ADVERTISEMENT

Doesn’t get any better than Drive-By Truckers.

SRO, Decoration Day and The Dirty South was the sweet spot IMO. Great songs in most of the other albums, but those three were fire.

I’m a big fan of Carl Perkins Cadillac and Lookout Mountain. Decoration Day is probably what I consider to be one of their best songs (although Zip City is pretty good too).

Reactions: studawg170 II
Pizza Deliverance through DIrty South was unquestionably their best songwriting era, though ganstabilly has good songs before then and they’ve had some good ones since.

Politics has always been in their music, it’s just become more overt over the years. That mirrors the rest of society too though.

All the songwriters are from North Alabama. Not exactly a liberal enclave

Reactions: Leftygunslinger7
Man, they’ve always been political, but it’s gotten to be too much. But I agree, they are awesome.
Maybe cumulatively to you it has. But their level of politics hasn’t increased. The first 4-5 albums couldn’t be much more political. SRO especially.

Reactions: MancDawg
They used to be my favorite band, but I left them when they got so political. Hearing about politics isn't relaxing or fun so I don't need it in my music.

Maybe cumulatively to you it has. But their level of politics hasn’t increased. The first 4-5 albums couldn’t be much more political. SRO especially.
It definitely seems like it’s becoming more overt. But like I said, I still love their music and listen to it.

Reactions: ARealMunson
Pizza Deliverance.

Last night I slept with my boots on again,
One cut on my forehead and one my chin,
On the hard old floor with nothin to cover up with.
You got me real good, girl, and I must admit,
You pack purty mean punch for such a pretty little bitch.
And it's a shame to know most folks don't ever know love like this.

I hired Cooley to play a benefit show last year. He’s an amazing storyteller and songwriter. His songwriting process takes years. “Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say.... ”

ps. Rhett Miller of Old 97’s is our headliner this year. He’s a helluva songwriter too.
The "Stroker Ace" has got to be the most under appreciated song writer of all time. His Cooleyisms are so damn deep.

I think the greatest song he ever wrote is "Space City". When you come to understand what he's singing about, you'll be cutting onions.

It definitely seems like it’s becoming more overt. But like I said, I still love their music and listen to it.
I’d say the first albums were more social commentary. A lot of the topics covered fuel politics. Especially now a days. (The ol Brannon adage that politics lives down stream from society comes to mind.). The last few albums are literally talking about the political process and politicians. No comment on which is “better” but I personally prefer the former albums and feel they will have more lasting power. Just imo.

I’d say the first albums were more social commentary. A lot of the topics covered fuel politics. Especially now a days. (The ol Brannon adage that politics lives down stream from society comes to mind.). The last few albums are literally talking about the political process and politicians. No comment on which is “better” but I personally prefer the former albums and feel they will have more lasting power. Just imo.
That's exactly right. My favorite example of the social commentary with political cause and effect and enriched with great storytelling is the Uncle Frank (Cooley) / TVA (Isbell) pairing.

Both songs tells stories of individuals who had their lives ruined (Uncle Frank) or enriched and bettered (TVA) by one of the most well known government initiatives in the 20th Century. You can't say Cooley was anti-TVA or that Isbell was necessarily pro-TVA (though his song seems more like he would come at it from that angle), but they both clearly feature the TVA as having a huge impact on people's lives. Just masterful storytelling.

That's exactly right. My favorite example of the social commentary with political cause and effect and enriched with great storytelling is the Uncle Frank (Cooley) / TVA (Isbell) pairing.

Both songs tells stories of individuals who had their lives ruined (Uncle Frank) or enriched and bettered (TVA) by one of the most well known government initiatives in the 20th Century. You can't say Cooley was anti-TVA or that Isbell was necessarily pro-TVA (though his song seems more like he would come at it from that angle), but they both clearly feature the TVA as having a huge impact on people's lives. Just masterful storytelling.

There's an American Studies professor from Temple University that appears on their "The Secret to a Happy Ending" documentary who states the lyrics of "Uncle Frank" did a better job in five minutes of explaining to his students what happened with the whole TVA thing than he did in an entire semester.

There's an American Studies professor from Temple University that appears on their "The Secret to a Happy Ending" documentary who states the lyrics of "Uncle Frank" did a better job in five minutes of explaining to his students what happened with the whole TVA thing than he did in an entire semester.
Haven't seen that documentary but need to check it out.

As good as Isbell and Hood are as songwriters, I don't think there is any songwriter ever with less wasted words than Cooley. He's obviously not as prolific as many others, but that dude doesn't waste a word or line. Every turn of phrase is packed with significance.

Been a long time since I’ve seen it but I very much enjoyed it when I did. Isn’t that the one with Isbell getting interviewed in the wood-paneled with teeth so wine stained purple you could hardly see them? May need to revisit that one soon.

Reactions: TanyardDawg520
Been a long time since I’ve seen it but I very much enjoyed it when I did. Isn’t that the one with Isbell getting interviewed in the wood-paneled with teeth so wine stained purple you could hardly see them? May need to revisit that one soon.

I need to watch it again as well...It's been at least five years since I have.

Yes, they show a clip of Isbell at some point while still with DBT and he looks horrible to say the least.

SRO was fantastic, the rest before just good. Isbell pushed Hood and Cooley to different levels, he was clearly the most talented natural song writer, he made them compete. Since then, meh. As you said above SRO, Decoration Day (my God), and DS were the high water mark.
IMO, no way was Isbell clearly the most talented song writer among the three of them. Cooley's stuff was and is incredible. I think Cooley is better, he just doesn't have the voice Isbell has.

GovtMuleFlames-1.gif
Seen them in Asheville a couple months back. On of the best concerts I've ever been too

Reactions: GrantParkDawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT