ADVERTISEMENT

Endangered Species Act went into effect in 1973

Where in America are people hunting zoo animals?
On your Texas 60,000 acre high fence pen. The animals largely com from zoos and circuses and are bred on the ranches themselves or by breeders who sell the offspring to the ranchers. When the zoo animal gets too old, it becomes a target. To each his own, but I think it is pathetic. If you did not know this, just google "hunting zoo animals in Texas". You'll also read how important this is to conservation, which is bullshit to me. They're conserving them so some lazy hunter can kill them for a meaningless trophy.

There are some game parks in Africa which do a good job culling populations, selling hunting licenses, using the money toward conservation. Most are just as corrupt as everything else in Africa. I've been to a couple dozen of the game parks there, but never wanted to hunt. I've also read all the Peter Hathaway Capstick, Robert Ruark, and Roosevelt safari books.

Reactions: DawgHammarskjold
On your Texas 60,000 acre high fence pen. The animals largely com from zoos and circuses and are bred on the ranches themselves or by breeders who sell the offspring to the ranchers. When the zoo animal gets too old, it becomes a target. To each his own, but I think it is pathetic. If you did not know this, just google "hunting zoo animals in Texas". You'll also read how important this is to conservation, which is bullshit to me. They're conserving them so some lazy hunter can kill them for a meaningless trophy.

There are some game parks in Africa which do a good job culling populations, selling hunting licenses, using the money toward conservation. Most are just as corrupt as everything else in Africa. I've been to a couple dozen of the game parks there, but never wanted to hunt. I've also read all the Peter Hathaway Capstick, Robert Ruark, and Roosevelt safari books.
To each his own I guess. Lots of animals are breed and turned loose on large properties. 60,000 acres is 100 square miles. I see no difference in this hunting and white tail hunting in 200 acres in middle Georgia that is planted with minerals etc to keep and retain deer. The reality is game ranching has saved multiple African species that otherwise would have become extinct in the wild the scimitar horned oryx and white rhino to name a few. Animals counts in South Africa have exploded into the 20 millions vs the hundreds of thousand present in the late 60s, contrast that to Kenya whose animal population has declined since outlawing hunting in 1977.

Hunting, even game ranch hunting, is providing an economic value on wildlife that otherwise would not be there. A poacher gets $1000 for a rhino horn a hunter pays $200,000 to hunt the rhino the $200,000 goes to employ the poacher, maintain habitat, even guard the animal from poaching, if that is not species preservation/conservation I don’t know what is.

I agree that shooting drugged lions in a 1acre pen is not hunting yet in a perverse non sporting way it helps maintain the species, better to allow people to breed the species than have cattle farmers poison all the cats in Africa and they become extinct.

I have hunted all over Africa - Tanzania, Mozambique, Namibia, SA, Cameroon, Burkina Faso and Botswana. Hunting on a 64,000 hectares ranch in Namibia was no different than hunting on a 1 million acre block in Mozambique.

To each his own I guess. Lots of animals are breed and turned loose on large properties. 60,000 acres is 100 square miles. I see no difference in this hunting and white tail hunting in 200 acres in middle Georgia that is planted with minerals etc to keep and retain deer. The reality is game ranching has saved multiple African species that otherwise would have become extinct in the wild the scimitar horned oryx and white rhino to name a few. Animals counts in South Africa have exploded into the 20 millions vs the hundreds of thousand present in the late 60s, contrast that to Kenya whose animal population has declined since outlawing hunting in 1977.

Hunting, even game ranch hunting, is providing an economic value on wildlife that otherwise would not be there. A poacher gets $1000 for a rhino horn a hunter pays $200,000 to hunt the rhino the $200,000 goes to employ the poacher, maintain habitat, even guard the animal from poaching, if that is not species preservation/conservation I don’t know what is.

I agree that shooting drugged lions in a 1acre pen is not hunting yet in a perverse non sporting way it helps maintain the species, better to allow people to breed the species than have cattle farmers poison all the cats in Africa and they become extinct.

I have hunted all over Africa - Tanzania, Mozambique, Namibia, SA, Cameroon, Burkina Faso and Botswana. Hunting on a 64,000 hectares ranch in Namibia was no different than hunting on a 1 million acre block in Mozambique.
I used to go to Burkina Faso when it was Upper Volta. What a dump. Ouagadougou had one paved road.

Reactions: DawgHammarskjold
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT