ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Way ND: Who is the most overrated musical artist of all time?

Clapton
Grateful Dead
Janice Joplin
Rolling Stones
Taylor Swift
Justin Beiber
Bob Dylan
Anything rap/hip hop except Digital Underground

All this way through the thread and no vote for Rush?
Rush.
Rush again followed by Yes and any music that is not played on real instruments by real musicians.

Reactions: Obi Won
YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!!1!!11!

90706bc7fdd33f7eabfdd7d3778472469c-24-taylor-swift-instagram.rsquare.w700.jpg
IMO, this picture just proves my point.

All this way through the thread and no vote for Rush?
Rush.
Rush again followed by Yes and any music that is not played on real instruments by real musicians.
Seems like you just don’t like prog rock. Which is totally fine, for the record. Doesn’t make Rush or Yes overrated though.

Reactions: n8dawg_53
Today is the day and age of the low information musician. Never has so many hits been written with so few chords, hell, in Cardi B's case, not even chords, just a few prime notes. You can take early Beatles, when they were in their boy band phase, and there were vastly more chord changes per song than what tops the chart today. Further evidence of societal decline: When a cultures art goes to crap, that culture has more to worry about than just crappy art...

Today is the day and age of the low information musician. Never has so many hits been written with so few chords, hell, in Cardi B's case, not even chords, just a few prime notes. You can take early Beatles, when they were in their boy band phase, and there were vastly more chord changes per song than what tops the chart today. Further evidence of societal decline: When a cultures art goes to crap, that culture has more to worry about than just crappy art...
This is such an old person take. Music in mainstream culture is almost always simplified because it’s built to appeal to the widest audience. There’s an incredible array of music available to you if you look in the right places.

I don’t do drugs so my apologies. I even scrolled 4 pages to see if there was one response.

I’m going with Widespread Panic

Ok, now I’ll duck.

This is such an old person take. Music in mainstream culture is almost always simplified because it’s built to appeal to the widest audience. There’s an incredible array of music available to you if you look in the right places.
I'm not even talking about some obscure jazz quartet you've never heard of...I'm talking about acts that topped the charts...The Beatles, The Police, Steely Dan...you'll have songs where there are about 12 chords played before you get to the chorus. These days in popular music, you're lucky to get a run of only 4 chords. And that ain't old man logic, thats logic with eyes and ears wide open. I know there's capable musicians out there, but that's not at the forefront of popular culture today

Reactions: halfmoonriverdawg
I hate the Grateful Dead
I'll be Grateful when they're dead
I'm not a wide eyed tye died Woodstock head.
I ... Hate the Dead.

Dinosaur Jr is the most underrated of the grunge scene and those guys are still putting out solid albums.
You ever listen to the album More Light by J Mascis + the Fog ? Imo it’s his best album and I’ve read he thinks so as well. It’s fuxking killer.

The Eagles
I used to think they were way overrated, but those guys are all each very talented. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gained more of an appreciation for how good they are, particularly vocally. All those dudes can sing, one of the better vocal rock groups ever.

Great responses, but so much is personal taste. I have never liked the Dead, yet I understand their attraction to many. @BaileyDawg79 said the Eagles ... he should summarily executed. Beyonce is ok, but she can't hold a flame to the great R&B singers over the years. And, as a big KISS fan growing up, I have to agree they aren't good musicians, but I loved their concerts.

I'm going Rolling Stones ... I said it, bite me.

Reactions: LawDawg86
So I asked my 17 year old this question and he had an interesting response. This performer has 24.8 million subscribers on YouTube and is not very good.

I give you: Drake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT