ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Georgia Recruiting 3-2-1

Jake Reuse

Pillar of the DawgVent
Sep 26, 2013
Three Observations

You may not like Nolan Smith’s approach, but...

I think he’s sneakily one of Georgia’s best recruiters because of the headlines he generates every time he speaks. When you’re putting together the kind of SPARQ scores he did and garnering the national attention that a player of his ilk does, people are always going to listen to what you have to say. For Smith, that’s been a bit of a mixed bag for Georgia fans. He’s frequently spotted in gear from opposing schools, doesn’t mind giving a quote that creates speculation as to how solidly committed he is, and his April Fool’s ‘decommitment’ tweet probably didn’t win him any fans with the Georgia faithful. Admittedly, I was a bit off put by the approach initially, as he’s been so wishy-washy that it was hard to discern joke from reality on Sunday evening. After mulling over it a few days, I think it may be a brilliant strategy concocted by one of the savviest prospects we’ve dealt with in some time. Consider a few factors. First, Smith is far from a stranger to the recruiting game. He’s been fielding top level offers since his freshman year and spending time with top recruits at IMG. In addition to building his body and game, he’s also had a chance to observe how various recruiting tactics were received by those who’ve come before him in one of high school football’s most scrutinized settings. Secondly, regardless of what you think of his media presence, he’s worth all the hype and attention between the hash marks. At 6-foot-3, 234 pounds with 4.51-second speed and ridiculous power, Smith is as vital a recruit as Georgia has on the board for the class of 2019. He looks to be one of the nation’s most polished pass rushers in a system that has been searching for more ways to pressure quarterbacks since the staff’s arrival. Smith keeps Georgia on the big stage at all times, from the Opening, to the Army All-American Game, or anywhere else he happens to find someone asking questions. Yes, the controversy swirls, but he’s also been vocal about the guys he’s recruiting and how he sees the Bulldogs putting the pieces together this cycle. Smith’s recruitment may be the proverbial roller coaster ride until he signs his LOI, but that means thrills and some scary moments throughout. At the end, everyone normally gets off safely and dreams about the next time they can hop aboard for the rush. In the end, that’s how I see it playing out for Georgia and Smith, and if all goes smoothly, I think both will look at each other with a sigh of relief and a laugh.

Jadon Haselwood will bring a different dynamic to the wide receiver room in Athens.

I try not to speak in hyperbole, but Haselwood is as good of a wide receiver as I’ve seen in my five years covering recruiting. His body control and ability to high point the ball are so impressive, and though he may not be the fastest guy on the field, he’s easily one of the most difficult to cover. He’s a true 6-foot-3, and his hip swivel and head fake are deadly to cornerbacks or safeties who draw the unfortunate task of trying to stop him. Smooth and natural are a couple of other adjectives that come to mind. To contextualize him, imagine the athleticism of Jeremiah Holloman paired with the agility of Mecole Hardman and throw in better hands than both. High praise? Sure. He may have lost his seating at the top wideout in the nation in the last ranking, but he’s got the tools to take the spot back. If Smith is No. 1A on Georgia’s board for 2019, Haselwood must be No. 1B. He’s a critical need for Cortez Hankton.

I very much understand the hype around Kyle Hamilton.

Hamilton’s emergence and offer list surprised me initially, as he’s not drawn the attention of the Smith or Haselwood over the course of his high school career, but he made it clear on at the Opening he’s one of the Peach State’s best-kept secrets. This was my first opportunity to scout him in person, and the fluidity with which he moved his frame left me gawking. That’s to say nothing of how well filled out he is already. Georgia likes him as an enforcer on the backend of the defense, and it’s not hard to see why. This is not a guy you’d want coming at full bore to lay a hit on you. Expect him to rise above his current three-star rating and know that whoever lands him has a hell of an athlete, dare I say a potential star, on their hands. Not many guys have these tools at their disposal in the defensive backfield.

Two questions

Who would I put on the 2020 board now?

After seeing him work, I think recently crowned four-star wideout Javon Baker out of McEachern should be very high there. At 6-foot-1, he’s not the biggest guy on the field, but all Baker did at the Opening was make play after play. He adjusted routes to compensate for quarterback error, challenged and won for jump balls, and flashed impressive hands in both situations. Will it be the biggest need for the class? A game-changing receiver is always worth his weight, and this example should be no different. If he continues his progress, expect the recruitment of Baker to reach a fevered pitch by next spring at the very latest. He’s deserving of the attention, and the McEachern program knows how to put out talented players ready to make an impact. Other guys you need to track on your way-too-early radar include emerging stars such as Arik Gilbert, Max Johnson, Demarkcus Bowman, Zachary Evans, Broderick Jones, Tate Ratledge, Myles Murphy, and Zykevious Walker.

Why would the Dawgs back off Luke Griffin?

The easy answer is Griffin’s injury history, punctuated most notably by an ACL tear in each leg. For Georgia fans, he likely brings to mind sad memories of former projected offensive line star, Trinton Sturdivant, who saw his career in red and black flame out before it even really got off the ground. Still, the advances in both surgery, recovery, and rehab have moved well beyond the treatments Sturdivant was afforded during his collegiate career. That being the case, maybe Griffin hasn’t progressed as expected? Georgia coaches were the first to scout, the first to offer, and the ones who secured Griffin’s commitment almost two years ago. Since that time, it’s more than fair to say that the Georgia offensive line recruiting has become unrecognizable to prior seasons. Additionally, you haven’t seen a lot of questionable takes on the line, especially in hindsight. D’Marcus Hayes hasn’t panned out as hoped, but coaches were banking on his high-level JUCO experience preparing him for the fold. Meanwhile, the jury is still out on the likes of Isaiah Wilson and Netori Johnson. I don’t always lean toward the ‘trust the coaches’ mantra, but in this case, I’m very willing to give Sam Pittman the benefit of the doubt.

One prediction

Westover’s Jamie Pettway will end up getting his offer from Georgia.

I expect Pettway to make his way to Athens this summer and camp for the chance, but I have a sneaking suspicion part of what’s held the Bulldogs back in the initial period is the clear-cut ‘I’d likely commit to Georgia if they offer’ attitude that Pettway has made clear since the first time we spoke. Physically, I think he’s an excellent fit for the likes of Kirby Smart and Glenn Schumann, but a need for a closer evaluation on a guy who’s made no bones about his willingness to commit is incredibly important before extending the offer. It’s never a good look for a staff to have to turn down a player who simultaneously has an offer and is from the home state (see Luke Griffin above). That’s part of why I expect Georgia is doing due diligence, but I like Pettway’s game enough and the progress he’s made over the years enough to predict that he’ll get the offer he’s longed for and very likely will end up as a Georgia commit as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News