ADVERTISEMENT

ND- Ted Turner

Matthewrmccarty

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2017
Working on a project for the history channel... was wondering if any of you Could help me out with a great TED TURNER story... either personal or one you’ve heard or just admire or made u laugh....

duck hunting with Castro in the bay of pigs during the embargo is my fav at the moment...

thanks!!!

Contact the John Boy and Billy Big Show (radio) syndicated out of Charlotte. Ask for contact info on Terry Hanson. He has recently retired and returned to St. Louis. He used to work for Ted and told many good stories.

Working on a project for the history channel... was wondering if any of you Could help me out with a great TED TURNER story... either personal or one you’ve heard or just admire or made u laugh....

duck hunting with Castro in the bay of pigs during the embargo is my fav at the moment...

thanks!!!
I was leaving UGA and moving to North Atlanta for work. I was very much into sports photography at the time. The Braves were a mess and Ted had just purchased the team. I bought a $1.50 outfield general admission ticket and entered AFC Stadium early in the evening and crawled over barriers until I was literally behind the Braves dugout so I could take pictures. As game time approaches I’m thinking I may get away with sitting right where I’m sitting for the game. As I keep taking shots I feel someone slide into the seat beside me. I take a few more shots and then lower the camera and look to my left and it’s Ted. I kind of start making subtle moves to gather my belongings when he says, “I know these aren’t your seats ‘cause they’re mine. Are you a Braves fan? If so, tell me why we suck. I know nothing about baseball, but I know how to win.” We spoke for over 30 minutes as I gave my humble thoughts on the current personnel and coaches. He thanked me and then said he had Stan Kastan coming down so I had to leave. The thing I’ll always remember is his listening skills and follow up questions. He genuinely was interested and wanted a fan’s perspective. I had total respect for the man after that although politically we were very different. I knew the Braves had an owner who would do every to make his team and town a winner. And, he did.

I was leaving UGA and moving to North Atlanta for work. I was very much into sports photography at the time. The Braves were a mess and Ted had just purchased the team. I bought a $1.50 outfield general admission ticket and entered AFC Stadium early in the evening and crawled over barriers until I was literally behind the Braves dugout so I could take pictures. As game time approaches I’m thinking I may get away with sitting right where I’m sitting for the game. As I keep taking shots I feel someone slide into the seat beside me. I take a few more shots and then lower the camera and look to my left and it’s Ted. I kind of start making subtle moves to gather my belongings when he says, “I know these aren’t your seats ‘cause they’re mine. Are you a Braves fan? If so, tell me why we suck. I know nothing about baseball, but I know how to win.” We spoke for over 30 minutes as I gave my humble thoughts on the current personnel and coaches. He thanked me and then said he had Stan Kastan coming down so I had to leave. The thing I’ll always remember is his listening skills and follow up questions. He genuinely was interested and wanted a fan’s perspective. I had total respect for the man after that although politically we were very different. I knew the Braves had an owner who would do every to make his team and town a winner. And, he did.
Thanks

His dad killed himself and he inherited his billboard business.. he leveraged himself to the hilt to buy a failing UHF station and basically invented cable tv... but yeah, he did have something to gamble with
But not a lot. He asked people in Charlotte to give him a dollar to go towards buying a satellite and he’d pay them back with interest. He did and paid them back $1.13 after he started Channel 17. I loved when he put Channel 17 on Andy Messersmith’s jersey. Every time Andy through a pitch you saw Channel 17.

thanks!!!
I know he has tinnitus.

thanks!!!
When I went to McCallie in Chattanooga I dated a girl who had an older sister that dated his son,Teddy. He graduated the year before I enrolled. They told me that the only thing his father gave him while he was at McCallie was a sailboat. No car,extra money,no toys etc. Everyone in the class had more stuff,things etc. If you didn't know who he was you would think he was from an impoverished family. Looks like he turned out just fine

I didn’t know that... btw, all u guys trying to make this political, save it, I could care less about his or your politics, just interested in crazy stories about what a lunatic he was... I asked for your help not a lecture
Didn’t mean it as a rebuke to you, and didn’t know it myself till a few days ago. Always liked him myself.

I remember when he named himself manager of the Braves. It lasted one game and MLB told him he wasn’t allowed to do that. Also having pitcher Andy Messerschmidt wear Channel instead of his last name on his jersey. He was #17.

Reactions: BlackbearDawg
I think I read that after his split from Jane that he had like 4 or 5 different women on his "payroll" lol.
He has lived a full life as well as contributed greatly to the city and state.

Reactions: wooly_bugger
Anyone know what happens to his land after his death? I imagine it’s all in trusts but I wonder if it’s protected in perpetuity or will be sold and developed like everything else in this country.

Anyone know what happens to his land after his death? I imagine it’s all in trusts but I wonder if it’s protected in perpetuity or will be sold and developed like everything else in this country.
No idea but I would wager that is stays in some type of protected trust. I would guess that Rutherford Seydel and his wife Teds daughter would have a huge hand in overseeing it.

Would be interested in hearing what if anyone knows for sure

Reactions: George Hayduke
I spent a ton of time in Southwest Montana as a kid. All the locals and our family out there joked he owned all the land between Harrison and West Yellowstone down 287 in front of the mountain range. Millions of acres.

Not quite hunting with Castro, but when I hear Ted Turner I think of that part of Montana.

I spent a ton of time in Southwest Montana as a kid. All the locals and our family out there joked he owned all the land between Harrison and West Yellowstone down 287 in front of the mountain range. Millions of acres.

Not quite hunting with Castro, but when I hear Ted Turner I think of that part of Montana.
Yeah I’ve driven through his ranch south of bozeman off of 191. You drive down a county road and get to a sign that says “next 12 miles private both sides of the road”. That is my life goal

I played pop warner with one of his son's. I recall Ted being at some games and being very nice to all of us 8 year olds when he was HotLanta's rock star.

A Georgia Giant for sure, hes a hoot and hes done a lot of great things for our state. An American Original.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawgDVM
Anyone that is an enemy to my country is an enemy of mine. F+++ him
btw, all u guys trying to make this political, save it, I could care less about his or your politics, just interested in crazy stories about what a lunatic he was... I asked for your help not a lecture

OP made one polite request, geez

I was told by someone in SWGA that managed a plantation that borders his that he liked to walk around butt-ass naked when he was there, and that there was a private airstrip that he flew his love interests in and out of on the plantation. Rumor was that one plane would clear the runway right as another was cleared to land.

Can’t verify but the guy who worked the plantation was the plantation manager for another CEO of a Fortune 500 who was good friends with Turner, so I imagine he had firsthand knowledge of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT