ADVERTISEMENT

This brit summed up why a large portion of Trump voters

He nailed it. I’m surprised at how many in this country don’t see it.
The money behind Brexit cynically mined the same populist sentiment in the UK, convincing people that it was a fight for the little guy. Of course, it was never a fight for the common man and now that the reality of leaving the EU has set in, Brexit is deeply unpopular. In fact, it has played a huge role in the inflation issues the UK is dealing with.

Unsurprisingly. the guy with the gold toilets doesn’t care one iota about the common man. In fact, his contempt is very well established. He simply sees populism as the path to power and his second term populist policies (for example, his proposed 10% tariff on all imported goods) would absolutely spike inflation and hurt these disaffected middle Americans who believe he is their champion.

Last edited:
The money behind Brexit cynically mined the same populist sentiment in the UK, convincing people that it was a fight for the little guy. Of course, it was never a fight for the common man and now that the reality of leaving the EU has set in, Brexit is deeply unpopular. In fact, it has played a huge role in the inflation issues the UK is dealing with.

Unsurprisingly. the guy with the gold toilets doesn’t care one iota about the common man. In fact, his contempt is very well established. He simply sees populism as the path to power and his second term populist policies (for example, his proposed 10% tariff on all imported goods) would absolutely spike inflation and hurt these disaffected middle Americans who believe he is their champion.
We are in a very unique situation this election. We have 4 years of Trump track record as president & 3.5 years of a Biden presidency.

In terms of economics, cost of living, fuel prices, global stability, crime, threats of war entrance, active global hot wars, border security, quality of life....

I think I know which 4 year term I prefer. Weak leadership & terrible policy has consequences

What does restricting new oil and gas leasing on 13 million of Alaska petroleum reserve do??

We’ll never see 1.4% inflation again under the current guy.

Up until about a year ago, I used to take one class each semester on an online basis from Georgia Southern and College of Coastal Georgia. What this guy says about the disdain that the faculty shows for students who don't think like them is palpable. No criticism of transgenders, Muslims, etc. was permitted. if you dared to criticize people, you were labeled a fascist or worse.

If you can’t see the difference between the two presidents when you compare statistics then you are in complete denial. There is no comparison for the common man.

Biden has been an epic failure by every measure.

Last edited:
We are in a very unique situation this election. We have 4 years of Trump track record as president & 3.5 years of a Biden presidency.

In terms of economics, cost of living, fuel prices, global stability, crime, threats of war entrance, active global hot wars, border security, quality of life....

I think I know which 4 year term I prefer. Weak leadership & terrible policy has consequences
I know the GOP likes to pretend that 2020 wasn’t the last year of the Trump presidency, but it was.

And, the disruption of the global economic system was literally an economic black swan event that occurred after thirty years of optimizing the global supply chain for maximum efficiency, which unfortunately led to minimal resiliency when everything came to a screeching halt.

You have to compare the US to the rest of the developed world, and by that comparison we are doing fantastically well.

What does restricting new oil and gas leasing on 13 million of Alaska petroleum reserve do??

The US is currently producing more energy than any country in history, and, based on record profits, the industry has never been healthier. I don’t think energy policy is currently a huge issue for us.

I know the GOP likes to pretend that 2020 wasn’t the last year of the Trump presidency, but it was.

And, the disruption of the global economic system was literally an economic black swan event that occurred after thirty years of optimizing the global supply chain for maximum efficiency, which unfortunately led to minimal resiliency when everything came to a screeching halt.

You have to compare the US to the rest of the developed world, and by that comparison we are doing fantastically well.

The US is currently producing more energy than any country in history, and, based on record profits, the industry has never been healthier. I don’t think energy policy is currently a huge issue for us.
Oh yeah, the price of gasoline being twice the price is just for shits and giggles!

I'm not fan of the GOP either. I acknowledge 2020 was Trump's final year which is why I said 4 years of Trump. How he handled 2020 was imo his biggest failure. But the whole system was being manipulated against him as well. It was all self inflicted and our economy has suffered

Then you'll be relieved to know that's not Trump's actual stance on import tariffs.

Do you care to address the central point? I've posted his summary below for your convenience.

Ordinary people in their millions are looking at all this stuff. They're reading all this stuff. They're looking at Saturday Night Live and seeing the blind contempt that these lovies and these cultural figures have for them. They're looking at things that Biden says. They're looking at the border and this idea that who cares if the border is porous. Who cares if it's open? It doesn't matter.

They're looking at all this stuff and they're saying this is irrational. This is dangerous. The Establishment poses as the adults in the room, but actually they're insane. They have insane views on biology, on borders, on National Security, on climate on everything else and and on the economy they're looking at all this and saying the voice of reason has to come back in. They see themselves as the voice of reason, and I think they're right to see themselves as the voice of reason.

Last edited:
Then you'll be relieved to know that's not Trump's actual stance on import tariffs.

Do you care to address Gammon's central point? I've posted his summary below for your convenience.

Ordinary people in their millions are looking at all this stuff. They're reading all this stuff. They're looking at Saturday Night Live and seeing the blind contempt that these lovies and these cultural figures have for them. They're looking at things that Biden says. They're looking at the border and this idea that who cares if the border is porous. Who cares if it's open? It doesn't matter.

They're looking at all this stuff and they're saying this is irrational. This is dangerous. The Establishment poses as the adults in the room, but actually they're insane. They have insane views on biology, on borders, on National Security, on climate on everything else and and on the economy they're looking at all this and saying the voice of reason has to come back in. They see themselves as the voice of reason, and I think they're right to see themselves as the voice of reason.
I believe he has proposed a 10% tariff on all imports, unless he has changed his position.

My personal view is that much of the culture war is contrived and a response to positions that aren’t actual positions. The majority of Dems, including Dem leadership, do not believe that men can menstruate or have babies. They generally don’t believe in late term abortions unless it involves a threatening medical situation (the post birth abortions that some of the GOP likes to reference is literally a ridiculous scare tactic). Very few Dems believe that a fully open border, which is not Dem policy or what we currently have, is a good thing for the country. In fact, we just passed a defense aid package for Ukraine and Israel that should have included funding for the border, but Trump and team killed that one.

There are some cultural differences in this country, but they aren’t as pronounced as some would have us believe. Where they are real, they tend to involve people who would have the Bible be the sole determinant of our legal structure, and I’ll not apologize for fighting those efforts.

The price of gas sure took off in Biden’s first month…..so did everything else and we have yet to recover.

Biden declaring war on the petroleum industry and promoting electric cars was an epic failure. 1.4% was where it was when Trump left office…..the rest is history (Biden).

Coincidental!??….I think not.

Not gonna compare US economy with the rest of the world, because there is no comparison.

And yes, Trump dealt with Covid too. Numbers don’t lie and issues do matter.

2020 was destroyed by the Chinese virus pandamic which was blown way out of proportion! Trump had our nation on a very stable path leading into that time frame! Ordinary, normal people walked around looking like Jesse James getting ready to rob a bank! By the way, anyone still wearing a mask day to day is a dumbass.

The reason for the oil price was Biden’s stance against fossil fuels. OPEC is punishing him. For being a moron. Everything else is spin. Their effort to justify a means to an end. Total and utter bs. Proven by Biden’s trip over there to beg them to stop lowering production and decreasing supply. Raising the price per barrel. They smiled. Then as he left they cut production again promising to keep the price of oil as high as possible.

Your posts used to make sense using facts and logic. Now they don’t.

You’re like Karine Jean Pierre. Everything is great , don’t believe your lying eyes. Gas , groceries , energy bills , taxes , home and car insurance increased , but hey Exxon is making money so all is good!

In Q4, the US exported almost as much oil as Saudi Arabia produced in total.
Why? We are selling oil to the Chinese , meanwhile I paid $3.69 for regular unleaded yesterday.

Everything’s great ! Orange Man Bad! Jan 6th bad!

Meanwhile regular people are getting killed out here, credit card debt has never been higher and 401 k withdrawals have never been higher. But hey at least we are exporting oil! That’s great.

Your posts used to make sense using facts and logic. Now they don’t.

You’re like Karine Jean Pierre. Everything is great , don’t believe your lying eyes. Gas , groceries , energy bills , taxes , home and car insurance increased , but hey Exxon is making money so all is good!
Inflation can be good for some, I guess he could be one of the few.

Biden flat out lied about the wishes ot indigenous folks in Alaska. Claiming his executive orders reflected their wishes. It’s the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Dude has become unhinged .
Comparing the economic performance of Trump and Biden while ignoring the entirely unique and catastrophic year plus long global economic disruption is not just nonsense, it’s so obviously nonsense that anyone doing it either incapable of comparative analysis or disingenuously promoting an obviously biased argument.

I didn’t say everything was fantastic. I said that we are producing more energy than any other country in history, which is true, and that compared to the other developed economies we are doing quite well, which is also true.

The president impacts but certainly doesn’t control the economy. Do you think Biden sets gas prices? The average gas price in the US in 2019 was $2.60, and it’s now $3.60. A huge volume of domestic refinery capacity was lost during the pandemic and the war in Ukraine has also been a factor on global prices. Given those macro impacts, $3.60 does not look that bad and again, if you are pissed about pricing, maybe look to the companies making all time high profits as contributors to the problem.

Regardless, Trump took office with economic tailwinds and Biden took office during an unprecedented global shutdown. It’s two entirely different situations.

To the degree that Trump is bothering to talk about policy, two of the most consistent policies that he’s been promoting are a 10% tariff on all imports and rounding up and deporting 10m illegals. How do you think that is going to impact inflation and the economy? Agriculture? Construction? Both policies would be disastrous.

Biden flat out lied about the wishes indigenous folks in Alaska. Claiming his executive orders reflected their wishes. It’s the exact opposite.
Yep……something that you don’t hear a lot about, it’s sad for them too.

*Gas at the pump has basically doubled since Biden has been in office

*Inflation has more than doubled (less than 2% all 4 years/Trump)

*Biden is the worst President by far in US history on the border. It’s definitely a crisis, heard 11 million have already crossed today so far. No telling how many of that number haven’t been vetted.

MAGA people are considered racist by some. Just shake my head and point to the “scoreboard”. Attacks is all they have, issues be damned.

If the above makes people happy…..all I got to say is bless your heart & vote 4 Uncle Joe.

Last edited:
Comparing the economic performance of Trump and Biden while ignoring the entirely unique and catastrophic year plus long global economic disruption is not just nonsense, it’s so obviously nonsense that anyone doing it either incapable of comparative analysis or disingenuously promoting an obviously biased argument.

I didn’t say everything was fantastic. I said that we are producing more energy than any other country in history, which is true, and that compared to the other developed economies we are doing quite well, which is also true.

The president impacts but certainly doesn’t control the economy. Do you think Biden sets gas prices? The average gas price in the US in 2019 was $2.60, and it’s now $3.60. A huge volume of domestic refinery capacity was lost during the pandemic and the war in Ukraine has also been a factor on global prices. Given those macro impacts, $3.60 does not look that bad and again, if you are pissed about pricing, maybe look to the companies making all time high profits as contributors to the problem.

Regardless, Trump took office with economic tailwinds and Biden took office during an unprecedented global shutdown. It’s two entirely different situations.

To the degree that Trump is bothering to talk about policy, two of the most consistent policies that he’s been promoting are a 10% tariff on all imports and rounding up and deporting 10m illegals. How do you think that is going to impact inflation and the economy? Agriculture? Construction? Both policies would be disastrous.
The very first thing he did was shut down the pipeline even though they had all their permits. Secondly he made it where they couldn’t get anymore refineries. Enough of your nonsense!

I believe he has proposed a 10% tariff on all imports, unless he has changed his position.

My personal view is that much of the culture war is contrived and a response to positions that aren’t actual positions. The majority of Dems, including Dem leadership, do not believe that men can menstruate or have babies. They generally don’t believe in late term abortions unless it involves a threatening medical situation (the post birth abortions that some of the GOP likes to reference is literally a ridiculous scare tactic). Very few Dems believe that a fully open border, which is not Dem policy or what we currently have, is a good thing for the country. In fact, we just passed a defense aid package for Ukraine and Israel that should have included funding for the border, but Trump and team killed that one.

There are some cultural differences in this country, but they aren’t as pronounced as some would have us believe. Where they are real, they tend to involve people who would have the Bible be the sole determinant of our legal structure, and I’ll not apologize for fighting those efforts.
CNBC is conflating selected tariffs with all imports. Kinda like conflating illegal aliens with all immigrants and writing an article about it. Did you notice what was missing from the article? A direct quote from Trump. This is not surprising given the left wing orientation of all things NBC.

When Trump speaks on the topic, he talks about using tariffs strategically, not on all goods all the time. He has described steep tariffs on Chinese goods to force production to our allies like Mexico. He talks about using tariffs to discourage US companies from taking production capacity out of the country.

I would strongly suggest, again, that you consult some sources that don't agree with you, or at least present more than one point of view. I could take exception to every example you gave and turn this into a very long post. Things aren't nearly as black and white as news sources would have us believe.

The very first thing he did was shut down the pipeline even though they had all their permits. Secondly he made it where they couldn’t get anymore refineries. Enough of your nonsense!
The keystone pipeline was primarily for shipping Canadian oil sands product south to the Gulf of Mexico for export.

CNBC is conflating selected tariffs with all imports. Kinda like conflating illegal aliens with all immigrants and writing an article about it. Did you notice what was missing from the article? A direct quote from Trump. This is not surprising given the left wing orientation of all things NBC.

When Trump speaks on the topic, he talks about using tariffs strategically, not on all goods all the time. He has described steep tariffs on Chinese goods to force production to our allies like Mexico. He talks about using tariffs to discourage US companies from taking production capacity out of the country.

I would strongly suggest, again, that you consult some sources that don't agree with you, or at least present more than one point of view. I could take exception to every example you gave and turn this into a very long post. Things aren't nearly as black and white as news sources would have us believe.
While Trump gives himself a little wiggle room here, the message from his website is rather pointed in that he calls it a universal baseline tariff. The highlighted text below from his website was highlighted on the site, not by me.

Is this a good enough source?

“President Donald J. Trump announced his America First trade plan to replace the disastrous Biden system of punishing domestic producers and rewarding outsourcers with a new pro-America system of universal baseline tariffs on most foreign products that rewards domestic production while taxing foreign companies.”

That oil is then shipped offshore for refinement and brought back into the country where it is sold to us at inflated prices because of the transportation costs involved. Not to mention all the jobs that were lost when we shut down our refineries on the bogus ruse that we had to to save the planet. Those refineries we now ship our oil to are on the same planet ... right genius?

Reactions: Dawgfan1966
While Trump gives himself a little wiggle room here, the message from his website is rather pointed in that he calls it a universal baseline tariff. The highlighted text below from his website was highlighted on the site, not by me.

Is this a good enough source?

“President Donald J. Trump announced his America First trade plan to replace the disastrous Biden system of punishing domestic producers and rewarding outsourcers with a new pro-America system of universal baseline tariffs on most foreign products that rewards domestic production while taxing foreign companies.”

You should read the rest of the page. Also, please note that the 10% figure trumpeted by CNBC does not appear anywhere. The only mention of 10% is the 10% increase in the trade deficit with China under the Biden Administration.

Anyone concerned with forcing corporations to "pay their fair share" of taxes should be happier with a tariff program with targeted performance incentives. An across the board increase in federal tax rates only incentivizes tax avoidance and higher prices for the company's wares. Top line tariffs offer far less opportunity for manipulation and discourage offshoring.

If you read the discussion further down, you can see that import taxes would vary according to the trade practices of the importer and the exporting country - not a "one size fits all" tax. Trump understands how incentives work in the real world - a skill sorely lacking in Washington.

It is interesting to note that the Biden administration has left many parts of Trump's tariff program in place. In 2020 Candidate Biden told Jake Tapper that President Trump's United States-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement (USMCA) is "better than NAFTA," which Joe voted for in 1993. In 2018, Chuck Schumer said “as someone who voted against NAFTA and opposed it for many years, I knew it needed fixing. The president deserves praise for taking large steps to improve it.”

Last edited:
That oil is then shipped offshore for refinement and brought back into the country where it is sold to us at inflated prices because of the transportation costs involved. Not to mention all the jobs that were lost when we shut down our refineries on the bogus ruse that we had to to save the planet. Those refineries we now ship our oil to are on the same planet ... right genius?
You might want to research what led to the loss of refinery capacity in the US. The push for renewables played a minor role.

Remember April 20th, 2020? That’s the day the price of West Texas intermediate crude inverted and went to -$38.63 per barrel. That means producers had to pay buyers to take delivery because demand fell off a cliff due to Covid. Demand didn’t recover until the end of 2021.

So why did refineries close?

The U.S. lost a significant amount of refinery capacity after COVID-19 for several reasons:

1. **Demand Drop**: The pandemic caused unprecedented declines in demand for transportation fuels like gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel due to lockdowns and travel restrictions. This sudden drop made many refinery operations unprofitable.

2. **Economic Challenges**: Financial strains from reduced demand led to closures of refineries that were either older, less efficient, or both. Some of these refineries were already on the brink financially, and the added pressure from the pandemic pushed them into shutdowns or conversions to other types of production facilities.

3. **Shift to Renewable Energy**: There has been an increasing shift towards renewable energy sources and a drive for cleaner energy technologies. Some oil companies began transitioning their operations towards the production of biofuels or entirely different sectors, reducing traditional crude oil refining capacity.

4. **Structural Changes in the Oil Industry**: The oil industry has been undergoing structural changes with a focus on cost reduction and efficiency. The pandemic accelerated these changes, leading to consolidation in the sector and the shutdown of less competitive refineries.

5. **Supply Chain Disruptions**: The pandemic also caused disruptions in the supply chains, affecting the availability of crude oil and the operational logistics of refineries, further complicating the economic viability of maintaining full refining capacity.

But sure, it’s all Joe Biden’s fault. Thats a very simple view of a very complex dynamic.

You might want to research what led to the loss of refinery capacity in the US. The push for renewables played a minor role.

Remember April 20th, 2020? That’s the day the price of West Texas intermediate crude inverted and went to -$38.63 per barrel. That means producers had to pay buyers to take delivery because demand fell off a cliff due to Covid. Demand didn’t recover until the end of 2021.

So why did refineries close?

The U.S. lost a significant amount of refinery capacity after COVID-19 for several reasons:

1. **Demand Drop**: The pandemic caused unprecedented declines in demand for transportation fuels like gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel due to lockdowns and travel restrictions. This sudden drop made many refinery operations unprofitable.

2. **Economic Challenges**: Financial strains from reduced demand led to closures of refineries that were either older, less efficient, or both. Some of these refineries were already on the brink financially, and the added pressure from the pandemic pushed them into shutdowns or conversions to other types of production facilities.

3. **Shift to Renewable Energy**: There has been an increasing shift towards renewable energy sources and a drive for cleaner energy technologies. Some oil companies began transitioning their operations towards the production of biofuels or entirely different sectors, reducing traditional crude oil refining capacity.

4. **Structural Changes in the Oil Industry**: The oil industry has been undergoing structural changes with a focus on cost reduction and efficiency. The pandemic accelerated these changes, leading to consolidation in the sector and the shutdown of less competitive refineries.

5. **Supply Chain Disruptions**: The pandemic also caused disruptions in the supply chains, affecting the availability of crude oil and the operational logistics of refineries, further complicating the economic viability of maintaining full refining capacity.

But sure, it’s all Joe Biden’s fault. Thats a very simple view of a very complex dynamic.
Dude, the crash in oil in 2020 was due to Covid and it was short lived.

Please change your channel and read something other than Mother Jones.

Reactions: silverridge
You should read the rest of the page. Also, please note that the 10% figure trumpeted by CNBC does not appear anywhere. The only mention of 10% is the 10% increase in the trade deficit with China under the Biden Administration.

Anyone concerned with forcing corporations to "pay their fair share" of taxes should be happier with a tariff program with targeted performance incentives. An across the board increase in federal tax rates only incentivizes tax avoidance and higher prices for the company's wares. Top line tariffs offer far less opportunity for manipulation and discourage offshoring.

If you read the discussion further down, you can see that import taxes would vary according to the trade practices of the importer and the exporting country - not a "one size fits all" tax. Trump understands how incentives work in the real world - a skill sorely lacking in Washington.

It is interesting to note that the Biden administration has left many parts of Trump's tariff program in place. In 2020 Candidate Biden told Jake Tapper that President Trump's United States-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement (USMCA) is "better than NAFTA," which Joe voted for in 1993. In 2018, Chuck Schumer said “as someone who voted against NAFTA and opposed it for many years, I knew it needed fixing. The president deserves praise for taking large steps to improve it.”
Analysis of Trump’s past protectionist trade policies detail the negative impacts, and he has pledged to be even more agressive in a second term.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT