ADVERTISEMENT

Graduation fraud in GA and US

DoubleDawg7276

Letterman and National Champion
Jan 2, 2013
Had an 8th grade public school teacher tell me he taught four academic classes of 25 kids.

Since the pandemic he says in two classes, 50 kids will make zero because they won't even turn in a test.

In a third class half will flunk and half will pass. His last class, all 25 will pass.

He gave any kid who turned in a blank paper with their name on it 50 points to start, so all they needed to pass was 20 more points.

And they still refused to even turn in the paper.

However, he is absolutely required to pass all 100 kids.

So getting off the bus in the 9th grade are 66% of the kids who have done absolutely nothing academically their 7th and 8th grade year. Nothing.

Now in high school they have to pass at least 23 credits, including four hours in English, Math, Science and Social Studies and 3 in foreign language etc plus 4 electives.

Seriously? After doing absolutely nothing in middle school?

There's no attendance requirement anymore (used to be if you missed 6 days, you had to go to summer school).

Amazingly, the high school (as all in Georgia) has a graduation rate of almost 90%.

And that's what public schools are judged on (graduation rates).

Tell me there's no graduation fraud in Georgia (and in the US).

It's an absolute joke.

giphy.gif

Had an 8th grade public school teacher tell me he taught four academic classes of 25 kids.

Since the pandemic he says in two classes, 50 kids will make zero because they won't even turn in a test.

In a third class half will flunk and half will pass. His last class, all 25 will pass.

He gave any kid who turned in a blank paper with their name on it 50 points to start, so all they needed to pass was 20 more points.

So getting off the bus in the 9th grade are 66% of the kids who have done absolutely nothing academically their 7th and 8th grade year. Nothing.

Now in high school they have to pass at least 23 credits, including four hours in English, Math, Science and Social Studies and 3 in foreign language etc plus 4 electives.

There's no attendance requirement anymore (used to be if you missed 6 days, you had to go to summer school).

Amazingly, the high school (as all in Georgia) has a graduation rate of almost 90%.

It's an absolute joke.
It starts younger than that. My wife was an elementary school teacher in GA and she had a meeting with the principle the last day of school because she turned in grades and failed 5 kids. In said meeting she was told to make sure those kids passed and could go to middle school. I made her email the principle to clarify so if something bad ever happened she would have it in writing that she was just doing as she was told by the her superior.

Lack of importance on education at the most basic level is one of a handful of things that will make me lose my mind. But then again that has been a cultural shift over the last few decades as "respect" has become so polarized (or complete lack of it)

It's an absolute joke.
There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. I'm an educator, and I made the move from public to private a few years ago in part because of this.

It starts at home…if you’re not involved in your kids education and don’t follow closely or even care then this is where kids are headed. So sick of the woke and participation crowd…if you want something then these kids need to learn attainable goals, show effort and be held accountable by their parents.

It starts younger than that. My wife was an elementary school teacher in GA and she had a meeting with the principle the last day of school because she turned in grades and failed 5 kids. In said meeting she was told to make sure those kids passed and could go to middle school. I made her email the principle to clarify so if something bad ever happened she would have it in writing that she was just doing as she was told by the her superior.

Lack of importance on education at the most basic level is one of a handful of things that will make me lose my mind. But then again that has been a cultural shift over the last few decades as "respect" has become so polarized (or complete lack of it)
Maybe she could even teach them the difference in the word "principal" and "principle."
😁

It's an absolute joke.
can we make generalizations from one middle school teacher? We dont even know the class....is it an academic class...but middle school is a survive and advance.....I agree our education system is a joke compared to other dev nations but so is our healthcare and the people in power dont seem to want to fix anything.

When my son first made the baseball team and I went to the parent meeting the coach said we have "a zero, zero policy"....I didnt know what that meant so I asked and he said no baseball player could have a 0 on any assignment. I was a little shocked that there are so many 0s that warranted a have a policy. This was 10-12 years ago.

The best students today are better/smarter/harder workers eYeahtc than older generations.

The middle tier students are behind where ouldes were.

The bottom tier students….God help us all.
I was thinking this same thing. My son was learning stuff and doing work in 7-8th grade that I didn't touch until 11-12th grade and I was top 3% of high school class and honors program at UGA. He is advancing so much faster than I did. The opportunity is there for those that grab it and have parental support etc. The disparity and gap between the top and the bottom will only continue to grow.

That’s not true at all, and I’m not going to let you get away with it.
That’s fine, the expectations for top tier students due to demands of elite colleges have them doing significantly more work with both classes as well as ECs than previous generations.

There are technological advances that also make the access to more information something that we can’t really deny.

I won’t argue that it’s for the better though.

I was thinking this same thing. My son was learning stuff and doing work in 7-8th grade that I didn't touch until 11-12th grade and I was top 3% of high school class and honors program at UGA. He is advancing so much faster than I did. The opportunity is there for those that grab it and have parental support etc. The disparity and gap between the top and the bottom will only continue to grow.
My daughter recently went through the selection process for the Jefferson scholarship at UVA.
I think some of those kids were curing cancer during middle school recess.

Like you said, The ones that have access and want to take advantage are surpassing what we and former generations were doing. It’s what we should want for our kids but also the gap is getting disturbingly wide.

Participation trophies used to be for the kid that was on the bench and never got in the game. Now participation trophies are high school diplomas for 19 year olds that read at a 4th grade level.

Reactions: Lady43

It's an absolute joke.
I think the Ga Legislature wants the public schools to fail the students. They will use this excuse to go to vouchers only. Instead of tax cuts they should fund free breakfast and lunches. I live in a rural North Ga Mountain county. I was told 74% of the students got assisted lunch.

I left teaching 7 years ago, do not regret it one bit. Taught Economics, Computer Programming, and coached swimming. The students were not the issue for me--I expected juvenile behavior from them. I left because I had parents tell me that their kid was my problem from 7am-2pm and an administration that refused to either enforce rules or embrace new ideas for fear they may fail and jeopardize their career path forward.

Then there were fellow teachers. While I worked with some good ones, I was dumbfounded at the number of teachers who kicked and screamed about new ways of doing things. They just flat out didn't want to learn. They had their method and they'll be damned if they changed or adapted for anyone.

The final straw was when I wanted to attend a summer course on programming where I was going to pay out of my own pocket to attend ($15k). It was 12 weeks and would require me to miss the first five days of the school year in order to complete the program. I went to the county program chair and presented what I thought would be a great idea to help kids go further in programming. She said she would take it to the superintendent and see. Came back a few days later, told me it was rejected and I would have to report back at the same time as everyone else. I told her that I would not be signing my new contract and they could find someone else*. I went and did it anyway and have now worked as a software developer for 7 years.

I found out later that she never did ask the superintendent--she just refused the idea on her own.

*They never did find a replacement that lasted more than a semester.

I think the Ga Legislature wants the public schools to fail the students. They will use this excuse to go to vouchers only. Instead of tax cuts they should fund free breakfast and lunches. I live in a rural North Ga Mountain county. I was told 74% of the students got assisted lunch.
Well this is an entirely different issue tax payer funding is having to be used to make sure kids have food(insert this is america.gif)....that should not be the purpose at all.....During covid the schools used the bus runs to deliver meals everyday

Our educational system is an industrial one created 100 some odd years ago meant to prepare kids to go work on factory lines, in mines and in mills. Imagine only using technology that existed 100 years ago today and refusing to modernize. That is what we are doing in our educational system. Until the system modernizes it will continue to grow more backwards as we advance as a society.

The problem is most parents failing to do their job with their children and politicians wanting "everyone" to get a high school diploma to allow for options and hopefully keep prison numbers down, well we all know prison numbers are not down! Most would be shocked at the amount of grandparents having to be parents for their grandchildren.

Reactions: Georgia Jim

It's an absolute joke.
You’re taking his word as gospel and this is the case for all schools.no question the Pandemic was terrible for many kids, parents were responsible for teaching their kids in many cases. Zoom isn’t the best medium for teaching.

Reactions: khonelson
That's not the case at my kid's middle school. A couple of absences and you start getting letters and referrals to truancy officers. Teachers are definitely more lenient these days. They give every opportunity to turn in missing work. I think it sets a bad example for the real world.

That's not the case at my kid's middle school. A couple of absences and you start getting letters and referrals to truancy officers. Teachers are definitely more lenient these days. They give every opportunity to turn in missing work. I think it sets a bad example for the real world.
I agree with you, but a lot of those policies are passed down by administration and we have no choice but to enforce it. Not always the case, obviously, but very common.

The problem is most parents failing to do their job with their children and politicians wanting "everyone" to get a high school diploma to allow for options and hopefully keep prison numbers down, well we all know prison numbers are not down! Most would be shocked at the amount of grandparents having to be parents for their grandchildren.
This isnt new......its happened since most families need dual incomes to survive....

I have a 6th grader that attends North Gwinnett Middle School and that place is the complete opposite of what the OP describes.
My 6th grader goes to Blake Bass in Newnan/Sharpsburg, and it's been outstanding thus far.

However, I know the amount of crap we (society) dump on teachers is absurd, and in schools that are more crowded and even less-resourced, it's not hard to see how quickly it can unravel.

Reactions: bwarren10
Ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up and it’s no longer; teacher, doctor, lawyer, policeman, astronaunt

It’s YouTube or reality star. Sadly you can act like an idiot and get million of followers for practically doing nothing

The best students today are better/smarter/harder workers etc than older generations.

The middle tier students are behind where ouldes were.

The bottom tier students….God help us all.
I do not think that the "best" students are "better/smarter" than their predecessors. If the "best" students now are better than the best students back then, than why was the SAT "dumbed down" by over 300 points since the mid-1980's? If the top students now are smarter and harder working, shouldn't the college board make the SAT more difficult? There are now SAT classes, tutoring, and even ways of gaming the system by getting a doctor's excuse to take the test without a time limit. In some schools, the teachers actually teach to the tests. Outside of the best private and prep schools and the very top public schools, this was unheard of pre-1980. When you are looking at your kids scores, remember this - a 1500 now was a 1200 pre-1984. That is why I laugh when some many folks say they could not have gotten into Georgia back in the day if Georgia had the standards they have now. Throw 300 points on the SAT you took back then and then tell me where you are at.

How many folks on here who took the SAT before 1984 have ever looked at the test? I looked at the Reading and Writing/Language sections back in 2015 when my oldest was preparing to take it. It is absurdly easy, absolutely nothing like it used to be...and they dumbed it down another 100 points since then.

Now, do I believe that the "best" students are working harder? In general, yes, I do believe that is true. They are being told that they have to have 10+ AP/IB classes, community service, a sport, perhaps musical, dramatic, or artistic skills, and something that distinguishes them from the rest of the crowd. It takes organization and discipline to successfully schedule and execute that agenda. I am told by my professor friends that these kids are very-hard working and driven, but no smarter than the parents. The new generation of kids are no more likely to make unique, insightful observations or think out of the box than their parents and grandparents did before them.

Reactions: WyoDawg307
Teachers unions ARE THE MAIN PROBLEM here!! Because of DEI, union leaders won't let teachers give REAL grades!

• Love
Reactions: Lady43
The best students today are better/smarter/harder workers etc than older generations.

The middle tier students are behind where ouldes were. In most public schools there isn't a middle tier. There is Honors/AP and general curriculum and it delineates the Haves and the have nots academically.

The bottom tier students….God help us all. CORRECT a lost generation indeed.
Fixed it for you.

Wife is a teacher and I have four kids ranging from Elementary, to Middle School and High School.

Private school are the answer, my daughter teaches an early grade.
Private is better - both my kids went that route, but private schools today are comparable to a good public schools of 40 years ago.
Boortz once flailed repeatedly that private was the way to go, but the problem is the vast majority of private school teachers have been ruined by the woke public education they themselves received.

Homeschooling would be my preferred route today.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT