ADVERTISEMENT

I think a lot of factors contribute to a mass shooting

poorpreacher

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2003
I think a combination of breakdowns result in tragedies like Texas. So we don't have just one issue to address.

But I had a thought this morning, about one issue that doesnt seem to garner much attention, in these situations: the family.

I have 2 sons, ages 17 and 15. I dont want either one of them to buy an AR, when they turn 18. Now, they have been shooting since they could hold a firearm. But Im still not comfortable with them purchasing their own AR, at 18 years old. I may not be able to stop them, but you can be sure....if they do.....I'm going to be "all over it", especially if they are still living in my house.

This morning I was thinking about Texas. It hit me, "Where was this kid's daddy?". The boy was living with his grandparents. They SAY, they had no idea he bought the guns, or had any issues.

I cant say if daddy was around this wouldn't have happened. I don't know what the specific family situation was.

But maybe, just maybe more involved fathers would result in less mass shootings.

Again, there are many pieces to these puzzles. But I think they all deserve consideration and attention.

Common sense laws
Fund mental health programs
Enforce current laws
Get involved in your kids life!

Good points, your sons, like myself, my father and my son all learned about guns and gun safety from their fathers. Not to mention all of the other life lessons that are taught along the way.

The breakdown of the family started with a mighty push from LBJ and his Great Society. Most of the major problems in America today are a result of this breakdown of the nuclear family and the absence of fathers in boys lives. This quote is by one incredibly brilliant person who spoke about this issue for decades:

The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life.
Thomas Sowell

In 1965, when the Great Society began in earnest following the massive electoral landslide reelection of LBJ, the out-of-wedlock birthrate among the black community was 21 percent. By 2017, this figure had risen to a whopping 77 percent. In some cities, this rate is as high as 80 percent, with most of the unwed mothers being teenagers.

I think a combination of breakdowns result in tragedies like Texas. So we don't have just one issue to address.

But I had a thought this morning, about one issue that doesnt seem to garner much attention, in these situations: the family.

I have 2 sons, ages 17 and 15. I dont want either one of them to buy an AR, when they turn 18. Now, they have been shooting since they could hold a firearm. But Im still not comfortable with them purchasing their own AR, at 18 years old. I may not be able to stop them, but you can be sure....if they do.....I'm going to be "all over it", especially if they are still living in my house.

This morning I was thinking about Texas. It hit me, "Where was this kid's daddy?". The boy was living with his grandparents. They SAY, they had no idea he bought the guns, or had any issues.

I cant say if daddy was around this wouldn't have happened. I don't know what the specific family situation was.

But maybe, just maybe more involved fathers would result in less mass shootings.

Again, there are many pieces to these puzzles. But I think they all deserve consideration and attention.

Common sense laws
Enforce current laws
I agree with you 100%. That would be great, but never going to happen.
You or I would never allow our 18 year old purchase an AR, but a LOT of families don't even hardly know each other, much less what they are really up to on a day to day basis.
That's why IMO, there needs to be a ban on those style of guns for someone that young. Hell, don't you have to be 21 to buy smokes in GA? Just common sense stuff.
I am a gun owner and have a carrying permit, but I just don't get why anyone needs those style of guns designed for war, especially an 18 year old with no proper training.

Reactions: rednblack4life

Common sense laws
Enforce current laws
This guys dad actually bought the gun so he could raise hell. Looks like he and his wife are going to jail.

I agree with you 100%. That would be great, but never going to happen.
You or I would never allow our 18 year old purchase an AR, but a LOT of families don't even hardly know each other, much less what they are really up to on a day to day basis.
That's why IMO, there needs to be a ban on those style of guns for someone that young. Hell, don't you have to be 21 to buy smokes in GA? Just common sense stuff.
I am a gun owner and have a carrying permit, but I just don't get why anyone needs those style of guns designed for war, especially an 18 year old with no proper training.
I agree with most of this but I do take one exception. The AR-15 is not designed for war. That is a myth. The AR-15 just LOOKS like the guns used by the military for war.

I agree with most of this but I do take one exception. The AR-15 is not designed for war. That is a myth. The AR-15 just LOOKS like the guns used by the military for war.
Got cha. Still don't see the need for any guns that are not used for personal safety or hunting being sold to a non trained 18 year old.
That's JMO.

Got cha. Still don't see the need for any guns that are not used for personal safety or hunting being sold to a non trained 18 year old.
That's JMO.

I mostly agree with that sentiment. I own an AR. I barely use it and have considered selling it 100 times. It is fun, but not very practical. I can see a few unlikely scenarios, where an AR would be useful, in a defense situation. I keep mine, because there , in my opinion, a VERY thin line, between order and chaos in our society.

Good points, your sons, like myself, my father and my son all learned about guns and gun safety from their fathers. Not to mention all of the other life lessons that are taught along the way.

The breakdown of the family started with a mighty push from LBJ and his Great Society. Most of the major problems in America today are a result of this breakdown of the nuclear family and the absence of fathers in boys lives. This quote is by one incredibly brilliant person who spoke about this issue for decades:

The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life.
Thomas Sowell

In 1965, when the Great Society began in earnest following the massive electoral landslide reelection of LBJ, the out-of-wedlock birthrate among the black community was 21 percent. By 2017, this figure had risen to a whopping 77 percent. In some cities, this rate is as high as 80 percent, with most of the unwed mothers being teenagers.

That is because the left have no interest in repairing the problem. They just want a voter base. That is why the left has gone further and further away from social norms and trying to legitimize men who think they are women and let them dance for little boys.

In what society in the history of humanity was this normal. Maybe Rome right before its fall.

The truth is the problems are going to to get worse because the post nailed the problem. The nuclear family isn't encourage any longer.

Hendonism, feminism and all these liberal "theories" and ways of thinking are being taught in schools.

There isn't a liberal who isn't really hurting a child .

That is because the left have no interest in repairing the problem. They just want a voter base. That is why the left has gone further and further away from social norms and trying to legitimize men who think they are women and let them dance for little boys.

In what society in the history of humanity was this normal. Maybe Rome right before its fall.

The truth is the problems are going to to get worse because the post nailed the problem. The nuclear family isn't encourage any longer.

Hendonism, feminism and all these liberal "theories" and ways of thinking are being taught in schools.

There isn't a liberal who isn't really hurting a child .
speaking of not wanting to work on a solution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT