ADVERTISEMENT

A Feature on Steven Van Tiflin Would be Fascinating. Here's Why...

nostalgia80

Diehard supporter
Jul 3, 2001
This redshirt junior, quality walk-on WR from Saginaw, Michigan (how did he end up at UGA?) is a brother at the UGA chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, a historically-Black fraternity that was 100% African American when I attended UGA.

Now, I doubt Kirby's staff is going to grant access to interview a walk-on with in-depth questions outside of football, in part because any good reporter would have to note the historical racism and segregation in UGA's Greek system.

I know a few historically-White sororities integrated this century, but unless I missed the story, I don't think any historically-White fraternities at UGA have ever had a dues-paying, fully-initiated African American member and it's freaking 2017. What a colossal and pathetic embarassment for the entire state if that still holds true.

But how many white guys have been members of UGA's Kappa Alpha Psi? It must be a very short list, bc this is the first white football player I've ever heard of joining a Black fraternity at UGA.

Regardless, Van Tiflin's takes on life at UGA as a white, walk-on WR from urban Michigan playing at UGA and as a member of essentially what has long been an all-Black fraternity would be amazing to read or listen to if we could.

This redshirt junior, quality walk-on WR from Saginaw, Michigan (how did he end up at UGA?) is a brother at the UGA chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, a historically-Black fraternity that was 100% African American when I attended UGA.

Now, I doubt Kirby's staff is going to grant access to interview a walk-on with in-depth questions outside of football, in part because any good reporter would have to note the historical racism and segregation in UGA's Greek system.

I know a few historically-White sororities integrated this century, but unless I missed the story, I don't think any historically-White fraternities at UGA have ever had a dues-paying, fully-initiated African American member and it's freaking 2017. What a colossal and pathetic embarassment for the entire state if that still holds true.

But how many white guys have been members of UGA's Kappa Alpha Psi? It must be a very short list, bc this is the first white football player I've ever heard of joining a Black fraternity at UGA.

Regardless, Van Tiflin's takes on life at UGA as a white, walk-on WR from urban Michigan playing at UGA and as a member of essentially what has long been an all-Black fraternity would be amazing to read or listen to if we could.
Why go off on such tangents as you have with the labels? It isn't necessary, very poor and assumptive. What you allege is not relegated to The Univ of Georgia Greek System alone. It is a situation across the country, north, south, east, west. Why is it an embarrassment or Colossal? That's hyperbole of the nth degree. I'm not embarrassed, nor am I concerned, anymore so if traditionally Jewish fraternities and sororities don't have Christian or Muslim members. People have a right to assemble with whom they please, or not for that matter. I went through rush, didn't get the Fraternity I wanted, it is what it is. Whatever Van Tiflin's fraternity is or is not is his private business, and should stay that way. You seem to be subtly suggesting the young man be used to make a social point, which would be a huge disservice to him and his fraternity.

I think it's newsworthy and pretty cool that a white walk-on from Michigan on our football team is a brother in an all-Back fraternity at what has always been a very segregated (and sadly self-segregated often in recent decades ) campus community.

Per some cursory Google searches, it appears that UGA, Bama, Auburn and Ole Miss are the only major institution fraternity systems in the United States that have never had a single Black member in their history.

In contrast, UF and FSU both had African Americans in white fraternities when I visited in the late 1980s. The fact that we still don't in 2017 and are part of the list above of backward schools with Deliverence-type fanbases should be an embarassment to all of our alumni. You seeing no problem with this says a lot more about you. But then again you were the only person on here who was a huge proponent of our reefer-madness and draconian drug/suspension policy, which was also institutionally racist (against people of color) and sexist (against all men) in its enforcement based on punishments vs. usage rates by all races and sexes.

Why go off on such tangents as you have with the labels? It isn't necessary, very poor and assumptive. What you allege is not relegated to The Univ of Georgia Greek System alone. It is a situation across the country, north, south, east, west. Why is it an embarrassment or Colossal? That's hyperbole of the nth degree. I'm not embarrassed, nor am I concerned, anymore so if traditionally Jewish fraternities and sororities don't have Christian or Muslim members. People have a right to assemble with whom they please, or not for that matter. I went through rush, didn't get the Fraternity I wanted, it is what it is. Whatever Van Tiflin's fraternity is or is not is his private business, and should stay that way. You seem to be subtly suggesting the young man be used to make a social point, which would be a huge disservice to him and his fraternity.

This is not true. I know for a fact that there were two fraternities (Delta Chi and Sig Ep) that had African American members while I was at UGA (98-03). I can't speak for the other schools within the state, but that is absolutely not true about UGA.

I knew three guys that joined an all black one
6236713.jpg

Played with him this year at Bulldogs Battling Breast Cancer and this kid has a great head on his shoulders. He had some smaller college scholarship offers, but decided to come and walk on at Georgia. He told me God led him to come and play for CMR. Told me he wanted to play for a man that had the same values he had. Also, he recently was awarded a scholarship by CKS. About all the other stuff you mentioned, I will step aside.

Reactions: SmyrnaGaDawg
I think it's newsworthy and pretty cool that a white walk-on from Michigan on our football team is a brother in an all-Back fraternity at what has always been a very segregated (and sadly self-segregated often in recent decades ) campus community.

Per some cursory Google searches, it appears that UGA, Bama, Auburn and Ole Miss are the only major institution fraternity systems in the United States that have never had a single Black member in their history.

In contrast, UF and FSU both had African Americans in white fraternities when I visited in the late 1980s. The fact that we still don't in 2017 and are part of the list above of backward schools with Deliverence-type fanbases should be an embarassment to all of our alumni. You seeing no problem with this says a lot more about you. But then again you were the only person on here who was a huge proponent of our reefer-madness and draconian drug/suspension policy, which was also institutionally racist (against people of color) and sexist (against all men) in its enforcement based on punishments vs. usage rates by all races and sexes.

I think our marijuana policy punishes marijuana users...

This is not true. I know for a fact that there were two fraternities (Delta Chi and Sig Ep) that had African American members while I was at UGA (98-03). I can't speak for the other schools within the state, but that is absolutely not true about UGA.

This is true - was there around the same time. But it was definitely the exception, not the rule.

I went to Emory, 93 to 98, and almost all of our fraternities had Black members, Asian, Jewish, etc.

Never let reason, logic, nor the truth get in the way of an agenda. Why that simply wouldn't work to support your agenda.

You have an agenda, it is quite evident and has been, you want to identify issues by race. Sad, very sad.

Backwards schools based upon a Goggle search, now that's enlightening. Google, a company which recently fired an employee for posting a scientific research analysis of gender in engineering and math. A company which announced it is teaming with the Southern Poverty Law Center and others to identify and censor "right wing" extremists as if SPLC is anything more than a crackpot, left wing, finger pointing, dishonest group which identified Daily Caller as an extremist website. Sorry buddy, it does seem as if continually you post items here which attempt to disparage The Univ of Ga, this is another.

As an Alumnus I am far more embarrassed by the incompetence coming from the AD's office along with certain aspects of the former Pres's tenure in Athens. Perhaps you are fine with it.

You've suggested many a thing which is ridiculous, to suggest the Athletic Dept drug policy and guidelines is "racist" is about as stupid as one can get. What a shallow line of reasoning and use of the word racist to deem something with which you disagree. Should we conclude from that statement that any company in this nation which has a No Drug policy is inherently racist? If UPS, FedEx, Old Dominion tests its drivers for drug useage that is racist? What about Delta, American, United, same principle apply?

Racist policy would be one focused on one group, that group would be one solely based upon upon their race and the policy assigned to that group alone. Is the NFL policy racist? For the life of me, I do not believe the Drug Policy originally drawn up and enacted by former Ath Dir Damon Evans, he himself a minority, is racist. I did not realize our drug policy was targeting one specific minority group.

You have a problem

Reactions: ajk9
Cool. Thanks for the info. Wish we had publicized this or there had been media reports, bc we are still being listed by some as segregated.

There were three different African-Americans in historically white fraternities during my time at UGA. 1999-2003. I knew two of them and both were good dudes. I agree it is very rare, but it goes both ways. I am not sure it's nearly as scandalous as you make it out to be.

Reactions: DawgHammarskjold
This should be fun. I've got my money on @nostalgia80 destroying @Captain in this thread.

409.gif
I am surprised. Then again, not really. Not going to be a back and forth from me, nothing more to say. Simply debunking a distorted and ridiculous stance. Do you believe the drug policy for athletes we have is "racist"? If so, seems you would agree that the one in the NFL is racist, along with Drug Free workplaces all across the nation.

I met his uncle a few years ago at a chic fil a in Marietta. I was wearing a uga shirt and he came up and asked me about the chances of the game before we played bama. I said I was worried because we didn't have a qb. He told me his nephew was a qb and they were thinking about movin him form wr to qb. Obviously he had no chance of playing but he was proud of his nephew. Of course I looked him up and was more shocked to find out he was full white because his uncle was half black. The reason I say this story is if van tifflin family or at least a good portion of it is black, it's not surprising that would be the culture he feels most comfortable in. Cool story but it's not that surprising for me personally. It's cool though that this random meeting two years ago makes more sense lol

I know multiple African Americans that are members at some of UGAs "historically white" fraternities

Reactions: Captain

Hmmmph, how many of us have done 23&me DNA profiles?

The statistics are coming back extremely high 40-60% multigenerational whites from the the Deep South are a good bit West African.

That .alt hist myth of English Lords shoddy behavior in the Americas is looking more true.

Science moves on and so should we; Every human on the planet alive today is Of East African origin - we are all brothers after all.

Reactions: DawgHammarskjold
Hmmmph, how many of us have done 23&me DNA profiles?

The statistics are coming back extremely high 40-60% multigenerational whites from the the Deep South are a good bit West African.

That .alt hist myth of English Lords shoddy behavior in the Americas is looking more true.

Science moves on and so should we; Every human on the planet alive today is Of East African origin - we are all brothers after all.

Yeaah, and I can dance...outdance your sorry butt anyday!

tenor.gif

Reactions: LrgK9
While I agree the association is free and people have the right, that doesn't mean it's a "good" thing for our society. There is nothing more corrosive to our culture than the voluntary segregation of our people by race and ethnicity. It's the opposite of a melting pot, and it's a huge reason why we can't have civil conversations any more. Whether it's neighborhoods, schools, or fraternities, you are not going to get past focusing on race until people get to know and freely associate with people of other races and ethnicities, and for that reason, Nostalgia is right that this is a good story worth pursuing.

Good God, I teach my kid to mock and show disrespect to ignorant, alt-right rednecks like you, but to be weary of your guns, bc your type (who marched in Charlottesville to defend racist statues of moral degenerates who committed treason against the United States) lack physical or intellectual prowess, but are prone to shoot unarmed Black kids when you are so easily frightened.

The UGA AA drug policy is racist in its effect, bc the only ones we hear about being suspended from it are AA football players via media coverage. That cost B. Rambo about 3 rounds in the draft (for 2 offenses that would have resulted in 0 punishment at any of our rivals) and cost us Monster Adams as a recruit, not bc he wanted to use pot, but rather bc rival recruiters accurately convinced his Mother that UGA was a then-racist, redneck school that regularly threw Black players under the bus.

And Damon didn't write anything - the UGA compliance office did in conjunction with the General Counsel. Ironically, this policy was the wish and edict of Mike Adams, who you justifiably blame for a lot of things and is an institutional racist, who you correctly noted, illegally misused and embezzled university funds.

Fortunately, Kirby has privately got the enforcement (e.g., testing) of our drug policy greatly reduced to where it is a non-issue. I wish CMR had privately pushed for this.

And if a policy or system statistically discriminates against people of color, then it is by very definition institutional racism. African Americans and Whites in this county consume cannabis at equal amounts in proportion to their representation in society. But yet Blacks are 4 times more likely to be arrested for possession and 8 times more likely to be convicted for individual possession. Our entire criminal justice system is statistically the most racist among first-world countries. That is an indisputable fact.

But thanks for posting. Your intolerant comments reminded me that I need to give my annual contribution to the SPLC, an organization that was literally founded to legally fight and recoup damages specifically from the KKK. But yet you hate that organization. Says all there is to know about you. Sad. Fans like you are regularly used against us in recruiting, that I assure you.

Never let reason, logic, nor the truth get in the way of an agenda. Why that simply wouldn't work to support your agenda.

You have an agenda, it is quite evident and has been, you want to identify issues by race. Sad, very sad.

Backwards schools based upon a Goggle search, now that's enlightening. Google, a company which recently fired an employee for posting a scientific research analysis of gender in engineering and math. A company which announced it is teaming with the Southern Poverty Law Center and others to identify and censor "right wing" extremists as if SPLC is anything more than a crackpot, left wing, finger pointing, dishonest group which identified Daily Caller as an extremist website. Sorry buddy, it does seem as if continually you post items here which attempt to disparage The Univ of Ga, this is another.

As an Alumnus I am far more embarrassed by the incompetence coming from the AD's office along with certain aspects of the former Pres's tenure in Athens. Perhaps you are fine with it.

You've suggested many a thing which is ridiculous, to suggest the Athletic Dept drug policy and guidelines is "racist" is about as stupid as one can get. What a shallow line of reasoning and use of the word racist to deem something with which you disagree. Should we conclude from that statement that any company in this nation which has a No Drug policy is inherently racist? If UPS, FedEx, Old Dominion tests its drivers for drug useage that is racist? What about Delta, American, United, same principle apply?

Racist policy would be one focused on one group, that group would be one solely based upon upon their race and the policy assigned to that group alone. Is the NFL policy racist? For the life of me, I do not believe the Drug Policy originally drawn up and enacted by former Ath Dir Damon Evans, he himself a minority, is racist. I did not realize our drug policy was targeting one specific minority group.

You have a problem

Reactions: LrgK9
Good God, I teach my kid to mock and show disrespect to ignorant, alt-right rednecks like you, but to be weary of your guns, bc your type (who marched in Charlottesville to defend racist statues of moral degenerates who committed treason against the United States) lack physical or intellectual prowess, but are prone to shoot unarmed Black kids when you are so easily frightened.

The UGA AA drug policy is racist in its effect, bc the only ones we hear about being suspended from it are AA football players via media coverage. That cost B. Rambo about 3 rounds in the draft (for 2 offenses that would have resulted in 0 punishment at any of our rivals) and cost us Monster Adams as a recruit, not bc he wanted to use pot, but rather bc rival recruiters accurately convinced his Mother that UGA was a then-racist, redneck school that regularly threw Black players under the bus.

And Damon didn't write anything - the UGA compliance office did in conjunction with the General Counsel. Ironically, this policy was the wish and edict of Mike Adams, who you justifiably blame for a lot of things and is an institutional racist, who you correctly noted, illegally misused and embezzled university funds.

Fortunately, Kirby has privately got the enforcement (e.g., testing) of our drug policy greatly reduced to where it is a non-issue. I wish CMR had privately pushed for this.

And if a policy or system statistically discriminates against people of color, then it is by very definition institutional racism. African Americans and Whites in this county consume cannabis at equal amounts in proportion to their representation in society. But yet Blacks are 4 times more likely to be arrested for possession and 8 times more likely to be convicted for individual possession. Our entire criminal justice system is statistically the most racist among first-world countries. That is an indisputable fact.

But thanks for posting. Your intolerant comments reminded me that I need to give my annual contribution to the SPLC, an organization that was literally founded to legally fight and recoup damages specifically from the KKK. But yet you hate that organization. Says all there is to know about you. Sad. Fans like you are regularly used against us in recruiting, that I assure you.

Would you agree then that insider trading, securities fraud, and tax evasion laws and prosecutions are "racist" against white people?

I agree with your OP, but the SPLC isn't the same group anymore. It just isn't, and you're not being fair if you don't recognize that. I'm jumping off this train, though. It's gotten unnecessarily vitriolic, and your larger and more important point is in serious danger of being lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT