids are running around, retirees are at the bar with 25 year olds etc. For me personally, it’s so much better. Just a few weeks ago, my wife, my daughter (teenager), and myself were at the bar eating and drinking(my daughter was drinking a coke) with two of my daughters teachers at 5pm on a Saturday. This wasn’t planned but just naturally happened.

In Savannah at least that didn’t really exist five years ago.

Definitely impacted by COVID policies that have lingered on. But, you said it too, the staffing issues are significant for a lot of these places. If you want late night options, Nashville is the place to go with 50 people! Place is crazy every night of the week until LATE.

But, the drinking earlier idea above is interesting. My son works at a pizza place locally (suburbs of nashville) and they close at 11 on Friday/Saturday. It's a craft beer/pizza place with 30 taps and there's rarely anyone there after 10 on the weekends or after 9 during the week. And, they are VERY busy otherwise.
Nashville is a little too clubby for this crowd. Shitty bars are more their speed.
But yes. Staffing is the biggest issue... but that's mainly a byproduct of the post-Covid world. The same bars I'm talking about closed from 1 to 3 (or whenever the crowd thinned out) as opposed to 10:30. That was less about the crowd thinning out than it was a hard close time.

That said, expectations have changed and people are now going home early regardless because they have adjusted to the bars themselves. I'm used to it, but I wouldn't take someone bar hopping from out of town. Atlanta is dogshit for that now.

CRIME is a bigger impact factor. I know many people who say they aren’t willing to venture out for fear of auto theft, assault, etc. Not so much in places like Roswell, but Buckhead, Perimeter Mall, avoid.

I agree with you just based on my experiences of 2018 to now.

I was working a ton in New England and NY during 2018 and 2019 and the brewery/winery type more casual scene was in full swing. Then we all come out of the Covid era and I see much more of that scene growing here in the south as well. Don’t get my wrong, we had breweries etc but we didn’t have the “neighborhood brewery” like they did up there.

Now I have a handful of “neighborhood” type breweries, wine bars etc that are not the traditional bar. These are places that kids are running around, retirees are at the bar with 25 year olds etc. For me personally, it’s so much better. Just a few weeks ago, my wife, my daughter (teenager), and myself were at the bar eating and drinking(my daughter was drinking a coke) with two of my daughters teachers at 5pm on a Saturday.

In Savannah at least that didn’t really exist five years ago.
I think you and @riserrr may be on to something here. I know some of it is age and some of it is having young kids, but even without the kids I think my social/drinking habits would be much the same. I’d much rather go have some drinks during the day, have a nice meal, maybe another drink or so and be back at the house. At that point, I may shut it down or keep drinking but I definitely prefer to be at the house at night.

I can’t remember the last time I was in a late night bar and honestly don’t see me self ever being “out” drinking past 11 or so again

Yeah pandemic played a role for sure, just not sure if it wouldn't have happened anyway (seemed to me like it already was pre-COVID). One thing that the pandemic absolutely had a hand in - in addition to the labor shortage issue you note - I think outdoor space is also easier to provide, keep busy and service for day-drinking businesses than late night spots.
I'm not dismissing the notion that there are spots like breweries where people just do their thing earlier (there are three of those within walking distance and that was always the case). My POV is literally based on bars that closed down 5 hours earlier after they opened back up... fwiw. I'm talking about actual places that changed (not the the landscape or the way people think). I'm talking about individual places that never went back and the Covid closings were the demarcation when they changed.

CRIME is a bigger impact factor. I know many people who say they aren’t willing to venture out for fear of auto theft, assault, etc. Not so much in places like Roswell, but Buckhead, Perimeter Mall, avoid.
Crime has risen since Covid. Most every factor we mention is a secondary and tertiary aspect of the changes during and post-Covid. Same arc.

..the Buckhead scene...from back in the 80's ..90's ...is gone..
This is true. As a mid 20s Buckhead resident, I can tell you we rarely go out in Buckhead anymore. The crowd is much, much different than the ones that showed up even when I was a senior in high school. We'll still go to 5 Paces every once in a while, or Johnny's after an event/ party, but the entire Buckhead bar scene is no longer as attractive to us post grads as I've heard it was 20 years ago. And it isn't the dating apps that have rendered it obsolete-- in my opinion, those are a product of a whole host of other factors. Gigantic rabbit hole

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
This is true. As a mid 20s Buckhead resident, I can tell you we rarely go out in Buckhead anymore. The crowd is much, much different than the ones that showed up even when I was a senior in high school. We'll still go to 5 Paces every once in a while, or Johnny's after an event/ party, but the entire Buckhead bar scene is no longer as attractive to us post grads as I've heard it was 20 years ago. And it isn't the dating apps that have rendered it obsolete-- in my opinion, those are a product of a whole host of other factors. Gigantic rabbit hole
What’s Kramers like these days yo

It's not uncommon for bars to close between 10:30 and 11 now, three years later.

I have about 50 people coming to town in Sept (this group of people has a party once a year in different cities). We are having four day, weekend get-together, and I'm legitimately considering having them hang out in an Atlanta suburb where there is proximity to a bars that are open late-night, where guys can be shuttled back efficiently, in a short proximity to where we are staying.

We may not even leave the house because there isn't an ideal combination of the factors above in Atl anymore. This blows me away. Because not long ago, Atlanta was one of my favorite places to hang out (bar wise). I've always been proud of Atlanta. I've always bragged about it and defended it. But now I don't want my friends to see it tbh.
Dude, Atlanta has always been boring. Always. Name for me a single identifiable sustained social trait in Atlanta that isn't negative.

Younger folks don't go out to bars like we (I'm 71) did back in the day...dating apps have curtailed that.. IMHO..
Not sure where you live but they are packed beyond capacity where I do.

Most folks don’t go out until 9-10 pm to get started which is good because I get in and out before the mass of humanity files in unless of course the wife wants a late nighter.

Not sure where you live but they are packed beyond capacity where I do.

Most folks don’t go out until 9-10 pm to get started which is good because I get in and out before the mass of humanity files in unless of course the wife wants a late nighter.
Where is this? There are still night clubs that are open late, which I have zero interest in. But where?

I’ve noticed this too in my city and have raised it with a few hospitality owners. But mostly on week days—I don’t go to bars on weekends (we’re far too old) but they seem busy when I walk past them.

Speaking anecdotally, the bar owners I’ve spoken to cite three things. First, COVID shifted consumers’ priorities to eating at a restaurant but drinking casually at home. Second, the younger generation is drinking considerably less than any prior generation and thus not going to bars in nearly the same frequency. Third, increased costs combined with lessened attendance doesn’t justify staying open late.

I think you are right. I think it is a combination of factors and I do think COVID had an impact. Others have mentioned reasons such as dating apps and less late-night drinking in general, and I do think those are legitimate factors. Another big factor is that there are now numerous suburban "downtown" bar and restaurant areas and those have taken away from the urban bar scene. I'm 52, and when I was in my twenties we would hit the Buckhead strip (which doesn't exist anymore) or Virginia Highlands every weekend because that is where all of the other people my age were. I live in Woodstock now, and the scene on the weekends in downtown Woodstock isn't that much different than the Buckhead strip thirty years ago. There are numerous other areas around Atlanta and other parts of the country that are similar and most of these areas didn't exist until fairly recently.

Yeah, its unfortunate (or fortunate depending on who you are) that you didn't get to experience what Atlanta was like in the mid-90s... Strip Clubs galore everywhere, 24 hour night clubs, incredible music scene, gridlock around the Buckhead bar scene almost nightly, thriving Little 5 district, etc, etc, etc....

I lived in Atlanta (ITP) around 94 to 99 when I was 23-28 years old and the night life then was something to behold.

Where is this? There are still night clubs that are open late, which I have zero interest in. But where?
Palm Beach! But of course the Covid outbreak was only temporary here and with the influx of so may folks from all over the country it’s business as usual.

I think you and @riserrr may be on to something here. I know some of it is age and some of it is having young kids, but even without the kids I think my social/drinking habits would be much the same. I’d much rather go have some drinks during the day, have a nice meal, maybe another drink or so and be back at the house. At that point, I may shut it down or keep drinking but I definitely prefer to be at the house at night.

I can’t remember the last time I was in a late night bar and honestly don’t see me self ever being “out” drinking past 11 or so again
Yeah I thought it was age as well until becoming “brewery friends” with some people in their 20s. They are mostly all the 5pm-10pm drinkers as well. They Do pizza/beer from 5pm-8pm and then maybe go to a cocktail bar for one nice cocktail before heading home.

I also think some of it is streaming services. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people (in their 20s) say they wanted to get in to watch a show or two before bed. When I was in my twenties, we didn’t have much on TV on Fridays and Saturdays so going out was our option.

Now downtown Savannah…that’s a different animal. The tourist attack it with reckless abandonment and those bars stay open and packed late. However, even our 20ish year old friends as well as most of the SCAD students we interact with avoid that scene.

Yeah I thought it was age as well until becoming “brewery friends” with some people in their 20s. They are mostly all the 5pm-10pm drinkers as well. They Do pizza/beer from 5pm-8pm and then maybe go to a cocktail bar for one nice cocktail before heading home.

I also think some of it is streaming services. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people (in their 20s) say they wanted to get in to watch a show or two before bed. When I was in my twenties, we didn’t have much on TV on Fridays and Saturdays so going out was our option.

Now downtown Savannah…that’s a different animal. The tourist attack it with reckless abandonment and those bars stay open and packed late. However, even our 20ish year old friends as well as most of the SCAD students we interact with avoid that scene.
Yeah this is very interesting stuff. I can’t relate to the tv thing, but I do certainly enjoy having some tunes going and a nice drink on the deck.

Reactions: CalienteDawg
I have not spent much time handing around ATL since the early 90s. What is the status of Little 5 Points? Is the Beer Mug still around?

I have not spent much time handing around ATL since the early 90s. What is the status of Little 5 Points? Is the Beer Mug still around?
Little 5 Points makes me sad. The Star Bar is still open, but their crowds haven't recovered since Covid. They are always on the brink of closing for good. The Brewhouse is still hanging on, but barely it seems. Seems like the Yacht Club is fairly steady. The Corner Tavern seems to close really early. Often nobody in there. El Myr is still going, but they've sort of turner into an urban dance club after about 7... to keep business going.

Right, I would so much rather have a couple drinks out in the afternoon/dinner, then head home where I can stop or keep it going for much cheaper. Kids is a big part of it but I’ve also been out late for bachelor parties since having kids and it’s just not my scene anymore.

A group of friends and I had a great bro weekend in Atlanta about a month ago. They rented an AirBNB in Inman Park. We spent a day on the west side hopping breweries and grabbing food at The Works, Dinner and bar hopping in Inman Park, and day drinking on the Beltline. Stopping for food at Krog Street. We didn't stay out drinking too late. Took the party back to the AirBNB for late-night drinks.

I'll admit that most of our activities were daytime/evening oriented. Haven't been much of a late-night guy since I left Athens anyway. I've never found Atlanta to be super convenient for late-night shenanigans due to the fact that the city is so disconnected and public transportation options are not great, which may speak to your point.

Still, we had an awesome time in the city. Tons of great food and restaurant options. A lot of great breweries and bars to visit. The best nights in Atlanta require a little advanced planning in order to conveniently grab dinner and drinks in the same area without the headache of commuting across the city from one place to another.

The CARES Act order was just rescinded. I anticipate ppl going back out if they can afford it.

I think COVID played a part but mostly just a shift in people preferring breweries over bars now days. Less people want to deal with the crowds, traffic or hassle to find parking that comes with bars. I'm not sure about GA but here in Va breweries are the thing to do. I agree I've notice more people prefer hanging out with friends earlier in the day drinking beer and than in previous years.

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg
I think COVID played a part but mostly just a shift in people preferring breweries over bars now days. Less people want to deal with the crowds, traffic or hassle to find parking that comes with bars. I'm not sure about GA but here in Va breweries are the thing to do. I agree I've notice more people prefer hanging out with friends earlier in the day drinking beer and than in previous years.
Maybe, but back in the day Buckhead was fun.

Reactions: shonuff253
Maybe, but back in the day Buckhead was fun.
Have to also consider the traffic and lack of public transportation. I really wish Kemp and the city of ATL would push to end the myth that expanding MARTA will someone expand crime. If your get away plan from a crime scene is public transportation you're a f-ing idiot. They need to expand the number of MARTA rail lines to go all the way out to 285 and circle it.

pluck your eyebrows, shave your legs, find your red dress, makeup & heels and go hangout at Piedmont Park.

take the walk on the wild side, that should cure your boredom……it’s the American way.

Yeah. I get the rise in popularity of breweries. But as I previously stated, the actual bars that I attended before Covid, literally closed at 2-3. When they opened back up, they closed at 10:30. This has nothing to do with breweries or the consumer's desire to turn in early at that time (They are certainly conditoned now). Nothing was open. This wasn't the bar's preference to lose money and close down. This was literally the help refusing to work late night or even come back at all.

This isn't an either/or thing. Like everything post-Covid, it's a compounding issue. And also, every area doesn't have breweries. But also like most things involving Covid, we seem to have forgotten that institutions typically change overnight. World events dramatically change things. Covid (seems to) have affected leaving the house far more than 9/11 changed travel and other factors.

Restaurants are suffering too, for the same reasons. Workers and the gradual conditioning of the consumer killed the industry in concert. That's a Covid thing and has nothing to do with the popularity of breweries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT