ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Puppy advice

There are other great breeds but for a large dog in a family of small children, I can’t imagine a better family dog than a Labrador Retriever. I can’t help you with a breeder but whatever breed you choose, educate yourself about the necessary health clearances for that breed and make sure your pup’s parents have the correct ones. For Labrador Retrievers that is hips, elbows, eyes, CNM and EIC. IMO hips, CNM and EIC are the most important. I can explain further if you like, but not right now. Also, if someone tries to sell you a Silver Lab, run to another breeder because that breeder is either a liar and a whore or an uneducated moron. There is no such thing as a Silver Lab. The Labrador Retriever Club of America says so and they are the authority.
I had a great silver lab. Looked exactly like a lab, acted exactly like a weim.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Disagree 100% They are one breed where if they have a bad day someone or something might die. I know they can be great 99% of the time. It's the 1% that gets you sued
You have no clue as to what you’re talking about. It’s people like you who perpetuate this myth.

We had to put my 10-year-old bulldog down in December due to heart failure.

I was devastated, and swore it’d be a long time before we got another dog.

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn arrives.

Like I said, I had a bulldog before, but my girls are 7 and 5 and want a bit more active companion.

Any advice on breeds to target, or good places to get a pup? I’ve always tended towards larger breeds, so I was thinking perhaps a German Shepherd or Doberman, but am looking forward to hearing any thoughts on the topic.
Standard Poodle. Hyper allergenic and easy to train. I have kids similar in age and they eventually wore me down as well. Love this breed so much thinking about getting a second.

Most likely a Lab / Weim mix since silver doesn’t occur in purebred Labs. Doesn’t mean they can’t be good dogs but they are not Labs and should not be registered as such. Not mad at you, mad at the breeders.
I agree. The breeder told us they basically bred in a weim 3 generations ago and just continue to breed offspring with labs to weasel out the weim traits as much as possible. He was interesting, had a streak of long course hair like a ridgeback that was long like a lab, rest of him could fool anyone that he was a lab.

Reading this thread. Everybody loves their dogs regardless of the breed, which is great. I've had a Black Lab and just had to put-down our Wheaten Terrier. Still emotional about it.

I'm all aboard the hypoallergenic dog train. Why deal with a dog hair all over your house, if you don't have to? Why risk that your newborn is allergic to dogs? Plenty of great options, big or small. Bernadoodles, Aussiedoodles, Labradoodles, and Portuguese Water Dogs all can get very large (50 - 80 lbs). Our Wheaten was 34 pounds, which is a great size for our family.
Had a Wheaton as well but he had horrible allergies. The irony was we got him for us to avoid allergies. We moved on to a Bernedoodle. Love this one so much we got another one. Smart, loyal, fun.... fetch machines

Golden retrievers are the best family dog if you can handle the shedding. If the dog is gonna be an indoor dog get a goldendoodle. We have had two and they are the best.

Reactions: cvarhol
Call

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn arrives.

Like I said, I had a bulldog before, but my girls are 7 and 5 and want a bit more active companion.

Any advice on breeds to target, or good places to get a pup? I’ve always tended towards larger breeds, so I was thinking perhaps a German Shepherd or Doberman, but am looking forward to hearing any thoughts on the topic.

1. Decide on a couple/three breeds you think your family would like.
2. Call the Columbus Kennel Club - 334-392-0129 or columbuskennel@gmail.com
They have people that know dog breeds in and out and usually love to share info on breed, pros/cons, plus GOOD local breeders. Plus, you can likely get help training it there if desired.
3. Once settled on your breed...call or email that breeds National AKC Club. Ask questions on breeders, etc.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: rectomo

I would suggest an English Springer Spaniel. They are great with kids and will be as active as you make them. I had them through 4 kids and now 9 grandkids. They are a great family pet.

Reactions: Coneloc
Poodles used to be rated as the smartest dog, a title they held with no real competition for decades. Then the Border Collie got recognized as it's own breed about 20 years or so ago (the delay was because this breed did not have established colors and markings for a long time because they were bred for intelligence and work instead of appearance).

Once listed as a defined breed the border collie shot up to number one on dog intelligence lists, and it's not close. Any lists of the most intelligent dogs comprised over the last 10 years will have BCs number one and poodles number two. Numbers 3 through 10 will vary with mostly the same dogs in different orders.

BCs have been known to learn up over 3,000 nouns and over 300 phrases. No other dog can do half that.
I don't know, I would put my Aussie up against them. They are cousins I guess.

Lab
Husky
golden retriever

If you decide to go the Lab/Retriever route, a buddy of mine that sells high dollar hunting dogs gave me some advice recently when we got a puppy(not hunting quality, just a pet). British Labs have a puppy phase of about a year, vs the 5 years with other breeds. Little more laid back for a family setting. Typically plenty to choose from on GON.

Reactions: NC_K9
Most likely a Lab / Weim mix since silver doesn’t occur in purebred Labs. Doesn’t mean they can’t be good dogs but they are not Labs and should not be registered as such. Not mad at you, mad at the breeders.
Designer dogs are the rage these days, especially anything "doodle". What I find interesting is the guy who first bred a doodle regrets it:

Labradoodle creator says it's his 'life's regret' - BBC News

I just heard about a "Berlumber" the other day - yep, some idiot was breeding Bernese Mountain Dogs and Clumber Spaniels and selling them for...wait for it...$8000.00 each. WTF.

This is not unusual. Doodle varieties are selling for more than the pure bred dogs they derived from. Absolutely insane.

Reactions: rednblack4life
There are English field lines too but I’m generally unimpressed. They are pushed heavily by some real hucksters (very effective hucksters) as “the gentleman’s gun dog.” What a load of crap.

I have an English lab and another with an English father and field mother. Neither are hunt trained. They are companion dogs. When out and about in nature doing things, the one with half field breeding runs and jumps and leaps like a gazelle with more speed and ease than the full English.

Yup all Dogs need some purpose or Regular exercise. I never understood people who get high energy working breeds then think the dog is bad for always wanting to play or be active... My pup needs his morning and evening Fetch or he loses his mind. The Gf also has horses at the barn so he is always running around the farm playing with the goats and horses daily. I also make sure he swims once a week as it's the best exercise for him IMO.

My two labs need exercise and they are joyously excited when it involves me kicking the #3 soccer ball and them bringing it back to me a thousand times. I mix this fetch exercise with walking, swimming, and dog day care. But they need something every single day.

If you decide to go the Lab/Retriever route, a buddy of mine that sells high dollar hunting dogs gave me some advice recently when we got a puppy(not hunting quality, just a pet). British Labs have a puppy phase of about a year, vs the 5 years with other breeds. Little more laid back for a family setting. Typically plenty to choose from on GON.

My full English chewed on the house for about a year and then stopped. He is now fully trustworthy to be left in the house when I go out. My other one with field breeding is now two years old and when I go out, she either comes with me or I put her in her kennel / crate. If I leave her out to her own devices, she will destroy something. She is a perfect angel otherwise.

Reactions: Bulldog Savant
You have no clue as to what you’re talking about. It’s people like you who perpetuate this myth.

K I will give you a VERY recent example. Couple that we are very close to had their 3 year old granddaughter bit in the face by their daughters in laws Pitbull. That Pitbull was treated VERY well it's entire life. My friends begged their daughter's in-laws to get rid of Pitbull or not have their granddaughter around it anymore. They refused. Said that it was out of character for their Pitbull to bite anyone. They said he was never ever like this before. Would never happen again. Granddaughter was bit in the face this week requiring many stiches. Pitbull was then shot by in-laws. They are dangerous. Much more so than any other breed.

My two labs need exercise and they are joyously excited when it involves me kicking the #3 soccer ball and them bringing it back to me a thousand times. I mix this fetch exercise with walking, swimming, and dog day care. But they need something every single day.
Yup anything with Retrieving my Pup is allll for it. I take him out on the farm and he loves to search and retrieve, so I've trained him to sit facing away from the field and ill throw a toy that he has a good scent for and then i give him Que to go and he'll search the whole field find the toy bring it back but the aspect of searching brings him so joy. I don't hunt with him as I don't get to do as much hunting down here in Soflo as I do get to fish, but I know he would of made a great field dog.

Reactions: Savannah_Dawg
Yup anything with Retrieving my Pup is allll for it. I take him out on the farm and he loves to search and retrieve, so I've trained him to sit facing away from the field and ill throw a toy that he has a good scent for and then i give him Que to go and he'll search the whole field find the toy bring it back but the aspect of searching brings him so joy. I don't hunt with him as I don't get to do as much hunting down here in Soflo as I do get to fish, but I know he would of made a great field dog.

Mine are two years old. I'm going to do nose work training so that I can hide things in my back yard for them to find.

Update: Wife says Golden Retriever is her preference. I am beginning the search for a male puppy.
Warning about goldens (which I dearly love) is that they will make matchsticks out of your house during their teething stage. Mine has literally eaten through sheet rock and the first three steps to our second level are about half chewed up. They need something in their mouths all the time during that stage.

Mine are two years old. I'm going to do nose work training so that I can hide things in my back yard for them to find.
They'll love it! There such intelligent dogs, a little patience goes along way. My boy is 2.5 and I've throughly enjoyed putting time in training him. I've always had family dogs, but he is my first dog I owned myself so I really tried to teach him things I never did with my past dogs.

Hard to beat a Lab around kids. My latest pup three weeks ago following a little play time in the swamp with our five year old grandson.

Hutty-and-Missy.jpg

We are on our 2nd Bull Mastiff. They are gentle giants and have a good protective instinct. I like them due to their activity level requirement being fairly low. A good 30 minute exercise period of walking will do them just fine. You have to be careful about where you get the dog from. If you see one advertised for 300 bucks run far away. Due to their power and size when grown, you have to have one with good temperament. The breeder I have gotten mine from is a Bull mastiff person to the core. Goes to shows with them, only has a litter every 2-3 years, is very selective in breeding. Only is trying to better the breed (health, temperament, standard). Doesn't do it for money. Is very selective in who she sells to and makes you sign a contract concerning the dog. A well bred Bull Mastiff is a DGD.

Do you have a lot of outdoor space? Some dogs need it for exercise. Where do you live?

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn

Weimaraner! Very unique dog that does some hilarious stuff. People label them “Velcro dogs” because they like to be rite by you(or on you). They are very active and need plenty of exercise. I have had my Weim for 7 years and she’s been the best dog ever. Wouldn’t harm a fly

Look at the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (WPG). Zoom in on my avatar, that’s Snoop Dawg.

great breed, playful, great with kids, can hunt, goofy personality, don’t shed much. Google the breed, they are a little rare.

K I will give you a VERY recent example. Couple that we are very close to had their 3 year old granddaughter bit in the face by their daughters in laws Pitbull. That Pitbull was treated VERY well it's entire life. My friends begged their daughter's in-laws to get rid of Pitbull or not have their granddaughter around it anymore. They refused. Said that it was out of character for their Pitbull to bite anyone. They said he was never ever like this before. Would never happen again. Granddaughter was bit in the face this week requiring many stiches. Pitbull was then shot by in-laws. They are dangerous. Much more so than any other breed.
You still don’t know what you’re talking about. You can find incidents with any and every breed. You know which breed is the worst for unprovoked bites by family pets. The chihuahua. 7 out of the top 10 are small or toy breeds. As of 2015, Pitties ranked 31st for unprovoked bites. I’m done here.

Springer spaniel . The best dogs
Yes...Springer Spaniel! Have had one in my family for 40 years. Mid size, around 50lbs, smart, loyal, sweet, active, and great with kids.
Great breeder named White Farms Springers I believe, in Georgia.
We lost our “Glory” to ole Georgia last Jump. Took in a re-home Springer a couple of weeks ago. She is awesome, easiest dog we have every had.

• Love
Reactions: AgentMuschamp
You still don’t know what you’re talking about. You can find incidents with any and every breed. You know which breed is the worst for unprovoked bites by family pets. The chihuahua. 7 out of the top 10 are small or toy breeds. As of 2015, Pitties ranked 31st for unprovoked bites. I’m done here.

Now do human fatalities by breed. Yeah you are done

Now do human fatalities by breed. Yeah you are done

I'll do human fatalities. Pit bulls account for 66% of dog bite fatalities in the U.S. despite making up 6.5% of the dog population in the U.S. Study was over many years. Rottweilers and German Sheppards also stand out. It boggles my mind how otherwise intelligent people cannot fathom the idea that their adorable, loving, playful companion is also an unpredictable and sudden potential killer.

Boxers are great dogs and good with kids.

Black Lab/Border Collie mix here. We had a black lab prior. Lab/Collie mix is a combination of smarts , energy, without the full size of a Labrador Retriever. Incredibly smart dog. Teach it once, maybe twice and you won’t have to ever again. Great protector of our family as well.

Reactions: SavannahDawg91
There are other great breeds but for a large dog in a family of small children, I can’t imagine a better family dog than a Labrador Retriever. I can’t help you with a breeder but whatever breed you choose, educate yourself about the necessary health clearances for that breed and make sure your pup’s parents have the correct ones. For Labrador Retrievers that is hips, elbows, eyes, CNM and EIC. IMO hips, CNM and EIC are the most important. I can explain further if you like, but not right now. Also, if someone tries to sell you a Silver Lab, run to another breeder because that breeder is either a liar and a whore or an uneducated moron. There is no such thing as a Silver Lab. The Labrador Retriever Club of America says so and they are the authority.
Labs are great dogs. My daughter trains Guide dogs and now has two guide dog drop outs due to minor health issues (they can’t have any health problem as guide dog). They are so sweet very smart and one high energy the other is a couch potato. I think one of hers is

Daughter has two labs. One is American lab much smaller more active. One English lab large dog a bit more of a couch potato. They are super sweet very smart dogs. I had a cavalier King Charles spaniel that I lost years ago but still miss every day. They are wonderful dogs but small. They are active and love to chase things like squirrels etc. They are prone to mitral valve disease so important to select a good breeder and make sure the parents are screened. Labs can have health issues too. Mutt dogs are less prone to genetic diseases and often are healthier. You could probably find a great friend at your local animal shelter. Best of luck with your upcoming adoption!!

Goldendoodles should be at the top of your list. Great with kids, they don’t shed, so no hair on the couch or floors ever.

My wife is a breeder and we are located in Cartersville.

www.Somedaydoodles.com or Somedaysomewayfarm on Facebook and IG.

Poodles used to be rated as the smartest dog, a title they held with no real competition for decades. Then the Border Collie got recognized as it's own breed about 20 years or so ago (the delay was because this breed did not have established colors and markings for a long time because they were bred for intelligence and work instead of appearance).

Once listed as a defined breed the border collie shot up to number one on dog intelligence lists, and it's not close. Any lists of the most intelligent dogs comprised over the last 10 years will have BCs number one and poodles number two. Numbers 3 through 10 will vary with mostly the same dogs in different orders.

BCs have been known to learn up over 3,000 nouns and over 300 phrases. No other dog can do half that.
Go to breed when I get one for my Daughter. The Wife had to of them and they are extremely intelligent! One was very aggressive and protective that had her Father's personality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT