ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Brix stated we could reach 100K > 200K dead EVEN IF we

As an aside some data released in Charleston today showing that of the 5085 tests in the state...18% have come back positive. I find this interesting in that it is the first data I have seen showing the number of negative tests rather than just the bad news. Have to assume that you can extrapolate this ratio nationally as well. Would like to see more numbers

Stay safe folks.

During one of the pressers the US Surgeon General stated that only 10% of those tested so far tested positive.

@JaxDawg07

200,000 is not a "small number" relative or otherwise. For perspective we "only" lost 56,000 in Vietnam. Projected totals are far, far, ahead of the 8,000 lost in a 20 year war on terrorism. U.S. lost 400,000 in WWII so it could be 50% that number in a matter of months. Staggering losses from this virus. I'm hoping it's way less than any of the projections but the calls are based upon factual data.
Come on, man. You are conflating things that don’t make sense for dramatic effect. Last year the flu killed 34,000 people in the U.S. and the year before it killed 61,000 per CDC estimates. That’s nearly 100,000 people in 24 months, but people don’t run around every year making histrionic comparisons of flu deaths vs WWII and 9/11.

Covid is a serious crisis, clearly much worse of a burden on our health system than the flu. But hysteria and exaggerated comparisons only make people either more resistant to what needs to be done or paralyzed with fear. Neither is helpful.

Over a 7 day period last week, the number jumped 20x in the US. It is now doubling about every 3-4 days. It was doubling every 2 days. A 4 day doubling on exponential growth means the total would double more than 3x in 2 weeks. That's infected not dead.

That means we will be well north of 1.2 million infected in 2 weeks. Here's how the math works.

Right now, there are > 150k in the US

150,000 x2 = 300 (4 days from now)
300,000 x2 = 600 (8 days from now)
600,000 x2 = 1,200,000 (12 days from now)
And that's 2,400,000 in 16 days.

Current fatality rate is 1.8%. That means in 16 days we will 43,000 dead in 16 days. And you would double that in 4 days. So yeah....having 100k dead in 20 days and 200k dead before the end of the month of April isn't hard math to figure out. And there are models which are much, much worse.

In reality...the # of new cases will explode starting late this week as the new test kits and capacity comes online. Does that mean the death rate will explode? No.

The death rate will explode when the hospital systems of NYC, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago and other cities are overrun and the ability to save borderline cases collapses.

Right now an awful lot is riding on a viral cocktail that may or may not work.

What does that mean? Absolutely NOTHING. Static models don't work, never will, to many variables. Now if you simply want panic and drama, carry on, otherwise, this is about as accurate as the early calculations that said we'd have millions dead, or the polls that said, President Hillary Clinton.

@JaxDawg07

200,000 is not a "small number" relative or otherwise. For perspective we "only" lost 56,000 in Vietnam. Projected totals are far, far, ahead of the 8,000 lost in a 20 year war on terrorism. U.S. lost 400,000 in WWII so it could be 50% that number in a matter of months. Staggering losses from this virus. I'm hoping it's way less than any of the projections but the calls are based upon factual data.

Comparing that to war is, well, very strange.

To call the loss "staggering" is just a gross overstatement.

And you are wrong, again. This time about the accuracy of what you yourself posted. And I quote...

"Fauci said today it will be a success if only 200k Americans die from the Rona, so...."

Not only did Fauci not say that, at all, but you completely omitted the lower number.

As stated above, I'm back on Team Hoax.

Well...it's hard to keep doubling on large numbers. That's true. That's why we're only jumping every 4 days instead of 2 days. BUT...it's also hard to increase the count accurately when you don't have enough tests coming online. And when there's a 4 day lag on test results.

When we bring on the additional testing capacity this week that's being projected I suspect the total # of cases will go up much more than 1.2m in 12 days.

We'll see.

We'll add ~40k today by midnight. We added ~20k on Friday and Saturday. And the big bump in testing capacity hasn't hit yet.

I agree on the lack of testing. That is freaking criminal. We had something like 2600 cases in GA and had only done 12,000 some odd tests a day or two back. Not knowing the scope and how it's affecting various subgroups other than those who are so sick they HAVE to be tested is simply ridiculous and pathetic. We are missing a lot of information that we need.to make informed decisions.

For perspective, 2,800,000 Americans die every year. 100,000-200,000 is still a lot of people. Hopefully the numbers don't get that high, who knows at this point.

Exactly, and even though nobody wants their demise accelerated, a good portion of the 100-200K that die with covid 19 present would likely have been in the 2.8 number regardless. At the end of the yr, if we are at 3 mil total deaths and 200K covid 19 deaths, that will tell us one thing. If we are at 2,800,010 total deaths with 200K deaths with covid 19 present, it will tell us a different story.

Reactions: kubi13
Come on, man. You are conflating things that don’t make sense for dramatic effect. Last year the flu killed 34,000 people in the U.S. and the year before it killed 61,000 per CDC estimates. That’s nearly 100,000 people in 24 months, but people don’t run around every year making histrionic comparisons of flu deaths vs WWII and 9/11.

Covid is a serious crisis, clearly much worse of a burden on our health system than the flu. But hysteria and exaggerated comparisons only make people either more resistant to what needs to be done or paralyzed with fear. Neither is helpful.
Knowledge is power. It illustrates the importance of everyone acting in a responsible way. Facts v known facts is neither hysteria, conflating, nor exaggerateing in any way. Merely pointing out the comparative numbers v historical events is enlightening for comparison. Deaths of 100,000 deaths is 40,000 more v flue; or it could be 160,000 more. That's the reality from Dr. Brix. I hope the death total is way less than flu.

At this point I've decided nobody has a damn clue...they're all guessing. Fauci downplayed this virus in the beginning.

Everyone is learning as they go. They'll have a new guess tomorrow. I actually think the constant revisions of their guesses are doing more harm than good. Just say you don't know.
They've got a pretty good damn clue that it's transmitted person to person now. He did not know that when he downplayed it. It was very early and the Chinese were denying personal transmission. We don't rely on China's info anymore. We got first row chairs for this now.

Reactions: ugafish
It's not spreading fear. The very facts you illustrate point to how big a failure the WH and some governors's response has been. It's not spreading fear as many folks have or are having episodes with Covid19 and are low or totally asymptomatic. People feel "fine" and go about their lives without ever being tested BUT are infecting others. It points out how flawed the WH and most governor's responses have been in not being adequately aggressive. Like leaving beaches open. As for Cuomo (getting caught...BS) I don't blame him one bit for trying to get out ahead of his immediate needs re ventilators. Kudos to him and it's the right thing to do. Wish Kemp would do same JIC.
So much for no political threads. This is as political as it gets.

Reactions: theboyracer45
do everything right. That is scary as hayul, folks. Dammit.
Fauci said same the day before, yet IDIOTS everywhere won't HEED them,as evidenced all over parks,beaches,etc.,to the point where a mayor in Ky,after seeing large #s of his constituents crowded into a park,said,"Listen up DIP$HITS.............." and proceeded to chew them a new one. Only takes ONE death ,as long as it's ONE of THEIRS, for people who infected a loved one, to FINALLY get SOME PEOPLE'S ATTENTION.-- F'n FOOLS.

Last edited:
Exactly, and even though nobody wants their demise accelerated, a good portion of the 100-200K that die with covid 19 present would likely have been in the 2.8 number regardless. At the end of the yr, if we are at 3 mil total deaths and 200K covid 19 deaths, that will tell us one thing. If we are at 2,800,010 total deaths with 200K deaths with covid 19 present, it will tell us a different story.

Sort of. You also have to control for the fact that deaths are down overall due to people mainly hanging out at home.

I don't know that I would put any faith in the mortality rate...

To me the way to calculate it would be deaths over deaths + recovered, not deaths over total cases. Even then, with actual cases being much higher (is it 2x? 10x?) than reported due to testing, we really have no idea.

And we have been adding ~20k cases per day - right now at 16k for today with about 3 hrs left in today's numbers.

We can have an idea of the denominator all it takes is a little digging and some simple math and logic.

Iceland which had their first positive test on 2/28 has as of yesterday tested 16,443 people. The population of Iceland is 364,000. So they have tested 4.5% of their total population. This is the highest number of tested as a ratio of a population in the world by about 5 times South Koreas ratio. They have found 1086 positives so far. They are also doing substantial random testing of people not just testing suspected cases. So far around half the people that have been found positive have no symptoms. Some of those asympomatic will develop symptoms later but how many? They have 30 people in the hospital and 10 in intensive care with 2 deaths.

So now let's do some math

1086 confirmed cases out of 364,000 population is 0.3% of the countries population. 0.3% of the US's 320,000,000 population would 953,846 people. Since they obviously haven't found all cases since they are still finding cases daily then that number is too low. Let's keep figuring. Another way to look at it, would that of the people that Iceland has tested 7% (1086/16443) have been positive. That would be over 21 million infected if we applied that ratio to the US! That number would be likely be too high as it would contain people who got tested because they felt ill so a somewhat self selecting population. So on we go with more figuring. They break their testing down by the tests done by their health institute and by a private company that is doing a study. The rate of positives for the health institute is 13% of tests. The rate of positives for Decode Genetics (the private company doing a study) is 0.8% (71/8,694). That appears to be on relatively random sample of people. That number 0.8% seems like the best current estimate in the entire world for the ratio of infected for a given population with a infection start date of 2/28. That would be 2,613,000 infected in America but our first infection was a month earlier so that ratio is likely higher for us. Iceland also implemented social distancing policies before most of the US. Do your own analysis https://www.covid.is/data if you don't believe me.

While it is true that we have no idea what the total number of infected is, it is likely already in the 7 figures in the US and 8 figures worldwide.

Extra credit
Go look at https://www.euromomo.eu/index.html and draw your own conclusions and then check back late this week to see if that conclusion changes when they update for this week.

Last edited:
Please stay scared as hell but quit trying to scare other people. You continually try to scare the hell out of people and you have no ****ing clue what you are talking about. You send miss information to make your hysteria look normal.

Please stay scared as hell but quit trying to scare other people. You continually try to scare the hell out of people and you have no ****ing clue what you are talking about. You send miss information to make your hysteria look normal.

should post this 3 times not twice

Reactions: celticdawg
It's not spreading fear. The very facts you illustrate point to how big a failure the WH and some governors's response has been. It's not spreading fear as many folks have or are having episodes with Covid19 and are low or totally asymptomatic. People feel "fine" and go about their lives without ever being tested BUT are infecting others. It points out how flawed the WH and most governor's responses have been in not being adequately aggressive.
I'm not going to touch the political stuff as it isn't pertinent.
As you eloquently stated many folks have covid 19 with practically no symptoms. Millions. Probably 10s of millions. You are in charge. What do you do? I'll help you. It's past containment. Way past. There was never a chance to contain a respiratory virus. Unless you do it at the point of a gun, and I'm not sure that worked in China.

Yes there are some very sick people, and some have died, and more will. Some will get sick in the future, and more will die. We are at the mountain top. It's the end of flu season. Respiratory viruses don't fare well in the heat. Sure it can continue to spread in the summer, but it will be much slower. Hospitalizations and deaths will decline as the temperature rises. Whatever remains in the summer will be managed with our resources. Herd immunity will begin to play roll by fall. Total death numbers will not be any worse than a moderate flu season if that high. Unfortunately it is what it is, and we are doing all we can. We will win more than we lose. Sadly people do die, and we do all that we can after that it is out of our hands. Outside of an effective antiviral or vaccine we are doing all we can.
Have hope not fear.
As for Cuomo (getting caught...BS) I don't blame him one bit for trying to get out ahead of his immediate needs re ventilators. Kudos to him and it's the right thing to do.
I'm calling your BS
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...stockpile-of-thousands-of-unused-ventilators/
Getting on TV everyday and complaining he doesn't have the supplies when he does. It's political grandstanding, and causing a panic and fear when we need it the least. Medically we got this. Hospitals are fine. We have capacity and vents everywhere, and hospitals are working with each other and other medical facilities to move patients to make room if needed. Americans truly shines when the pressure is on.

Watch this. It will make you feel better. The American medical system is 3rd Army.
Now you know how I feel.

At this point I've decided nobody has a damn clue...they're all guessing. Fauci downplayed this virus in the beginning.

Everyone is learning as they go. They'll have a new guess tomorrow. I actually think the constant revisions of their guesses are doing more harm than good. Just say you don't know.
Fauci has not downplayed the virus.

Reactions: 808 Dawg
100k-200k seems like a high number until you realize we have over 320 million people living in the country legally

It is a high number. These are peoples lives. Not a high percentage - yes, but losing >100K people is a lot.

Last edited:
I’m curious, are NYC subways still operating? I’m blown away by how things have just exploded in that state even after everyone was warned. If I was mayor, I would shut the subways down. It would suck for a lot of people but those things are enclosed contagion death traps.
Closing the subway here is really not an option. It would cripple the health care system. People would not be able to get to work. We are already struggling keeping up with providers as is. The subways are empty as only the people that have to use it do. That isn't the problem.

The mayor gambled the wrong way with the schools. It was another one of these impossible decisions. Close the schools and there are a lot of kids who won't get a meal, but by keeping it open he gave the virus more energy to spread.

Reactions: 808 Dawg
Yep. We're starting to see why delaying restrictions a few weeks has disproportionate consequences.

Could you imagine if POTUS not gone against the grain and not ordered the ban on China travel on Jan. 27? It would have been much much worse. Also, the Chinese New Year parade in Manhattan at the end of Feb. was a horrible move. Tough to get everything right in this situation.

Knowledge is power. It illustrates the importance of everyone acting in a responsible way. Facts v known facts is neither hysteria, conflating, nor exaggerateing in any way. Merely pointing out the comparative numbers v historical events is enlightening for comparison. Deaths of 100,000 deaths is 40,000 more v flue; or it could be 160,000 more. That's the reality from Dr. Brix. I hope the death total is way less than flu.
Bullshit. You are not trying to distribute knowledge, you are trying to spread fear and show how smart you are.

wait wait, didn’t you hear? Fauci pulled the fire alarm and we Re all supposed to run for our lives. This country is acting like it got a pre-virus lobotomy

Where did I say anything about an exact number? I quoted Birx directly. If you have an issue with what I wrote write to her.
An estimate is not a fact. If 112,487 people had died, that would be a fact. Saying that between 100k and 200k people will die is a guess. “Facts” and “Guesses” are two different things.

Reactions: SnowSkiDawg
Over a 7 day period last week, the number jumped 20x in the US. It is now doubling about every 3-4 days. It was doubling every 2 days. A 4 day doubling on exponential growth means the total would double more than 3x in 2 weeks. That's infected not dead.

That means we will be well north of 1.2 million infected in 2 weeks. Here's how the math works.

Right now, there are > 150k in the US

150,000 x2 = 300 (4 days from now)
300,000 x2 = 600 (8 days from now)
600,000 x2 = 1,200,000 (12 days from now)
And that's 2,400,000 in 16 days.

Current fatality rate is 1.8%. That means in 16 days we will 43,000 dead in 16 days. And you would double that in 4 days. So yeah....having 100k dead in 20 days and 200k dead before the end of the month of April isn't hard math to figure out. And there are models which are much, much worse.

In reality...the # of new cases will explode starting late this week as the new test kits and capacity comes online. Does that mean the death rate will explode? No.

The death rate will explode when the hospital systems of NYC, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago and other cities are overrun and the ability to save borderline cases collapses.

Right now an awful lot is riding on a viral cocktail that may or may not work.

I was chastised by another poster in this in a different thread .

The reality of this thing is starting to really set in and yet some folks are still in denial .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT