Recruiting Roundup: 2 Commits, Dawgs Making Moves

Trent Smallwood

War Daddy
Staff
Aug 25, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
uga.rivals.com
Dawgs Add Two Commits

• Rivals100 offensive tackle E.J. Price pulled the trigger on his decision last Thursday evening, announcing that he will be a part of Georgia's 2016 offensive class.

The number four ranked tackle talked about his commitment shortly after practice wrapped up, and it's clear he was excited for the future.
"Oh yeah. You know, I'm always excited when I get out here to Athens," Price said. "I love the atmosphere, and I'm loving the new coaches. I'm proud to say that for the next four years I'll be committed to the University of Georgia."

Georgia looked to be a behind some schools for the four-star lineman before bringing in offensive coaches Rob Sale and Brian Schottenheimer. The tables turned when the Bulldogs brought this duo to Athens.

"Definitely. The new coaching staff, with Coach [Brian] Schottenheimer coming in, was a big change," Price responded. "Coach [Rob] Sale came in, and I know he's still kind of the new guy. We clicked off the rip. Mark Richt is an awesome head coach, and you don't have to worry about the program switching up too much. He has pretty good job security here, so I don't have to worry about the whole program changing or adjusting to anything. It was just a good fit. I got up here, and I was able to check out some of the practices. Everything was just feeling good. It felt like the right decision to me. It's not too far from home, so my parents and everyone will be able to get out here and visit me anytime. It felt like a good decision for me at the time, and Go Dawgs!"

With the commitment coming 10 months prior to National Signing Day 2016, how solid is the Archer standout?

"Like I said, I'm committed to UGA 100-percent. This is my school. This is my family right now," Price said. "I'm not going to shut off any schools. I'm still open, and I'm still going to take my officials. I'm still going to visit other schools, and see what they have to offer. It's going to be hard to compete with those Dawgs, so if a program is going to get me to flip, it's going to take a heck of a lot."

See More on Price commitment HERE

UGASports Recruiting Analyst Trent Smallwood's Take:
EJ Price relationship had been up and down with the prior offensive staff in Athens. When Schottenheimer and Sale arrived at Georgia, they made Price a priority. This is a huge get for the Georgia Bulldogs, and it adds another highly-ranked piece to the much improved offensive line recruiting. Price has the length, footwork, and punch to be a very good SEC left tackle. He has the versatility to play four OL positions but will likely do much of his work at the tackle position. With Ben Cleveland already on the commit list, Georgia is making a run at one of the top OL groups for the class of 2016.

• Barely 24 hours after four-star offensive lineman Malek Young made it No. 9 last Friday afternoon.

"I spoke to Coach (Thomas) Brown about 35 minutes ago," Young said in a telephone interview with UGASports.com. "He was pretty excited."

The fact that he committed to the Bulldogs wasn't that much of a surprise. Despite living in Coconut Creek, Fla., Young hails from the Savannah area and still has family there.

"I just felt welcomed to the team," Young said. "I felt like I was part of the family."

Young said head coach Mark Richt was also happy to get the news.

"I talked to Coach Richt today. They were very ecstatic about my commitment and they said they wanted me to come play for them. They also said they want me to play special teams, as well as defensive back for them."

See More on Young's Commitment HERE

Trent Smallwood's Take:
I spoke with Young back in the fall, and he made it no secret that the Georgia Bulldogs were his favorite. He is from Georgia, has always liked the Dawgs, and has felt at home throughout every visit he has made to Athens. Young has the speed and physical aspect to play the star position in the Jeremy Pruitt defense. I can see him causing a lot of damage in the zone blitzing scheme with his quickness and ability to hit. Defense is not his only strong suit though, as he is going to make an impact on special teams, as well. In 2015, Young returned 4 kickoffs for touchdowns and 3 punts for touchdowns. He has 4.4 speed and is slippery with the ball in his hands, making him a big weapon. _____________________________________________________________________

Georgia Making Moves at McEachern

• Class of 2017 wide receiver Tremayne Anchrum. With the news of Anchrum receiving a Bulldog offer on the visit, all four prospects now have the option of picking Georgia if they feel it is the best fit for them.

Could Georgia be lucky enough to sign all four in the next two classes?

"We've talked about going to the same school, but we haven't talked about a specific school where we would do that," Tyler Smith said. "We have talked about it though."

During practice, Smith kept his eye on how Bryan McClendon, who recently switched from running backs coach to wide receivers coach with the staff changes on offense, worked with his position group.

"I like how when they are doing drills he makes them keep going until they actually get the drill right," Smith said. "He doesn't just let them slide by. He's a great person. He tells me if I ever need anything recruiting-wise that he'll be straight up with me. He's not going to just tell me what I want to hear."

The other 2017 McEachern prospect Georgia is making moves with is Bailey Hockman. A member of the Rivals100 watch list and a four-star prospect, the sophomore signal caller says his relationship with Georgia's new offensive coordinator is one that's growing quickly thanks to Schottenheimer's straight-shooting style.

"I think (Schottenheimer's) a real personal guy," Hockman said. "He's a more personal quarterback coach. He'll talk to you and get to know you more than most guys would. It's pretty cool to have the quarterbacks coach be able to talk to you more as a person than a quarterback. He talks to you like a coach, but he's honest with you. He'll tell you, 'We really want you to play here' or 'We don't really need you'. He'll be honest with you and tell you what's real."

As for what the Georgia coaches are saying to Hockman, it seems to be much closer to the former than the latter, despite already having a commitment from the top rated quarterback of 2016, Jacob Eason.

"They're saying they want me pretty bad, which is a pretty good thing," Hockman said. "He just told me that if I come there, I'll have to compete, then we'll find out what happens from there. I think that I could compete with (Eason)."

Three of the four McEachern prospects came to the visit with an offer from the Georgia Bulldogs, the fourth left with an offer.

"I was having a conversation with Coach [Mark] Richt and he pulled me into his office to talk to him," Anchrum told UGASports. "We were talking about our personal lives and things like that and then he said, "We want to offer you a scholarship'. He said Coach [Rob] Sale is fired up about me, and they want me to get comfortable up there."

Anchrum has been watching Georgia over the years and likes what he's seen out of Richt's program.

"I really like Georgia football," Anchrum said. "They are consistently a top 25 team. I feel like they have had shots where they could have been in the top five, but just need that little edge. I like Mark Richt. He's a real family-oriented guy, but he's hard on you, too."

Julian Rochester recently raved about his teammate during an interview with UGASports.

"Tremayne Anchrum, to me, has to be the best left tackle in the state as far as footwork," Rochester said. "He is not the biggest guy in the world, but you can't beat him around the corner, and you can't beat him inside. He is really going to turn it out in these camps because he has been putting in so much work. I work out with him ten days a week, if you could say there are 10 days a week. That's how much we work out together. He is just the hardest and dependent. He just works his ass off. It's fun because, I mean, I am bigger than him, so I've usually got to use my strength. I can't beat him around the edge, so it gets kind of fun. He gets mad when I out-strength him. I get mad when he just sets me and doesn't let me off the edge, so it's just really fun, and we go at it all the time. It makes both of us better. He is blocking bigger dudes now, and I am getting faster off the edge against little dudes now, so it's really helping us out."

More on Tyler Smith HERE

• Class of 2016 prospect Jaleel Laguins may be local to Athens, but the three-star linebacker is receiving attention well outside of the Georgia Bulldogs.

We caught up with Laguins on Friday morning to discuss his recent trip to Nebraska and how things are shaping up for him on the recruiting trail heading into the summer.
After multiple visits to Athens, this past one was different for the Oconee prospect.

"Other times I've been, I've been stuck up in the coaches faces," Laguins said. "This time, I got to stay back and really learn for myself. I hung out the sidelines and watched how they practice, see how they get after it, and see how coaches coach. It was really a nice learning experience."

There is one coach that he has built a strong relationship with.

"Coach Ek [Mike Ekeler], by far. Coach Ek is my man," Laguins responded. "Every time I see him, we always have to have something going on. I talked to him last night when I got home, and I can see myself talking to him again today. Coach Ek is a really nice man."

Another visit for Laguins to Georgia will happen today, and there is one prospect he plans to talk with.

"I want to go up there and meet Jacob [Eason]," Laguins replied. "I want to see what all the buzz is about and what else their practice is. I got there a little late [other day], so I didn't get to see the full practice, so I want to go up there during a team meeting and meet Jacob and watch how they do a full practice."

More on Jaleel Laguins HERE

• New Jersey may not be considered fertile recruiting ground for schools in the south but being the No. 1 player at your position in the nation opens a lot of doors.

Friday found the New Jersey native in Athens, a visit whereupon he spent time with fellow five-star defensive tackle Derrick Brown, but the focus on his mother by the Bulldog staff stood out the most.

"As soon as I walked inside the building, there was a lot of love, and you felt the energy that they have," Gary said. "I went there with my mom, and they gave her love. That was key. Basically, it's been their whole defensive from there talking to me. They've said that they love me, so that was good. They're also thinking defensive end or defensive tackle, and I can definitely do both because of the scheme I play in. When I was there, I sat down with the whole defensive staff. We talked with academics, explored the campus, saw the dorms. We got around the facilities, talked to strength and conditioning people, and I was able to get a feel for the whole staff that they have."

Georgia continued to pitch their defensive flexibility and willingness to look beyond a particular scheme, and the 6-foot-4, 290 pound lineman feels he can fit wherever teams see the need.

"As far as what position I play, that doesn't matter, because I can play it all," Gary said. "Any scheme a college wants to put me in, I feel I can fit in and be best for it. Basically, I want to fit into any defense they run and get ready for the next level. I can do it all. We run 3-4, 4-3, and I play defensive tackle, nose, and, even sometimes, outside linebacker, so I feel that any college I go to I'm ready, because I've played those positions."

More on Rashan Gary HERE

• Peachtree Ridge defensive back Georgia Bulldogs in the last month.

The 5-foot-11, 169-pound junior admitted not much changes from visit to visit except for his feelings towards Georgia.

"Honestly it's pretty much the same thing," Clay responded in regard to what he saw on the visit. "I love it more and more every time I go up there."

The main focus on his visits now is watching how defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt coaches his current defensive backs on campus.

"He's intense. His desire for everything is to be perfect," Clay said. "He doesn't let anyone slack off. From the top guy to the bottom guy he coaches all of them as hard as he can."

Chad Clay will visit Georgia today making his 4th trip to Athens over the last 6 weeks.

More on Chad Clay HERE

• Clinton High (Miss.) defensive back Ole Miss, but the 6-foot, 178-pound prospect is looking for more options as well.

Thomas took in the University of Georgia this past weekend, and it was a visit that caught his attention.

"It was nice, and it really felt right at home," Thomas said. " I got a chance to build a good connection with coaches. People up there were great, as well."

The three-star Magnolia State defensive back has four offers so far. The Georgia coaches didn't extend an offer to Thomas on his visit, but if they do in the future, it could end his process.

"I can tell they were interested," Thomas responded. "I was hoping one would be given because I do like it there, and there's a good possibility of me going [to Georgia]."

More on Lamarques Thomas HERE
__________________________________________________________________________________

Underclassman liking the Bulldogs

• A number of talented football prospects have made their way to Athens the past few weeks and several of them have walked away with offers from Shawn Smith was one of those prospects that visited and received some good news from the Top Dawg before leaving.

"Mark Richt called me into his office and he was just talking to me and then he said he wanted to offer me a scholarship," Smith said. "He told me to keep my grades up and stay focused."

It was a typical visit for Smith, as he saw what the University of Georgia had to offer.

"I took a tour around the campus and then I watched them practice and then obviously talked to Coach Richt," Smith said. "The practice was pretty good. They look like they will be pretty good this year. Isaiah McKenzie looked really slick."
More on Shawn Smith HERE

• If you don't know 2017 cornerback William Poole, now is a good time to become familiar.

The 6-foot tall prospect from Atlanta's Hapeville Charter School pulled in defensive back MVP honors at Rivals Camp Atlanta, and on Tuesday, he took in a visit to Athens to see Bulldog spring practice.

"It was very good," Poole said. "They showed me a lot of love down there, especially with it being just the second time I've gone there. I got to see the spring practice, and I liked the way the coaches coach. I could see myself playing for them. I got to spend time with Coach Bryan McClendon, the wide receivers coach, and Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt. Basically, when I'm talking to them, they're treating me like I'm already a player for them. Really, they're trying to get me to commit. When they talk to me, that's really what they're trying to do."

With two years to go in the process, Poole says he's taking his time in terms of a commitment, but the Bulldogs have asserted themselves early on.

"As of right now, I'm waiting until it feels right," Poole said. "I've got a lot more time and some thinking, and, plus, I expect more offers to come. I still have a lot of choices to make, but I'll hopefully narrow it down in the middle of my upcoming fall season. Right now, it's Tennessee would also be in my top three."

More on William Poole HERE

Top Targets Headed to Athens

Tuesday Scrimmage Visitors:
QB- Jacob Eason
WR- Demetris Robertson
WR- Braylon Edwards (2017)
WR- Mecole Hardman
OL- Ben Cleveland
DL- Antwuan Jackson
LB- Jaleel Laguins
DB- Chad Clay
DB- Nigel Warrior
DB- Deangelo Gibbs (2017)
ATH- Owen Pappoe (2019)

Spring Game Visitors:

2016 Prospects

RB- Jaqua Daniels- Clarke Central

WR- Demetris Robertson- Savannah Christian

WR- Darion Anderson- Houston County

WR- Mecole Hardman- Elbert

OL- E.J. Price- Archer

OL- Ben Cleveland- Stephens County

OL- Aaron Dowdell- Creekside
OL- Sean Bailey- Lambert

DL- Derrick Brown- Lanier

DL- Julian Rochester- McEachern

DL- Antwuan Jackson- Cedar Grove

DL- Tyler Clark- Americus-Sumter
DL- Mykelle McDaniel- Grayson

DE/OLB- Chauncey Manac

DE/OLB- Jordan Smith

LB- Jaleel Laguins- Oconee

LB- Brendan Ferns

DB- Tyrique McGhee- Peach County

DB- Chad Clay- Peachtree Ridge

DB- Baylen Buchanan- Peachtree Ridge
DB- Marlon Character- Grady

DB- Khalil Ladler- IMG Academy (FL)

2017 Prospects

QB- Bailey Hockman- McEachern (2017)

WR- JT Cauthen- Cuthbertson (NC) (2017)

WR- Tyler Smith- McEachern (2017)

WR- Chandler Ellerbe- Stephenson (2017)
DL- Malik Herring- Mary Persons (2017)

LB- Jaden Hunter- Westlake High (2017)

LB- Leonard Warner- Brookwood (2017)

LB- Brian Strozier- Tucker (2017)

DB- William Poole- Hapeville Charter (2017)

DB- Leanthony Williams- Roswell (2017)
DB- Zay Brown- Clarke Central (2017)

2018 Prospects

QB- Trevor Lawrence- Cartersville
This post was edited on 4/7 1:32 PM by Trent Smallwood

Reactions: dfoster555
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News