ADVERTISEMENT

Appalachian Bluegrass

Zonadog

War Daddy
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
So we can all take a little break, this is Nita Talley, who was 90 years old at the time of this recording, channeling her inner Kristofferson. The guitar player is her son, Gary Talley, a founding member of the Box Tops. The harmony singer is Belinda Leslie, also a pro.

I can think of any number of top name performers whose voice failed them long before her age. Her control is very good, let alone for a 90 year old. This was recorded in her apartment with basic equipment. Excellent source of feelgoods.

Last edited:
So we can all take a little break, this is Nita Talley, who was 90 years old at the time of this recording, channeling her inner Kristofferson. The guitar player is her son, Gary Talley, a founding member of the Box Tops. The harmony singer is Belinda Leslie, also a pro.

I can think of any number of top name performers whose voice failed them long before her age. Her control is very good, let alone for a 90 year old. This was recorded in her apartment with basic equipment. Excellent source of feelgoods.

She is pretty amazing and her son looks good for 77 yo. The Box Tops were first to record The Letter, a great song covered by many. I remember them well. Glad you posted. I enjoyed it.

She is pretty amazing and her son looks good for 77 yo. The Box Tops were first to record The Letter, a great song covered by many. I remember them well. Glad you posted. I enjoyed it.
That's right. I didn't get too far into the Box Tops tangent, but its relevant here. Wasn't sure how many would recognize them. When Alex Chilton passed away, the band stopped performing.

Gary Talley had some time on his hands, so he made a video with his mom. That went viral, so he made more, and eventually recorded 3 CD's with her and Belinda Leslie. Mom also plays piano on some songs.

Here's the Box Tops from 2001, while Chilton was still healthy. You'll see a lot of Gary Talley just to the left.

That's right. I didn't get too far into the Box Tops tangent, but its relevant here. Wasn't sure how many would recognize them. When Alex Chilton passed away, the band stopped performing.

Gary Talley had some time on his hands, so he made a video with his mom. That went viral, so he made more, and eventually recorded 3 CD's with her and Belinda Leslie. Mom also plays piano on some songs.

Here's the Box Tops from 2001, while Chilton was still healthy. You'll see a lot of Gary Talley just to the left.

That took me back to AM radio And simpler times. Tedeschi Trucks does a great cover of The Letter. And of course Joe Cocker spastics it up in his wonderful way. Started to say inimitable way, but actually Belushi did Cocker better than Joe did. This is an interesting write-up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letter_(Box_Tops_song)

excellent!

Reactions: deadduckdawg

Always loved the Box Tops.....Cry like a Baby and You keep me hanging on ..were great like The Letter.....great stuff

I think The Letter and Green Beret were the major summer hits in 1967. Played in rotation, at least once per hour, no more than every two

Reactions: woofn
If he is 77 in that video then she had him when she was 13. 😎 😂

Reactions: deadduckdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT