ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Puppy advice

Sounds like a lack of training and exercise. If GSP's don't get those 2 things they can be a handful, but if you take the time with them they are the best dogs in the world.

This one is my wife's dog. I have raised and trained multiple dogs over my lifetime and thoroughly enjoyed the process with each of them. The GSP is worthless to me
[QUOTE="Savannah_Dawg, post: 542098
I can share a picture of my girlfriend’s goddaughter smiling on the couch with her grandfathers pitbull a week before it almost bit her face off. She’s 3.

By all means, use the hysteria as your data

However, when evaluating dog bite attacks by breed, a 2008 study compiled by The Coalition for Living Safely with Dogs looked at all dog bites occurring during the prior year. Their study concluded that dog attacks were most common with the following breeds:

• Labrador retrievers: 13.3%
  • Pit Bulls: 8.4%
  • German Shepherds: 7.8%
  • Rottweilers: 3.9%
  • Chows: 3.5%
[/QUOTE]

You are stating that Pits aren't dangerous because they are ONLY 2nd on this list? When you add in the fact that Labrador Retrievers are by far the most common breed of dog in the United States it makes sense that there would be more incidents since there are probably 4-5 times as many Labs kept as a pet than pit bulls.

Pit Bulls are more dangerous than almost any other breed because they are bred for fighting and the damage done when they are triggered is potentially much greater. If you trust your little kids around them that is fine but do not try to convey they breed as a safe and gentle animal for the entire population because you know a couple that are really sweet dogs.

This one is my wife's dog. I have raised and trained multiple dogs over my lifetime and thoroughly enjoyed the process with each of them. The GSP is worthless to me

Then I don't know where you went wrong with the training. Maybe you got a bad dog? Not sure...

We had to put my 10-year-old bulldog down in December due to heart failure.

I was devastated, and swore it’d be a long time before we got another dog.

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn arrives.

Like I said, I had a bulldog before, but my girls are 7 and 5 and want a bit more active companion.

Any advice on breeds to target, or good places to get a pup? I’ve always tended towards larger breeds, so I was thinking perhaps a German Shepherd or Doberman, but am looking forward to hearing any thoughts on the topic.

a Pug.
serious,
girls and pugs.

My wife and I have settled on German Shorthaired Pointers. We love the breed so much. We are on our 3rd now and about to buy number 4. Great with kids (our girls are 7 and 9) and tons of energy, which is the only caveat. They need daily exercise.
What breeder? We are looking at GSP puppies for early summer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT