ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Wednesday Practice Report: What we saw, what we learned

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
On Tuesday, Kirby Smart said he expected backup receiver/special teams standout Jayson Stanley back anytime. He was correct.

Stanley was back on the practice field Wednesday, going through drills with the rest of the wide receivers in preparation for Saturday's game in Jacksonville against Florida. This is actually important news for Georgia.

Although Stanley has yet to catch a pass, the junior has been one of the Bulldogs' most impressive performers on special teams, serving as a gunner on Georgia's kickoff and punt coverage teams.

Stanley's return means the only injured player still out is backup defensive tackle DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle, who missed the game against Missouri with a concussion. Trenton Thompson (sprained MCL), Terry Godwin (ribs), David Marshall (believed to be a concussion), Pat Allen (lower leg injury) and Reggie Carter (believed to be a concussion) are all believed to be good to go.

Also:

...Defensive line coach Tray Scott was in a cranky mood today, perhaps an attempt to make sure his players are properly in tune for the challenge that awaits them on Saturday.

"How good do you *&^%% want to be?" Scott yelled.

We'll leave exactly what he said off since this is a family web site, but you get the picture. Scott wants his defensive line fired up. The guess here is they will be.

...During today's SEC teleconference, Smart was asked what he thought Saturday's game should be called the “World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.” Yes, that was a question.

"I'll be honest with you. I don't get into that part of it. That's not really for me to concern ourselves with," Smart said. "Our No.1 obstacle is to play our best game, our best football. It's a very unique setting and I think that's awesome."

...Freshman defensive back Tray Bishop was not practicing today. He's yet to appear in a game this year.

From Patrick Garbin…

…To begin our viewing periods (3 and 4), which lasted roughly eight minutes, I checked on the defensive linemen to see if DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle was present. Dash mentioned if he was there or not, and why or why not. Tray Scott was directing the unit, “left” or “right,” and “tight” or “Charlie.” The first two strings (and, again, we’re dealing with the D-Line, so take this with a grain of salt) were John AtkinsTyler ClarkJonathan Ledbetter followed by Julian RochesterTrenton ThompsonJustin Young.

…Regarding the statement Dash mentioned Tray Scott yelled to the unit, I thought it was interesting the assistant said it to the entire unit—maybe a first I’ve seen from Scott, who seems to normally give one-on-one commands. I’ll also say, the coach added to his statement by asking, “Who the [expletive] do you want to be?”

…Using dry balls as opposed to yesterday’s wet, I watched the quarterbacks throw to the wideouts running out routes. Everything seemed the norm. Apparently, some receivers might not have been “finishing the drill,” as James Coley blurted, “What did we talk about?!? Run after the catch!”

…I don’t know about his run after the catch, but Javon Wims going after a catch is a sight to see. It’s common knowledge the senior receiver can flat-out leap, but he demonstrated today two leaping grabs where he landed on his feet—and back to back—that were absolutely extraordinary.

…Finally, we nearly had a major mishap towards the end of our viewing—seriously. The outside linebackers were running an end-rush drill where they ran around two hoops which essentially formed a figure eight. During D’Andre Walker’s turn, coach Kevin Sherrer decided to quickly get to the other side of the drill, cutting through. However, the coach tripped on one of the hoops, falling in the direct path of Walker, who nearly plowed through or over (or both) Sherrer before just holding up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News