I strongly concur!

Last edited:
vet says mine are getting too much protein,
resulting in skin problems.

8 year old bulldogs.

8 year old bulldogs.

Hey Pug did you read the discussion on the vent about this same issue. The bottom line was chicken was bad for them and you should be feeding them lamb instead. They gave a name of the dogfood but I don’t remember the name. It was a food like Blue or something like that. But basically they said lamb would solve the problem.

Reactions: blackpug6
Hey Pug did you read the discussion on the vent about this same issue. The bottom line was chicken was bad for them and you should be feeding them lamb instead. They gave a name of the dogfood but I don’t remember the name. It was a food like Blue or something like that. But basically they said lamb would solve the problem.
thanks,

Feed my dogs Costco chicken! Chickens not good for my dogs? Damn damn And Blue is having issues? Sorry didn’t see the last thread.

I buy big boxes of minute rice and cans of chunk chicken breast. I cook up 3 cups of rice and put 2 cans of chicken in it. I buy bags of Fromm dogfood at Dog Lovers ($83/26 lb bag).
At mealtime I mix 1 cup of Fromm with the rice & chicken (the amount of rice and chicken I stated lasts 5 days).
My dog used to have some stomach issues but not anymore and he absolutely loves mealtime.

Last edited:
  • Love
How do they get dogs to pee in a cup?

🙂
You haven't lived until you've collected a urine sample from your dog. You actually have to follow the dog with a plastic baggie and get it in that stream when they pee. Most preferably, you do this the first time they go out in the morning. Keep in mind that my last two have been chihuahuas, which significantly increases the difficulty factor.

I buy big boxes of minute rice and cans of chunk chicken breast. I cook up 3 cups of rice and put 2 cans of chicken in it. I buy bags of Fromm dogfood at Dog Lovers ($83/26 lb bag).
At mealtime I mix 1 cup of Fromm with the rice & chicken (the amount of rice and chicken I stated lasts 5 days).
My dog used to have some stomach issues but not anymore and he absolutely loves mealtime.
Do your dog a favor and decrease the rice and add some vegetables. Dogs generally love those, and better for them to get some green. Fromm already has plenty of grain in most of their products.

Frozen bags of peas and carrots are an easy place to start. You can also see how your pooch likes broccoli and chop some up in your mix. Pure pumpkin is a good add, and you can get cans of pure pumpkin puree (nothing added, no pie mix) at the grocery store. Add a tablespoon per meal for better digestion and taste.

Kudos for improving your dog's diet. It will pay off for you.

Last edited:

8 year old bulldogs.
Hey Pug,

I asked about a urinalysis earlier because I was curious how your vet came to the conclusion that your dogs' problem is "too much protein." Didn't want to be accusatory, but that sounds like a dismissive answer unless it is based on testing, which requires blood and urine samples. Most vets do regular blood work, but sometimes skip urinalysis for their own convenience.

Bulldogs are prone to skin problems, and the source can be respiratory allergens like dust or mold, flea allergies, or dietary.

Dogs are carnivores, so the idea that the problem is "too much protein" sounds sketchy at face value (without knowing what is behind that opinion). More often the dietary problem is too much crappy protein. Chicken (or any fowl) at every meal can be a problem over time. Always best to mix up their main food source to help keep food allergies at bay. Lamb and beef recipes, venison, duck, fish blends, are good in rotation.

Read the labels on any dog food you buy for them. Look for cheap protein sources like soy meal, or any protein meal really, that appears high on the list. Vegetable proteins are used to keep cost down, but they are not good for your dogs.

Look for limited ingredient, grain free, or hypoallergenic foods. Wellness brand is very good at those. Merrick also has some good ones that aren't overly expensive. Fresh blends from Farmers Dog or Nom Nom are expensive, but clear up a lot of dietary issues.

Last edited:
Feed my dogs Costco chicken! Chickens not good for my dogs? Damn damn And Blue is having issues? Sorry didn’t see the last thread.
Kirkland Signature is good stuff, in general. Its always good to rotate your dog food occasionally. They also have a lamb recipe that checks out well.

Kirkland Signature is good stuff, in general. Its always good to rotate your dog food occasionally. They also have a lamb recipe that checks out well.

kirkland sig is what I am currently feeding them.

kirkland sig is what I am currently feeding them.
Kirkland is above average, but some dogs have issues with it.

Consider switching short term to a limited ingredient food like Wellness Simple with a different protein source than what they have been eating, and see if it helps. There's also hypoallergenic recipes, but those should only be used by prescription.

Rotating dogfood for my dog is tough because so many, even expensive brands cause stomach issues. The rice & chicken was recommended by a neighbor because it worked for her when her dog had problems. She got it off the net.
All I know is it works and he loves it. He's a Catahoula. I don't know if they are notorious for stomach problems or not but he just cannot eat stuff like Members Mark or any Purina. He can eat Fromm. He likes the mixture with rice and chicken plus Fromm better than anything.

Reactions: BonJax
Does anyone put fish oil on their dog's food? That stuff smells awful.

My wife feeds our Pekingese any combination of broccoli, green beans, carrots, cabbage, and some hills chicken canned dog food. I’ll try that when my lab pup reaches full size. Right now it’s purine pro plan development 30/20. It working because he’s a 30 pound moose.

I agree with the lamb comments, my old lab loved it and it helped his skin, though he was getting monthly shots too. The food in question from a previous post is Blue Buffalo. I think I saw Hills lamb in a can if you’re going that route. Get the shots too once in a while, maybe when you change diets. Ask your vet. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT