ADVERTISEMENT

maybe trump will finally go away, after attacking war veterans

I'm no Trump fan but he sarcastically disparaged John McCain...not all P.O.W.s. Do some research on McCain. Most prisoners of war hate him and believe that he collaborated with the enemy.

Reactions: Wolf Rockdale
I'm no Trump fan but he sarcastically disparaged John McCain...not all P.O.W.s. Do some research on McCain. Most prisoners of war hate him and believe that he collaborated with the enemy.
not buying it .... the man is a US Senator, his family history is deeply rooted in service to the US Navy...what is trump? a real estate salesman with a combover

he said McCain and other prisoners of war weren't his heroes....his heroes are the winners that didn't get captured

Lord, that's not what he said......Oh Dear Lord please help your Country, I pray my fellow citizens start paying attention rather than falling prey to the sound bite

Reactions: lawdawg24
Lord, that's not what he said......Oh Dear Lord please help your Country, I pray my fellow citizens start paying attention rather than falling prey to the sound bite
it is too what he said....he said his heroes were the ones that didnt lose, and didnt get captured.

it is too what he said....he said his heroes were the ones that didnt lose, and didnt get captured.

No, he did not. Please go read his quote.

Fact Check: The Washington Post on Donald Trump and John McCain

Donald Trump appears to have gotten under the skin of not only Democrats, but also fellow Republicans and the news media. Has that subjected Trump, a Republican presidential candidate, to unfair and/or inaccurate reporting?

An article in the Washington Post today is headlined, “Trump slams McCain for being ‘captured’ in Vietnam.”

The article’s lead sentence states, “Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump slammed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a decorated Vietnam War veteran, on Saturday by saying McCain was not a war hero because he was captured by the North Vietnamese [emphasis added].”

Is this report accurate?

In fact, Trump’s actual quote is the opposite of what is presented in the Post’s first sentence.

Discussion

1. The Post did not provide context at the outset disclosing that McCain and Trump have been feuding, with McCain characterizing some Trump supporters as “crazies” and Trump stating that McCain graduated last in his class in Annapolis. The charged rhetoric continued at the conservative Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa this weekend.

2. When a panelist characterized McCain as a “war hero,” the Post is accurate in reporting that Trump initially said McCain is “not a war hero.” But then, Trump immediately modified his statement saying– four times– that McCain is a war hero:

“He is a war hero.”

“He’s a war hero because he was captured.”

“He’s a war hero, because he was captured.”

“I believe, perhaps, he’s a war hero. But right now, he’s said some very bad things about a lot of people.”

3. Did Trump say McCain is not a war hero because he was captured? No, not in the exchanges represented in the Post.

4. Is the Post’s characterization an accident? It would appear not, because it is repeated in the Post’s caption of the video clip, which also states: “Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a decorated Vietnam war veteran, was not a war hero because he was captured by the North Vietnamese [emphasis added].”

Further, in the Post’s second sentence, Trump is quoted as stating of McCain, “He’s not a war hero…He’s a war hero because he was captured,” but the article selectively left out the phrase Trump had uttered in between: “He is a war hero.”

Conclusion

Trump actually said the opposite of what the Post lead sentence and video caption claim. The Post might have been able to get away stating that Trump “implied” McCain was not a war hero because McCain was captured, but even that would have been a subjective interpretation since Trump had actually stated the opposite.

It’s true that Trump stated one time that McCain is not a war hero. But Trump stated four times that McCain is a war hero–and that was not accurately characterized in the article.

For interpreting and characterizing Trump’s true quote in a way that is at best questionable, and for selectively using some quotes and leaving others out, the Post receives Two Little Devils. (Ratings scale at end of article.)

IMG_2288

Obviously, all are free to draw conclusions about any candidate or politician. But the news media has a responsibility to do its best to report accurately and fairly–even when reporters find a candidate and/or his positions to be personally distasteful.

955680d1437307654-trump-on-mccain-s-heroism-img_2288-1024x545.jpg

"Most" is bullshit. Where was Trump during Nam? He was in college getting student deferments. After school he got a medical deferment. He may have millions but he is a low life piece of shit. Lowest remark in a campain I have read in my life- by a meglomaniac. The only thing he has served is himself.

"Most" is bullshit. Where was Trump during Nam? He was in college getting student deferments. After school he got a medical deferment. He may have millions but he is a low life piece of shit. Lowest remark in a campain I have read in my life- by a meglomaniac. The only thing he has served is himself.

You've not paid much attention to Hillary then?

Again, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

from fox...

The Republican Arizona senator said the best thing to do is "move forward" while also calling Trump's remarks "offensive to veterans."

McCain weighed in after Trump rocked the Republican presidential primary race with his seemingly offhand but pointed dig at the longtime Arizona senator and former presidential candidate. On Saturday, Trump said McCain, a former Navy fighter pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner during the Vietnam War, was a war hero -- but said that's "because he was captured."

"I like people who weren't captured," he said.

The comment touched off a firestorm, with Republicans leaping to McCain's defense and suggesting Trump had, this time, gone too far.

You've not paid much attention to Hillary then?
I love all the chicken hawks and their banter. Always want someone else to do their fighting for them. Where was Trump during Nam? Like I said he is a low life piece of shit. I could still whip his ass ( at 65) but his bodyguards would protect him.

from fox...

The Republican Arizona senator said the best thing to do is "move forward" while also calling Trump's remarks "offensive to veterans."

McCain weighed in after Trump rocked the Republican presidential primary race with his seemingly offhand but pointed dig at the longtime Arizona senator and former presidential candidate. On Saturday, Trump said McCain, a former Navy fighter pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner during the Vietnam War, was a war hero -- but said that's "because he was captured."

The comment touched off a firestorm, with Republicans leaping to McCain's defense and suggesting Trump had, this time, gone too far.

As noted above he said FOUR time s "he's a hero" He made an ill fated attempt to get a dig at McCain (who had disparaged Americans) What you just posted is not what you said he said.

I love all the chicken hawks and their banter. Always want someone else to do their fighting for them. Where was Trump during Nam? Like I said he is a low life piece of shit. I could still whip his ass ( at 65) but his bodyguards would protect him.

Whatever pal. McCain's a POS, I have no sympathy for him. McCain called American citizens crazy. It was a personal fight between the two, there was nothing meant to disparage anyone but Juan McCain.

As noted above he said FOUR time s "he's a hero" He made an ill fated attempt to get a dig at McCain (who had disparaged Americans) What you just posted is not what you said he said.

unless you're incredibly dense, you will understand what he's saying here, moreso if you watch the interview....he's clearly disparaging McCain and all US POW's here...there's no way to put lipstick on this pig, he said it and he's not backing down from it

Trump said McCain, a former Navy fighter pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner during the Vietnam War, was a war hero -- but said that's "because he was captured."

I know its politics but for a man(who didn't serve) has no right to say anything critical of McCain. I agree with some of the things Trump says but he is just a blowhard. I believe he will drop out in due time.

Reactions: Riotch
unless you're incredibly dense, you will understand what he's saying here, moreso if you watch the interview....he's clearly disparaging McCain and all US POW's here...there's no way to put lipstick on this pig, he said it and he's not backing down from it

Trump said McCain, a former Navy fighter pilot who spent five-and-a-half years as a prisoner during the Vietnam War, was a war hero -- but said that's "because he was captured."

I don't think I'm dense? But I saw it too, and it was clear he was taking a shot at Juan McCain, it could be more clear calling him a hero, it was an off handed remark directed at McCain, not all vets. You really have to draw some crooked road maps to get there. Again, the post above shows this is mostly media driven. A lot of ppl agree with Trump about McCain, guys in prison with him call him a traitor. I make no judgement cause I didn't do and wasn't there. But the NYT's back when it was actually happening called McCain "The song bird" for cooperating with the enemy for 4 years.

I know its politics but for a man(who didn't serve) has no right to say anything critical of McCain. I agree with some of the things Trump says but he is just a blowhard. I believe he will drop out in due time.

Well I respect that opinion, but This whole thing was started by McCain. Trump was responding and make an in artful remark. But he was clearly not talking about all vets. I'm a Cruz, Carson, Walker guy. But I'm glad to see someone like Trump not shrink in the face of media and establishment Rep attacks, he doesn't back away from anything he says. Most all repubs are afraid of their own shadow and stumble all over themselves to retreat on their principals in the face of the media onslaught.

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
Whatever pal. McCain's a POS, I have no sympathy for him. McCain called American citizens crazy. It was a personal fight between the two, there was nothing meant to disparage anyone but Juan McCain.
McCain served his country and paid a price for it. How can anyone defend a man who's is best known for "you are fired" and fooling HW into a contract. You not one of those chicken hawks-are you?

McCain served his country and paid a price for it. How can anyone defend a man who's is best known for "you are fired" and fooling HW into a contract. You not one of those chicken hawks-are you?

I don't think I am? Like I said, other men who served with him have a much different opinion of him. IMO his injuries speak for itself.....but I wasn't there like they were. So I'd defer to those Vets who suffered and didn't cooperate with the Enemy.

I don't think I am? Like I said, other men who served with him have a much different opinion of him. IMO his injuries speak for itself.....but I wasn't there like they were. So I'd defer to those Vets who suffered and didn't cooperate with the Enemy.
or how about just respect anybody that fought for their country and was a POW, and leave it at that?

or how about just respect anybody that fought for their country and was a POW, and leave it at that?

Well he said he was a war hero. I mean he's not the one that even brought it up.....OTOH how about respect for America Citizens from a sitting Senator? Its not like he's an MSNBC host.

Well he said he was a war hero. I mean he's not the one that even brought it up.....OTOH how about respect for America Citizens from a sitting Senator? Its not like he's an MSNBC host.

just curious...what branch and what conflict did Trump serve in?

Somebody tell me why I should care about this Trump-McCain spat. McCain started it by saying all Trump supporters were crazy. Is he saying that anyone that wants to secure the border is crazy? I think it is only common sense to want a sovereign country. As for Trump’s comments, does anyone really believe that Trump doesn’t respect our vets and the military?

I think McCain deserves respect for his military service but not for his Senatorial career. McCain has always taken liberal positions which imo hurt Repubs and the cons cause. McCain has always been an open borders advocate. He won’t stand up to La Raza nor does he care about massive importation of illegal immigrants in an effort to change the ethnic balance of this country?

McCain has swallowed the Climate Change propaganda hook link and sinker. He has said oil is a threat to our security. Huh? He has become a Rino who wants media approval more than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawdawg24
You libs sure do have selective faux outrage. Never have I seen libs defend a member of the military, much less John McCain. If Trump weren't leading the polls y'all wouldn't even be having this conversation.
McCain may be a hero, and a sitting Senator, but that doesn't give him authority to call citizens "crazies", of which I'm sure there were veterans in the mix. Extremely disrespectful and shows exactly what the ruling class actually thinks of its citizens. Where is your faux outrage for this, libs? {{crickets}}

You libs sure do have selective faux outrage. Never have I seen libs defend a member of the military, much less John McCain. If Trump weren't leading the polls y'all wouldn't even be having this conversation.
McCain may be a hero, and a sitting Senator, but that doesn't give him authority to call citizens "crazies", of which I'm sure there were veterans in the mix. Extremely disrespectful and shows exactly what the ruling class actually thinks of its citizens. Where is your faux outrage for this, libs? {{crickets}}
who you calling a lib? anybody that offers a different view than yours?

who you calling a lib? anybody that offers a different view than yours?

The rhetoric seemed to indicate. If not, then my apologies; I realize those are fighting words. :)

If not for Trump no one would be discussing illegal immigration nor our veterans. The current presidential candidates would still be spoon feeding us what the chamber of commerce tells them to say. And the fact is, our Veterans deserve better than what our current "leaders" are providing them.

Last edited:
The rhetoric seemed to indicate. If not, then my apologies; I realize those are fighting words. :)

If not for Trump no one would be discussing illegal immigration nor our veterans. The current presidential candidates would still be spoon feeding us what the chamber of commerce tells them to say. And the fact is, our Veterans deserve better than what our current "leaders" are providing them.
well trump cant have it both ways...piss down the back of a US Senator POW war veteran and then say...well, i only meant that about YOU, McCain.

as for immigration, we can't build a wall around america a la Pat Buchanan. america is a land of immigrants

well trump cant have it both ways...piss down the back of a US Senator POW war veteran and then say...well, i only meant that about YOU, McCain.

as for immigration, we can't build a wall around america a la Pat Buchanan. america is a land of immigrants

Sure we can. Build it high and wide, we already have some. And no, we aren't a nation of immigrants, we're a nation of citizens, and as citizens we have elected ppl to write and enforce the law. 100% of illegals are criminals. Cut them off from all goods and services, employement and they'll self deport. They DGAS about being an American, the only care about the goodies America provides.

Don't post disparaging remarks about the man leading in the polls and not expect a little push back from someone. As far as what Trump said, we've all said things that didn't come out right. 57 states. Corpseman. Intercontinental Railroad. etc. etc etc.

Sure we can. Build it high and wide, we already have some. And no, we aren't a nation of immigrants, we're a nation of citizens, and as citizens we have elected ppl to write and enforce the law. 100% of illegals are criminals. Cut them off from all goods and services, employement and they'll self deport. They DGAS about being an American, the only care about the goodies America provides.
i big ol fence just isn't going to work, btw...never has, and never will. ask the french

Don't post disparaging remarks about the man leading in the polls and not expect a little push back from someone. As far as what Trump said, we've all said things that didn't come out right. 57 states. Corpseman. Intercontinental Railroad. etc. etc etc.
a 'little' pushback would be OK...calling the guy out and all POWs out for disrespect is quite another. the guy is a clown act with a combover

Somebody tell me why I should care about this Trump-McCain spat. McCain started it by saying all Trump supporters were crazy. Is he saying that anyone that wants to secure the border is crazy? I think it is only common sense to want a sovereign country. As for Trump’s comments, does anyone really believe that Trump doesn’t respect our vets and the military?

I think McCain deserves respect for his military service but not for his Senatorial career. McCain has always taken liberal positions which imo hurt Repubs and the cons cause. McCain has always been an open borders advocate. He won’t stand up to La Raza nor does he care about massive importation of illegal immigrants in an effort to change the ethnic balance of this country?

McCain has swallowed the Climate Change propaganda hook link and sinker. He has said oil is a threat to our security. Huh?

A double layer fence that can be seen through would be effective. Border patrol agents must be able to see what is happening on the other side.
http://www.lawatchdog.com/UnderstandingBorderFences-2.html

hoff, i agree on the fence, plus the prez needs to let the border patrol do their job . i also read a report this morning that we are also bringing in more mooslim immigrants and spreading them around the country . we are asking for more trouble !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT