ADVERTISEMENT

ANALYSIS Overhyped/Underhyped for the Dawgs

dayneyoung

Aug 29, 2018
All the preseason lists are being published and we are seeing the national perspective of Georgia players.
Opinions vary, locally and nationally. But, I want to put together a Vent-only overhyped/underhyped analysis based on the articles I've read and discussions with people around the team.
This doesn't mean an overhyped player can't be good or an underhyped player is going to be at the Heisman ceremony. It's more of a temperature check. This boils down to my informed opinions. Other UGASports.com staffer have different takes.

Overhyped:
  • Jamon Dumas-Johnson: Caveat - Dumas-Johnson is a team leader. He is one of the primary voices for the 2023 team. That matters a ton and it is Dumas-Johnson's greatest differentiating asset. All indications point to him trying to play more consistently in 2023. It will be needed as Smael Mondon returns from injury. I look at the room of inside linebackers and see so much athletic talent that Dumas-Johnson will be required play with greater consistency to keep his reps from younger guys.

• Rara Thomas: This is one where I disagree with most of the UGASports staff. Thomas is talented, for sure. However, the late Mike Leach included him in WR critiques last season when he pondered if their children would be born with t-rex arms. Here is what I know: Thomas won't have more targets at Georgia than he did a pass-happy Mississippi State team. He will be asked to block more. He is also in a crowded room of experienced talent. Thomas is a good player and is capable of big moments for Georgia, but I don't see mass production.

• Quarterbacks: Sticking with my stance all offseason here: gotta see it first. Stetson Bennett was amazing last season. It's almost impossible for there not to be a step back in terms of QB production. I'm lowering expectations until I see otherwise.

• Tykee Smith: He was an All-American at West Virginia before arriving at UGA. He is in line to begin the season starting at Star. I suspect Joenel Aguero proves to be too explosive and takes that role this season.

Underhyped:

• Amarius Mims: The lane is there for Amarius Mims to be a top-10 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. These lists tend to include "Alabama offensive lineman XXX." Georgia should be in that spot and if you could design a tackle in a lab, it looks a lot like Mims.

• Ladd McConkey: He is one of the best players in America. He is fast, reliable, and tough. Championship teams have players like McConkey. He is one of Georgia's best five players.

• Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: Remember how much of Georgia's offense was routed through Darnell Washington's blocking? If Georgia puts more wide receivers on the field to be more of a speed/finesse team, that means Rosemy-Jacksaint, as Georgia's best blocking receiver, will be integral for good plays to become great plays. Receivers often shy away from the dirty work. Rosemy-Jacksaint never has.

• Branson Robinson: I know he is injured and will have a late start to his season. Still, I think Branson Robinson is Georgia's most gifted running back and the most likely candidate to help shut down a game in the fourth quarter and frustrate defenses. Need that Zamir White-style first down to keep the clock moving? Branson is the guy.

Budding stars:
  • Darris Smith: Offenses constantly try to create mismatches. Smith is a prototype to erase mismatches. He can run with skill players and defend the run on the edge.

• Jalon Walker: Inside, edge — doesn't matter. Jalon Walker and his range will be incredible for the core of Georgia's defense.

• Austin Blaske: Think how valuable the cross-trained, utility offensive lineman have been. Salyer, McClendon...and now Blaske is the most versatile lineman on Georgia's roster. He is much more than an insurance policy, though. He is SEC-ready now.

• Oscar Delp: Big second-half leads mean Bowers on the sideline and other tight ends getting high-quantity reps. Delp's offseason work will shine in these situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News