ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Way ND: Who is the most overrated musical artist of all time?

This thread

tenor.gif

Perfect

Soundgarden and Nirvana are generally viewed as the first bands to take grunge into the mainstream. Cornell is definitely more talented than Cobain and I would argue Dave Grohl is as well but Nirvana will always hold a unique place in rock history.
Grohl may be the best overall rock musician of our lifetimes.

Oasis. I actually like Noel Gallagher’s side band and yes Champagne Supernova is a solid song but being compared to the Beatles in the 90s is now laughable. They wrote the same song over and over. Journey would be 1b followed by Foo Fighters.

Wonder Wall is the stupidest love song ever written.

Oasis is the pretentious version of Duran Duran.

So this is a bit like what I said to the other guy about Nirvana. You may not LIKE the Beatles but their greatness cannot be overstated for their genre at that time period
Nirvana had 3 albums, they had some great hits but their mark on history is nothing like the Beatles. Cobain to me gets the a simiilar wrap Jim Morrison did. Both were overhyped.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
I’ll throw Marilyn Manson as another overrated performer. His music wasn’t anything special and his shtick was so cringey, even to me as a young teenager.

Reactions: doug518
Great responses, but so much is personal taste. I have never liked the Dead, yet I understand their attraction to many. @BaileyDawg79 said the Eagles ... he should summarily executed. Beyonce is ok, but she can't hold a flame to the great R&B singers over the years. And, as a big KISS fan growing up, I have to agree they aren't good musicians, but I loved their concerts.

I'm going Rolling Stones ... I said it, bite me.
"Great responses, but so much is personal taste"....exactly so.

As far as the Dead, as Bill Graham once said: " "They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do."

My wife is with you on the Stones. I strongly disagree. Keith is one of the best ever.

I sort of struggle classifying Beyoncé as a musician… She’s more of a stage act A la Madonna.. I hate to elevate them
I’ve said many times I don’t get Dave Matthews but I’m hard-pressed to call him and all timer But to me he is hugely overrated.
I have to go with the grateful dead. For those people who followed them around, get a life.
I can’t believe the people that are throwing off on the Eagles. Glenn Frey was playing on stage in front of 20,000 people when he was 14 with Bob Seger. Don Henley is one of the best voices in music history. Don Felder legendary guitarist.People came and went but they were all extremely talented Joe Walsh, Timothy b Schmitt, now Vince gill…. No that’s as good as it gets.

Great responses, but so much is personal taste. I have never liked the Dead, yet I understand their attraction to many. @BaileyDawg79 said the Eagles ... he should summarily executed. Beyonce is ok, but she can't hold a flame to the great R&B singers over the years. And, as a big KISS fan growing up, I have to agree they aren't good musicians, but I loved their concerts.

I'm going Rolling Stones ... I said it, bite me.
Crazy

Nirvana started a whole wave of grunge music in the 1990s man. You may not like Nirvana but they were maybe the most relevant American band in the 1990s

U2 isn’t my jam but they’ve obviously done something right
I respect Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr., but they owe their sound to Sonic Youth. Watching Sonic Youth evolve at CBGB's in the '80s was one of the best things I have ever had the pleasure to witness.

For the people that said Grateful Dead,
I get it. Trippy lyrics (in some songs) and long, improved playing are not everyone’s cup of tea. But let’s give them some credit, how many other bands could cover Smokey Robinson, Merle Haggard and Howlin Wolf in one show? Very few.

Soundgarden and Nirvana are generally viewed as the first bands to take grunge into the mainstream. Cornell is definitely more talented than Cobain and I would argue Dave Grohl is as well but Nirvana will always hold a unique place in rock history.
Didn't Alice in Chains get big before Nirvana and Soundgarden?

Reactions: doug518 and ILAdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT