ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg If you can’t pull for Raheem Morris, somethings wrong with you…..

Anyone that uses an interim record against Morris or any other coach needs to get out of the conversation. They were interim because the head coach failed miserably over an extended amount of time.

Even if you did look at his interim year, they were 0-5 when he took over. They then went 4-2 over next 6 games and then lost the last 5 games with 4 of them one-score affairs. As an interim, that looks pretty damn solid to steady a sinking ship.

Was going to post that too. There was a definite turnaround in '20 when Morris took over. That was never going to be a good team anyway, but he got a lot more out of it than Quinn did, and that means something.

The last three games of that season, the Falcons played the two eventual Super Bowl participants (Tampa twice of the Chiefs once). They lost to Tampa by 4 at home, lost to Kansas City by 3 on the road, and lost to Tampa by 17 on the road. For a team that didn't have anything to play for, that's a respectable showing, especially at Kansas City.

I'm not sure how much relevance Morris' performance in Tampa a decade ago has now. We'll see. With hindsight being 20/20, the Falcons should have hired him instead of Arthur Smith three years ago. I respect that they didn't allow the optics of hiring Morris now to prevent it from happening.

Do you know who else had a losing record at their first stops? Belichick, parcels, Mike Shanahan, shula... not saying Raheem will do the same but judging a coach based on their first job is fickle
I did not say that you could not hire a coach with a losing record, I said that there were better options. It is done now, I hope that he has a great career with the Falcons.

Last edited:
Reactions: BringItDawg
Harbaugh was never coming to Atlanta with a GM in place, he's the best the Falcons could have done outside JH. It's an excellent hire and he'll have them playing very hard for him and probably a bit more loose and sound than Arthur did.

Reactions: easychair
Doesn't matter who the head coach is as long as the front office is inept at evaluating talent and determining who to draft. In a year I fully expect the Falcons to be on the outside watching the playoffs, coach on the hot seat, meanwhile front office people who handed him the roster, without any of his input are secure in their positions.

Morris will be judged by his record. Whether he is a good guy or a total bastard is irrelevant at this point. Remember Eric Bieneny, the Kansas City OC, who everyone claimed he needed to be a head coach? He was the OC for the Redskins this year and got fired yesterday. The players hated him.

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, Morris will be what his record is.

I will be pulling for him to do well and get the Falcons into the playoffs. But, based on his NFL head coaching record, I believe that there were other better coaches to get. I hope that I'm wrong, but I believe that the Falcons will be searching for a new head coach in three years.
Yep. Nothing much gonna change with Arthur pulling the strings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT