ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Scouts on McConkey, Bowers, Mims and SVP

Boom MFer Dawg

Kiss the Ring
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2015
These are excerpts from Bob McGinn’’s annual report.

LADD McCONKEY, Georgia (5-11 ½, 186, 4.43, 2): Redshirted in 2000 before starting 21 of 39 games from 2021-’23. “He’s very good,” one scout said. “He’s an easy evaluation. My only concern is can he stay healthy.” Missed five games last season with back and ankle injuries. “He’s the best route runner of the bunch,” a second scout said. “Precise, determined, tough, instinctive as hell. Really good hands. But he’s little, make no mistake about it.” His short shuttle of 3.97 was the best among wideouts. “Hunter Renfrow-type,” said a third scout. “He’s a slot. Quick, good hands, doesn’t make big plays. Now he’s been hurt — a lot.” Finished with 119 receptions for 1,687 (14.2) and 14 TDs. “I didn’t realize he was as fast as he was,” said a fourth scout. “That kid can flat-ass run. He’s got all the skills. He’ll be a starter in the slot. He’ll be like those New England guys. He’s probably faster. This guy really has speed.” Exceptional student. “I’m a fan,” said a fifth scout. “That guy will be exactly where the (quarterback) tells him to be. Some of these other guys, you don’t know what they’re going to do.” From Chatsworth, Ga.

BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game. And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that. Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat. He’d turn up, break the tackle and go for 18 more yards. (Fit) will be a real key to his success.” A second scout equated Bowers’ work after the catch to Harrison’s. “If he catches it on the run, he’s a mother------,” he said. “If the dude from Iowa (Sam LaPorta) can do what he did this year there’s no reason Brock can’t do that or even more. Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’ Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.

Bonus:

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama: A 39-game starter, he led the SEC in yards per reception (20.5) last year as a legitimate deep threat. As a talent, Burton (6-0, 202, 4.42) should be a Day 2 selection. Instead, he’s off at least two teams’ boards for various character-related issues and could face an agonizing drop in the draft.

AMARIUS MIMS, Georgia (6-7 ½, 344, 5.08, 1): Classic boom or bust. “You might have a first team All-Pro in three years or the tackle from Georgia (Isaiah Wilson, No. 29 overall pick, 2020) that Tennessee took that never stepped on the field,” one scout said. “Four years from now, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s the best of the whole group. His talent is stupid. Talent-wise, he’s the second best behind Latham. But I don’t know the depth of the makeup.” From tiny Cochran, Ga. “He’s a little bit squirrely but somebody’s taking a shot on the guy,” a second scout said. “He may be the biggest bust. He’s so f--king talented but there are so many (questions). He’s only started how many games? That ain’t very many. That scares the f--k out of me.” Played nine games as a true freshman backup in 2021 and promptly entered the transfer portal. Removed his name after 10 days, started two games at RT in ’22 and then six in ’23 before suffering an season-ending ankle injury. “Here’s the enigma of the draft for me,” a third scout said. “How much trust can you have in him? Mekhi (Becton) definitely had more experience and was definitely more polished and had more power and finish. He was playing left tackle in college. I would have Mekhi higher than him.” Arms were 36 1/8, hands a position-largest 11 1/4. “Mims is absurd, the talent that he has,” said a fourth scout. “But you’re kind of throwing the dice. Really neat kid. Nice, friendly, well-spoken, intelligent. You could really hit on this guy.”

SEDRICK VAN PRAN-GRANGER, Georgia (6-4, 301, 5.19, 4): Started 44 straight games as a two-time national champion and two-time captain. “He played a long time; you can’t overlook those guys,” one scout said. “Smart as shit and he’s a great kid. He could be a starter.” Didn’t run well and his arms measured 31 3/8, the shortest of the top 12 centers. “Loved his wiring and makeup, his size, his strength,” a second scout said. “Foot speed and overall athletic ability have some limitations. He’s a little tight in the hips and gets off balance at times. His arm length caused a little bit of (concern) just being matched up in pass pro. I think he’s gonna start in Year 1. His makeup is true starter. He’s a leader. He’s exactly what you want in a profile for the position.” Hands were 9 ½. “His time shocked me,” said a fourth scout. “I thought he’d be at least a 5-flat guy. He’s not a real physical player but, boy, is he quick and can get to the second level and block downfield. He needs to get stronger and be more physical.” From New Orleans.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News