ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg If you can’t pull for Raheem Morris, somethings wrong with you…..

easychair

UGA LOVER
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
He’s one of the most likable guys you’ll ever see, with an infectious personality. He wears an almost permanent smile that is 100% genuine and not a bit put-on. It’s not that I know him personally, but these are the things that are said about him by everyone who knows him best. He is the first Black HC in FB of the Atlanta Falcons, UGA or GT, not on an interim basis. With Atlanta, Georgia, being the Black Mecca, it is very fitting.

Being a 76 year-old white male who grew up in the rural south during the 1950s and 60s, I am thoroughly versed in Jim Crow and segregation. I would play pick up games many afternoons with Black friends (and we would have some fantastic games… some of these guys were very talented), the white political power structure would not allow these same young people to attend white schools; they were relegated to the Black schools where they received an inferior education. I didn’t understand it, didn’t agree with it, but I was powerless to make any kind of change. What I could do was what my parents taught me to do, and that was too “love my neighbor as myself,” and to “do unto others, as I would have them do unto me,” and this included my Black friends.

As likable as Rah Morris is, and as much as people in Atlanta, Georgia, and the nation are pulling for him, he’ll be judged on his record of wins and losses, as it should be, and not based on the color of his skin. I think this was a great hire by Arthur Blank, and I hope that Coach Raheem Morris is a great success. The first Black head football coach of a major college or the NFL in the state of Georgia…..’bout time.

Last edited:
I will be pulling for him to do well and get the Falcons into the playoffs. But, based on his NFL head coaching record, I believe that there were other better coaches to get. I hope that I'm wrong, but I believe that the Falcons will be searching for a new head coach in three years.

Yeah, he's an awful hire. This is only made worse by him also being set up for failure this time around. Hope he overcomes this front office and his previous coaching deficiencies. Nice guy though.

He’s one of the most likable guys you’ll ever see, with an infectious personality. He wears an almost permanent smile that is 100% genuine and not a bit put-on. It’s not that I know him personally, but these are the things that are said about him by everyone who knows him best. He is the first Black HC in FB of the Atlanta Falcons, UGA or GT, not on an interim basis. With Atlanta, Georgia, being the Black Mecca, it is very fitting.

Being a 56-year-old white male who grew up in the rural south during the 1950s and 60s, I am thoroughly versed in Jim Crow and segregation. I would play pick up games many afternoons with Black friends (and we would have some fantastic games… some of these guys were very talented), the white political power structure would not allow these same young people to attend white schools; they were relegated to the Black schools where they received an inferior education. I didn’t understand it, didn’t agree with it, but I was powerless to make any kind of change. What I could do was what my parents taught me to do, and that was too “love my neighbor as myself,” and to “do unto others, as I would have them do unto me,” and this included my Black friends.

As likable as Rah Morris is, and as much as people in Atlanta, Georgia, and the nation are pulling for him, he’ll be judged on his record of wins and losses, as it should be, and not based on the color of his skin. I think this was a great hire by Arthur Blank, and I hope that Coach Raheem Morris is a great success. The first Black head football coach of a major college or the NFL in the state of Georgia…..’bout time.
All of that is totally irrelevant.

I will be pulling for him to do well and get the Falcons into the playoffs. But, based on his NFL head coaching record, I believe that there were other better coaches to get. I hope that I'm wrong, but I believe that the Falcons will be searching for a new head coach in three years.
That’s a pretty simplistic view. They over performed then management sold off their good players.

Reactions: BringItDawg

Being a 56-year-old white male who grew up in the rural south during the 1950s and 60s, I am thoroughly versed in Jim Crow and segregation. I would play pick up games many afternoons with Black friends (and we would have some fantastic games… some of these guys were very talented), the white political power structure would not allow these same young people to attend white schools; they were relegated to the Black schools where they received an inferior education. I didn’t understand it, didn’t agree with it, but I was powerless to make any kind of change. What I could do was what my parents taught me to do, and that was too “love my neighbor as myself,” and to “do unto others, as I would have them do unto me,” and this included my Black friends.

Good post but must have been a typo on the 56 lol. I’m 50 and I grew up in the 70s and 80s lol

That’s a pretty simplistic view. They over performed then management sold off their good players.
I deal with wins and losses. His record in TPA was 17 - 31 & as interim HC in ATL was a losing record.

Players get hurt, owners cause issues but that happens to all coaches. His head coaching record is bad, that is what you look at when you hire head coaches.

There is no denying that his HC record is really bad and that there were other better choices that could have been hired.

easy, I get your point, but I could care less if he is the first anything. He is a good man and motivator/coach of men.

Once we get past this we can move on. It’s not about time it happened. He isn’t a token. He earned the right to be a head coach. As a man, period.

If he was white or Asian, I would feel the same way.

I am pumped about the Falcons for the first time in years, because they hired a grown ass man to coach the team. We need to figure that out.

'You old guys, you and Athens.

I’m 66. Raised in Cascade Heights, SW Atlanta. West Manor Elementary, Cascade Heights Elementary.
So you were born in 1958, you were to young to remember anything about the 1950's or even the early 1960"s.

easy, I get your point, but I could care less if he is the first anything. He is a good man and motivator/coach of men.

Once we get past this we can move on. It’s not about time it happened. He isn’t a token. He earned the right to be a head coach. As a man, period.

If he was white or Asian, I would feel the same way.

I am pumped about the Falcons for the first time in years, because they hired a grown ass man to coach the team. We need to figure that out.
Are you saying that all of the other Falcon head coaching hires were not grown ass me?

I deal with wins and losses. His record in TPA was 17 - 31 & as interim HC in ATL was a losing record.

Players get hurt, owners cause issues but that happens to all coaches. His head coaching record is bad, that is what you look at when you hire head coaches.

There is no denying that his HC record is really bad and that there were other better choices that could have been hired.
Ok cool, that’s fine if you want to see it that way. LSU prob shouldn’t have hired Saban, USC and Seattle shouldn’t have hired Carroll, and New England certainly shouldn’t have hired Bellichick under your terms.

It’s an outrageously complicated sport involving hundreds of people in an organization. To say a head coach is bad because of a record alone without looking at anything else is naive. Maybe the Falcons should’ve googled win loss records rather than having interviews and doing in depth research.

Reactions: ctidawg and hank270
Ok cool, that’s fine if you want to see it that way. LSU prob shouldn’t have hired Saban, USC and Seattle shouldn’t have hired Carroll, and New England certainly shouldn’t have hired Bellichick under your terms.

It’s an outrageously complicated sport involving hundreds of people in an organization. To say a head coach is bad because of a record alone without looking at anything else is naive. Maybe the Falcons should’ve googled win loss records rather than having interviews and doing in depth research.
Good lord man, get over it. Coach Morris has a bad NFL win loss record, wins and losses matter. You are such a fan of coach Morris that you don’t care that he has a bad HC record.

I guess in your world, teams don’t need to keep score, wins and losses don’t matter. It’s just a simplistic way to look at it, players get hurt, the administration did not make good decisions, it was raining hard, all sorts of reasons for the loss.

I will take a hard pass on your way to grade coaches and teams.

Good lord man, get over it. Coach Morris has a bad NFL win loss record, wins and losses matter. You are such a fan of coach Morris that you don’t care that he has a bad HC record.

I guess in your world, teams don’t need to keep score, wins and losses don’t matter. It’s just a simplistic way to look at it, players get hurt, the administration did not make good decisions, it was raining hard, all sorts of reasons for the loss.

I will take a hard pass on your way to grade coaches and teams.
I’ve yet to express my opinion on Morris. I do think your evaluation method of wins, losses, and nothing else is incredibly naive and wildly different than how all of the NFL would look at this. He was a head coach like 10 years ago. That’s your lone data point?

Did you think Richt was a good hire at Miami? Or because you saw it up close, you knew that his best days were behind him and it wasn’t going to work out there. My guess is the latter. Yes, winning matters. Of course. But to only look at that is silly.

I like Raheem Morris just fine and he seems like he has the most upside from any of the candidates the Falcons had a realistic shot with. I think everyone who is a decent human being is thrilled that a highly qualified black man is finally getting a well deserved shot at being head coach of a major football program in the state of Georgia.

That said, I personally no longer care for the stubbornly incompetent and mediocre franchise that he is coaching nor their Jerry Jones want to be owner. I admire you guys that are Dirty Birds for life, but after a lifetime of watching those guys continually give the middle finger to arguably their states largest fan base (by seemingly go out of their way to never draft any potential impact players from the state’s flagship institution) I’ve enjoyed my Sundays so much more just casually pulling for the teams and players I actually admire and enjoy watching play. So the Dawgs get 100% of my diehard nature on Saturday and are sole kings of fall football weekends for this guy now… and it’s been pretty damn freeing on so many levels!

I’ve yet to express my opinion on Morris. I do think your evaluation method of wins, losses, and nothing else is incredibly naive and wildly different than how all of the NFL would look at this. He was a head coach like 10 years ago. That’s your lone data point?

Did you think Richt was a good hire at Miami? Or because you saw it up close, you knew that his best days were behind him and it wasn’t going to work out there. My guess is the latter. Yes, winning matters. Of course. But to only look at that is silly.
Like I said, one day you will get your wish and teams will stop keeping score and coaches records will not matter. You don’t need to respond anymore, I understand that winning doesn’t matter to you.

Being a 76 year-old white male who grew up in the rural south during the 1950s and 60s, I am thoroughly versed in Jim Crow and segregation. I would play pick up games many afternoons with Black friends (and we would have some fantastic games… some of these guys were very talented), the white political power structure would not allow these same young people to attend white schools; they were relegated to the Black schools where they received an inferior education. I didn’t understand it, didn’t agree with it, but I was powerless to make any kind of change. What I could do was what my parents taught me to do, and that was too “love my neighbor as myself,” and to “do unto others, as I would have them do unto me,” and this included my Black friends.

I agree with you about Morris. He has an infectious personality. He is certainly one of the few guys anywhere who has been a passing game coordinator on offense and defensive coordinator during his same tenure with a team. Also being their head coach for a little bit. He was the head coach for the falcons for 11 games.

I will root hard for him, but he was 17-31 as a head coach prior to this. 4-7 as an interim coach with the falcons. I have no idea how we were able to pry him away and hire him. Smh. He comes highly recommended. Let’s see if the third time is the charm. Better find a qb or this will be a short run.

Last edited:
Reactions: easychair
Wait...............how does a 56 year old grow up in the 50's? lol
Spin Out Car GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Did you know he is the first black head coach in Falcons history? WGAS just win.

• Love
Reactions: Kylo Ren
So you were born in 1958, you were to young to remember anything about the 1950's or even the early 1960"s.
Born in 57. Sisters 9 and 12 years older than me.

Music wise, I know every 50’s song because I heard it every day. On the Popeye Club twice and watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Remember Southwest Atlanta High School football games at Grady stadium with my sister cheering. She graduated in 1964.

Spent many hours in the Colonial in Cascade Heights and Woolworth in Campbellton Plaza. Later in the 60’s, ate at the first Chick fil a at Greenbriar Mall the first week it opened, family had season tickets to the Falcons first year in Atlanta and attended Cracker games at Ponce de Leon Park.

Never claimed to remember anything. I was just making fun of two old guys. But my 60’s memories and 50’s knowledge is still pretty vivid thanks to living it and older sisters who made me aware of it.

Still pretty proud of being on the Popeye Club……..

Are you saying that all of the other Falcon head coaching hires were not grown ass me?
No. Just saying that instead of all the black guy got a job rhetoric, I give him the benefit of the doubt for just being a grown ass man that earned the job on his merit as a grown ass man.

If you think differently, it takes one to recognize one.

You can like him and at the same time be worried. This staff he is putting together is full of guys that are on the field coaches for the first time. A couple of the position coaches were not even in football last year.

Reactions: USA1DOG
I’m a results based person. Period. He is a great speaker. Talk is cheap. Being a life long Falcons fan. I hope he wins multiple Super Bowls here.

Who is basing things on the color of his skin?

Last edited:
Anyone that uses an interim record against Morris or any other coach needs to get out of the conversation. They were interim because the head coach failed miserably over an extended amount of time.

Even if you did look at his interim year, they were 0-5 when he took over. They then went 4-2 over next 6 games and then lost the last 5 games with 4 of them one-score affairs. As an interim, that looks pretty damn solid to steady a sinking ship.

Anyone that uses an interim record against Morris or any other coach needs to get out of the conversation. They were interim because the head coach failed miserably over an extended amount of time.

Even if you did look at his interim year, they were 0-5 when he took over. They then went 4-2 over next 6 games and then lost the last 5 games with 4 of them one-score affairs. As an interim, that looks pretty damn solid to steady a sinking ship.
So give us his record as a head coach then. The way you want it to sound?

No. Just saying that instead of all the black guy got a job rhetoric, I give him the benefit of the doubt for just being a grown ass man that earned the job on his merit as a grown ass man.

If you think differently, it takes one to recognize one.
I’m pulling for coach Morris to be a great haed coach for the Falcons. But his record as a head coach at TPA was not good. We will see how he does over the next couple of years. For the record, I do not look at a persons skin color when I’m hiring somebody, I look at their qualifications, previous work history, communication skills, etc.

He will be seventh head coach in 21 years for A. Blank. Keep changing coaches with essentially same results. Often been said teams don't win champonships organizations do. Falcon's need a serious culture change. Culture comes from the top down. Don't see anything going on there that indicates a culture change is on the way.

I don't care about the color of the man's skin. Morris brings an infectious optimism to a fan base that desperately needs it after the sappy slogans of the Quinn era and the "I'm smarter than everyone" sullenness of the Smith era. The man looked the fan base in the eye and offered an honest take on his vision and his plan to get there. Talk is cheap for sure, but at least it was worthwhile talk. I hope for the best for this franchise, regardless of whether they ever take another Dawg in the draft. Maybe the Falcons backed into it, but the Morris hire looks like the best possible option of the ones we had a realistic shot at.

Agreed! I, too, will be pulling for Raheem to succeed in the A T L. Okay, he has a great smile and maybe a great personality but come on. He's been a HC and an interim HC too but he has a miserable record! Yes, he is a minority in this time of "push minorities for HC jobs" in the NFL and in NCAA as well. He will fit in in Atlanta, the "Black Mecca" but his apparent qualifications are: 1) a great personality, 2) a permanent smile and 3) he's black.
Let's hope that by hiring Morris King Arthur has finally done something right!

I’m pulling for coach Morris to be a great haed coach for the Falcons. But his record as a head coach at TPA was not good. We will see how he does over the next couple of years. For the record, I do not look at a persons skin color when I’m hiring somebody, I look at their qualifications, previous work history, communication skills, etc.
Do you know who else had a losing record at their first stops? Belichick, parcels, Mike Shanahan, shula... not saying Raheem will do the same but judging a coach based on their first job is fickle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT