ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion THE UGASports Recruiting 3-2-1

Jake Reuse

Pillar of the DawgVent
Sep 26, 2013
This report brought to you by our friends at Aaron Overhead Doors

12 months of 0% financing is available to those who qualify

THREE OBSERVATIONS

1- Let’s do a quick review of the wide receiver recruiting board.

As Radi mentioned, I certainly don’t think we’ve heard the last of Marcus Burke in this cycle where Georgia is concerned. The Bulldogs were certainly in the mix for this one going into his commitment as it came down to Georgia and the Gators. I think familiarity played a big role here, but I expect you’ll see Georgia continue to push for his services. I’m not writing the Dawgs off by any means, as interest seemed to pick up heavily leading up to the decision.

Malcolm Johnson is a major target by the staff, given his speed, but from those I’ve spoken to, the impression I get is that Maryland may end up being the landing spot as of today. It appears there is some desire to stay close to home on his part. Still, Johnson is clearly in constant contact with Georgia, and I think if the Bulldogs had their druthers, he might be option 1A now.

Jayden Thomas will likely be in the mix until the end, but he doesn’t seem to be in much of a rush when it comes to making an announcement. Additionally, the opportunity to play baseball is something I expect will continue to be a major factor for him. Michigan seems to be selling that aspect of his recruitment the strongest. Meanwhile, Georgia doesn’t seem to be as in the mix in that consideration, but the in-state factor is strong and Cortez Hankton has kept contact consistently. Thomas wants to take visits before making a decision, so his ability to do so will be worth watching. If Georgia decides to ramp up pursuit, Thomas could easily be in the class.

We had a recent update with Deion Colzie, but this one feels like it could end up going in a number of directions right now. Sources I’ve spoken to feel believe he’s likely to stay in the south for his family, but I’ve heard a number of schools as real possibilities for his landing spot. Right now, it feels like he’s keeping his options open and Georgia is doing the same. I don’t think he’s off the board, but if other players decide to commit to UGA earlier, that could create a lack of spots for Colzie.

I think this group is your first choice, and given that Georgia may not spend heavily at the spot two recruiting cycles in a row, it would be a surprise to see them go outside of them, at least for now.

Side note - we get a lot of questions about Jaquez Smith when we do receiver reporting. I don’t see him as a guy on the radar right now based on the conversations I’ve had.

2 - Sounds like the Marlin Dean decommitment may have caught some folks off guard and rightfully so. Since it went down, I have not gotten the sense that this was a case where the Bulldogs “moved on." I don’t know who else I’d consider to be the frontrunners at this point (and honestly, it may be too early to say), but it feels like this is a kid who wanted to see what else was out there. Given his proximity, I like Georgia's chances in the end if the Bulldogs decide to keep the heat on Dean. For now, I expect they will, as there are some hints of that same ability and rawness that Jordan Davis brought to the table. Don’t be surprised if he ends up recommitted for 2021.

3 - While Georgia may not have moved on from Dean, this opportunity may open the door up for an even stronger push for Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins. Right now, it feels like the Bulldogs are THE team to beat for the four-star defensive lineman. The Tar Heels and Gamecocks are pushing hard, but I get the sense that if this were to go down to today, it would likely end up in favor of the Bulldogs. I know he’s a guy of immense size, which may have some thinking he’s an interior guide moving forward, but his footwork on the basketball court and ability to move could see Ingram-Dawkins playing as a three-technique at the next level. Surprising? Yes. Deadly? Yes.

TWO QUESTIONS

1 - Who’s on commitment watch now?
I’d look toward Brock Bowers first and foremost, as he’s now wrapped up his slate of visits. The four-star tight end has mentioned he’s looking to get a decision made before the season, and even with California moving sports to the spring, I still think that’ll end up being the case. As we’ve long maintained, Georgia continues to sit well here, and the fact that the Bulldogs have gone all in on this recruitment seems to bode in their favor. With his senior season now moved, look for the possibility of Bowers playing out of state this fall ahead of a December enrollment. He mentioned when we spoke in Athens that Nevada may be a potential landing spot for him, but I haven’t had a chance to catch up with him since the news dropped. Still, getting acclimated to being away from home should make the college transition easier if that’s the route he decides to take. Smael Mondon remains on your watchlist as well, although no one has a great feel on when he’s thinking about announcing anything final.

2 - Could the shutdown have changed the recruiting board at running back most of all? I think so. All indications point to the shutdown being a boost for Michigan where Donovan Edwards is concerned, and while that news may sting, the real question becomes who else do you need to watch for? We touched on this a couple of months back, in this article, but look for Amari Daniels to see his fair share of the attention moving forward. The ties to Miami are strong with the Bulldogs, he plays at the high school that produced James Cook, and he’s recently put Georgia among his top four options. With a decision coming in late August, he’s someone to brush up on now and keep a close eye on moving forward.

ONE PREDICTION

While he’s largely kept quiet since dropping his top five options, count me as predicting that Prince Kollie will be in the class before all is said and done. The Bulldogs need a splash at linebacker, especially as it seems that Barrett Carter will stick with Clemson despite the decommitment of his friend Jordan Hancock. While you may not think of a three-star prospect as that impressive, this is one where we have to trust the film and the effort the coaches have made. Oklahoma and LSU are going to present really strong competition, but it feels like the Bulldogs need him more than either in this class, even when/if Mondon commits. Kollie is similar to Carter, with sideline to sideline capability and the athleticism to be left alone to create his role in the middle of the defense, a la Roquan Smith. There’s no question in my mind that he’d be a guy we’d be discussing more frequently had there been a camp season and he wasn’t tucked away in east Tennessee. We’ve worked to keep Kollie on your radar, and I feel confident that will be justified in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News